Elixir Phosphor Bronze alternatives

What's Hot
Really like these strings but they’re getting too expensive at nearby £18. 
Anyone got any recommendations? Preferably from people who like Elixirs, I appreciate not everyone likes coated strings. 

Cheers
Ronnie
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    You could try D'Addario coated, DR. Dragonskin. But I like Elixir, they're my second choice if I can't get Martin strings. Martin do coated versions - look for the "T" on the pack. Hope this helps :) 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5428

G'day Ronnie,
    Like you, I rather like Elixir strings. I use other products on various other guitars but they really suit my Maton spruce and rosewood 808. Also like you, I get annoyed with the company's consumer-unfriendly restrictive distribution policies. It's not so much being price-gouged, it is the inconvenience of not being able to buy them from my preferred retailers. Gets right up my nose.

So this year I have set out to find a good alternative. 

There are two reasons people like coated strings:

(a) For longer life
    (b) To minimise left-hand finger squeal.

I'm not too fussed about the former, even though it seems to be the main reason most people buy coated strings. I'm more interested in minimising fingering noise. Cleaner technique is the key, of course, but anti-squeal strings help a lot too, and short of flatwounds (and I'm not going there) Elixir seems to make the quietest strings around. Price aside, the downside is the objectionably plasticy feel and a certain lack of natural ring in the sound they make. Many people describe the Elixir sound as "unnatural" or "plasticky", and there is some truth in those taunts. 

Anyway, I'm on a quest to find strings that have most of the Elixir advantages and none of the disadvantages. Such a string may or may not exist, but I have here on hand the following candidates (prices in AUD: $1 is about 53p).

* Newtone double wound ($23.78)
    * D'Addario XT ($29.88)
    * Santa Cruz Parabolic Medium Tension PB coated ($32)
    * Curt Mangan Fusion Matched coated ($20.26)
    * GHS Americana PB. ($16.42) Not coated but "cyrogenically treated", whatever that means
    * D'Addario EFT16 Flat Top light ground wound PB. ($18.65)
    * Also, more Elixir sets for comparison ($26.95 ea.) and various uncoated sets

I have already tried:
    * Sfarzo Alloy 5109 bronze 12-54 (coated). ($12.77.) Awful. I took them off and threw them away after less than 24 hours.
    * SIT Silencers semi-flat 80/20 brass 12-52. ($13.32.) Excellent strings which I like a lot, but not really an Elixir replacement. Supposed to be "compression wound" and semi-flat surfaced for noise-free fretting. Despite a fairly smooth feel, even after plenty of Fast Fret, they squeal more than a bit. I have taken a shine to these and use them regularly on my other Maton. But not what we are looking for in this context.
    * Martin Retro monel 12-54. ($24.66) A completely different sound to phosphor bronze. If you can adapt to that sound - you will love it or hate it and you may well love it to bits on one guitar and hate it like poison on another - these have some very good points.  Nice and smooth under the fingers, and very quiet (hardly any left hand string squeak). They last forever - six months is a reasonable expectation. I really, really like the feel (smooth, gentle, but none of that Elixir slickness) and the lack of string noise. On the other hand, the sound is warm but flat and metallic. It may or may not work for you. (Be aware that Monel strings sound dreadful for the first few days, you *must* stick with them until they play in.)
    * Santa Cruz Parabolic Low Tension coated bronze. ($30.25.) Excellent. Great feel and balance, long lasting, great sound. String noise is only fair though. 
    * Rotosound Nexus coated 12s ($20.91) My favourites so far. Lots of life in these with a good balanced sound. A very nice feel, not soapy like the Elixirs - but much more squeak, alas.  

I'll update my string journal thread when I have tried a few more. But coated strings last for ages, so it is going to take quite a while to test them all. Good luck with your search and be sure to let us know how you get on.

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    edited September 2021
    Repetition by me from previous threads but, if cost is a major issue, don't forget Monel. They last so much longer than other strings. Tone very different though. Martin Retro 12's widely available. Mentioned by Tannin above.
    edited September 2021
    I have string-killing chemistry, that's why I use coated. But it's difficult to advise on  strings because there are subtle differences and the sound you'll hear is subjectuve. Then there's your guitar and all guitars are different. I'd say buy a bunch of different coated brands and you be the judge  
    My experience with Martin Marquis strings has been bad, if I can throw that in. I tried 6 sets, each one sounding dead straight out of the packet :(
  • Thanks for the input, I might try some uncoated for a change - my sweat seems to eat strings too but as I’m not gigging as regularly, it might be a decent trade-off. 
  • Jim Dunlop strings are pretty good. I have them on my Martin HD28. And at £6 a pack, they compete economically with Elixirs. 
    @jellyroll. Is that Phos Bronze or 80/20? :) 
  • 80/20
    Cheers! My guitar is an HD28 too but never tried JD strings :) 
    Just to add, I've heard good things about Pyramid strings. Made in Germany though easily found in the UK. The company was established in 1850 :) 
  • Toss up between D’Addario XTAPB’s £13 and Ernie Ball Paradign PB’s £10 atm. 

I've never used EB strings but D'Addario are pretty consistent. They do EJ16 and EJ17, both uncoated, 12s and 13s respectively :) 
  • Mellish said:
    Just to add, I've heard good things about Pyramid strings. Made in Germany though easily found in the UK. The company was established in 1850 :) 
    I really like Pyramid strings but they aren't coated, I'd recommend trying them though.
    @earwighoney. I've got a couple of Pyramid 80/20 (12-52 I think) and I plan to use a set for a gig this Friday :) 
  • Mellish said:
    @earwighoney. I've got a couple of Pyramid 80/20 (12-52 I think) and I plan to use a set for a gig this Friday :) 

Good luck with your gig!

Where did you get them from? I've not seen Pyramid 80/20's on sale aside from 7 string set on Thomann.
    @earwighoney. Got them from Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience my dear. Thanks for wishing my gig goes well :) 
  • Mellish said:
    @earwighoney. Got them from Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience my dear. Thanks for wishing my gig goes well :) 
    Cheers for the info, I'd have bought some if it was an online source but it's a real shop so I have to show some restraint!
  • I highly recommend Dean Markley Blackhawk coated phosphor bronze strings. They retail for about £11 a set in the UK and are almost as good as Elixirs in my opinion.
  • I highly recommend Dean Markley Blackhawk coated phosphor bronze strings. They retail for about £11 a set in the UK and are almost as good as Elixirs in my opinion.
    I have been using them myself but the last set I bought I wasn't impressed with at all. I bought my last two sets through Ivor Mairants in Leeds via ebay,a good set and a not good set.