Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

No Time To Die - WITH SPOILERS!!

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    FarleyUK said:

Also - PLEASE let Matt Berry be the next Bond!
    Then name's Bond, James You're so Money Supermarket Bond.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2398
    Haych said:
    FarleyUK said:

Would work even better with Richard Ayoade as Q.

"Oh for flip's sake Bond - I've just about had it with all these shenanigans."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    Haych said:
    FarleyUK said:

Would work even better with Richard Ayoade as Q.

"Oh for flip's sake Bond - I've just about had it with all these shenanigans."
    Can we start a petition?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    I am so in for Moss to be Q. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I loved it. Wanted to watch it again straight away. Not perfect, but really enjoyed the many subtle and not so subtle references and nods back to the old films.

I can see them just doing more Bond films with another actor. As has been said, each new Bond actor starts a new story arc. In fact, I think the Craig ones have been the only films where there is a continual theme and story all the way through. We could see a return to the standalone films of old. 

Whatever they do, it's big money and I look forward to it. 

Some thin bits of plot in this new one though. Notably, we never got to understand how Blofeld got the link up to his bionic eye? Was it through Madeleine? If so, how, why?

How come Bond just accepted Q's word on the nano virus or whatever it was? Pretty big decision to make

I'll watch it again, enjoyed it a lot
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22784
    edited October 2021
    I've just got back from watching it.  It's the first Bond for years that I've seen on a big screen (IMAX in fact, on this occasion) so that probably made a difference, but it seemed like a good one to me.

The two lengthy pre-credits sequences are absolutely spectacular.  Once it gets into the MI6/CIA/Spectre stuff it feels a bit more like standard Bond fare... the bit in Cuba is very silly, although Ana de Armas is wonderful (shame she's not in it more, but I'm very glad they didn't kill her off).  Rami Malek is, as reported, dullsville as the main villain ("we have more in common than you realise Mr Bond...".  Yawn.).  I'm not sure the new 007 actually adds very much although she's fine.  The Russian scientist is very irritating.

As for the big shock ending.... I'm not sure how I feel about it.  For a start it's not particularly shocking, and you know the character's coming back anyway, so it lacks a bit of emotional impact, although all concerned play it very well.  I don't think they needed to kill Bond off, although it's certainly a definitive end to the Daniel Craig era.

Where do they go next?  Bond is unique, whenever they replace the lead actor there's never really any suggestion that it's the same person - although it is! - and there's no real continuity of the storylines.  I don't think they'll go back and set it in the 1950s or something, Bond has always had a contemporary setting and I'd be surprised if they change that.  But it is a strange situation they've created, can you just ignore the fact that Bond (and Leiter and Blofeld) actually died in the previous film?  It'll be interesting to see where they take it.

(Oh, 163 minutes and I never fell asleep.  Go me!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Felix Leiter also died in one of the Dalton films I think.

I actually don't think the current story should impact the next. They should change up a few of the characters and simply reboot it.
    Didn’t he also die in A View to a Kill? 

edited October 2021
    Licence to Kill.  He gets chewed up by a shark(!) but doesn't actually die.

Of course Leiter is one of the most "replaceable" characters in the whole franchise, there have been more Leiters than Bonds!
    Haych said:
    He's not in it.  I think there's another CIA character who does get killed.
  • I’d seen or heard something about DC going out with a bang so wasn’t surprised when he copped it - even though I thought there was some contractual obligation to not kill Bond? 

I quite liked the little references to Bond being over the hill or old fashioned etc as opposed to trying to transform him into a modern PC version. I hope to god they don’t make a female Bond. I agree with Craig’s comments - write stronger roles for women rather than re-working existing characters. 

The whole Blofeld  thread seemed a bit of a waste to me - the predictable reveal on Spectre then a quick death in this one? Meh. 
    Malek’s character was a let down too. 

That being said, I bloody loved it!

Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:
    He's not in it.  I think there's another CIA character who does get killed.
    Ah, fair enough. I knew there was some CIA spook who met an untimely death in the film and somehow thought it was him.

Not watched that one in a loooooooong time though. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Don’t know if I missed the reference but what was the relevance of Remi Malik’s skin being so disfigured? 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5751
    boogieman said:
    Don’t know if I missed the reference but what was the relevance of Remi Malik’s skin being so disfigured? 
    That was essentially his ‘back story’. From the accident caused when Madeleine’s Dad killed his family for Spectre. 

I loved the film but I don’t think they gave nearly enough life to Malik’s character. Especially given how long it was. 
  • dazzajl said:
    boogieman said:
    That was essentially his ‘back story’. From the accident caused when Madeleine’s Dad killed his family for Spectre. 

I loved the film but I don’t think they gave nearly enough life to Malik’s character. Especially given how long it was. 
    or where he got the wealth to run his organisation and buy an island in the south china sea.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2398
    dazzajl said:
    boogieman said:

or where he got the wealth to run his organisation and buy an island in the south china sea.
    The island belonged to his family - it was their 'poison garden'.
    dazzajl said:
    boogieman said:

Or where he found enough henchmen equally willing to commit global genocide. 

Right from Dr No I always thought the recruitment process for job vacancies the villain had open would be problematic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Haych said:
    dazzajl said:
    boogieman said:

Or where he found enough henchmen equally willing to commit global genocide. 

Right from Dr No I always thought the recruitment process for job vacancies the villain had open would be problematic.
    I was more confused about his motives... first he wanted revenge on Spectre, then having done that (and remarkably easily) he decided he might as well just wipe out most of the rest of the world... just because.  Then he was obsessed with, or sort of in love with, Madeleine, then he seemed to have a plan of raising her daughter as his heir... and then he gave up on that in five seconds just because the kid bit him.  Fickle or what?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited October 2021
    I watched it last night in one of those small boutiquey Everyman Screens - only 50 comfy sofa seats - served up with a very large glass of Merlot. I enjoyed it (don't watch many films at Cinema anyway) - I grew up with Bond, completely get that in the main they are either a bit of a "cheese fest" or fail to match the Bourne type action series for thrills and spills or that the more they try to match up, the less "Bond" they feel. That said, 163 mins flew by - emerging from Cinema at midnight feeling content.

I was a little surprised that Jaguar Landrover ( who I assume paid money for product placement / association with the film?) allowed so many of their Range Rovers to be bounced off so easily by a tatty old Toyota Landcruiser? I mean we all know that that's what would happen in real life but even so, as a manufacturer paying money, I'd want my menacing 4WD bouncing everyone else's off the road?
    exocet said:
    I watched it last night in one of those small boutiquey Everyman Screens - only 50 comfy sofa seats - served up with a very large glass of Merlot. 
    Sounds nice, but drinking in the cinema would be disastrous for me.  I fall asleep in about 40% of the films I watch stone cold sober.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Philly_Q said:
    exocet said:
    I watched it last night in one of those small boutiquey Everyman Screens - only 50 comfy sofa seats - served up with a very large glass of Merlot. 
    Sounds nice, but drinking in the cinema would be disastrous for me.  I fall asleep in about 40% of the films I watch stone cold sober.
    I was a little surprised myself as that has been my experience when combining booze / film / comfy chair! Or even as you say with "no booze".