Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Return of the Rapier 33

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11562
    Offset said:
    Mildly similar vibe on his Eastwood - just far more cool :-)

...but I could see him with one...

FileThe White Stripes - Jack White 01jpg - Wikimedia Commons
    That's not an Eastwood :)
    Oooh I thought it was - what is it????
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11562
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

Ah shite - Airline???
  • Offset said:
    Offset said:

That's an original Airline resoglass (fibreglass) JB Hutto model from the early 60s.

They too were not luxurious guitars and I believe had no truss rods (hence particularly in later Stripes years it goes out of tune all the time) but that and the other red junkshop ones have been locked away in storage since the Stripes called it a day in 2010. Occasionally his hollow slide guitar comes out for Seven Nation Army, and he does play old Acoustic guitars, but the old junk electric guitar thing was pretty much only with the Stripes

/Fanboi mode ends
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just got 3 of these in the shop. They’re actually fab…totally unexpected! Think I’ll have one! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Somewhere  I have a 1960s Rapier 44, which... I like the idea of the ridiculous switching (which I never worked out and which may well be wired wrong, as some positions don't seem to do anything), the neck I remember as being better than expected. The worst thing about it was the very square, very thin body that seemed to have been made out of a shelf (and the fact that the nut had been filed for ridiculously thick strings). But if I could swap it for a more comfortable body, I'd be quite happy to have it for the idiosyncratic gold foil thing it's got going on. 
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 225
    I don't know how the original models were wired, but the modern versions are wired thus:

"1)The 3 way toggle switch on the lower horn, acts rather like a two pickup guitar, It accesses Neck, Neck and Bridge, Bridge, and these are controlled via Volume one.
    2)The first slide switch introduces the middle pickup into the mix, and this is controlled via Volume two.
    3)The second slide switch introduces a Bass cut, and this gives a rather typical jangly 60's sound, (Surf also) the Bass cut works with the toggle switch selections, but the middle pickup can be mixed in with it.
    4) The tone control when fully wound back gives a nice warm "Woman tone" without going too muddy (depending on your amp settings)."

Info taken from a Facebook posting by Alan Entwistle 
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    edited October 2021
    I never expected to see such a thing. I started playing guitar in 1963 and my first solid electric guitar was a Hofner Colorama. Not exactly a dream instrument but it got me through a summer season playing five gigs a week at holiday camps, £30 well spent! Of course it was swiftly dumped as soon I could afford the HP payments on a used Fender Telecaster. I don’t think that anyone really enjoyed playing those fairly terrible European made guitars, we all really wanted the real deal made in the USA. Nostalgia is a funny old thing but I suppose if you want one you’ve got to have it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    Teflon said:
    I don't know how the original models were wired, but the modern versions are wired thus:

"1)The 3 way toggle switch on the lower horn, acts rather like a two pickup guitar, It accesses Neck, Neck and Bridge, Bridge, and these are controlled via Volume one.
    2)The first slide switch introduces the middle pickup into the mix, and this is controlled via Volume two.
    3)The second slide switch introduces a Bass cut, and this gives a rather typical jangly 60's sound, (Surf also) the Bass cut works with the toggle switch selections, but the middle pickup can be mixed in with it.
    4) The tone control when fully wound back gives a nice warm "Woman tone" without going too muddy (depending on your amp settings)."

Info taken from a Facebook posting by Alan Entwistle 
    That actually sounds like a pretty well thought out setup.

I think my favourite non traditional switch setup for a 3 pickup guitar is probably the one Matt Oram uses on the Fidelity Stellarosa, which has two independent 3-way switches, one for neck and bridge combinations, one for combinations with the middle pickup, and a 2-way to select between them. Super flexible, and once you get your head around it (or in my case once someone’s explained what’s going on and how it works!) perfectly logical and easy to work with for something which gives that many combinations…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    A bit more info here: https://www.musicradar.com/news/rapier-33-electric-guitar  Looks like they can be bought for around £399.  Have to admit, I'm sorely tempted, but it would be hard to justify as I already have 4 electrics, and my playings not that great, so that's probably already 4 too many  B)
    Well this guy seems to like it The Rapier Returns - YouTube  Have to say the video hasn't done anything to diminish my yearning for one!
  • I had a watkins rapier that belonged to my dad when he was a kid...its was shit. Action a mile high, almost unplayable and def not a great guitar to learn on as a beginner!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited October 2021
    Hmmm...I'm beginning to think that the new 33s actually a bit nice and is growing on me, especially in all white. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    I had a watkins rapier that belonged to my dad when he was a kid...its was shit. Action a mile high, almost unplayable and def not a great guitar to learn on as a beginner!
    Fortunately, I think the similarities between the originals and the re-issues are purely cosmetic.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    Voxman said:
    Hmmm...I'm beginning to think that the new 33s actually a bit nice and is growing on me, especially in all white. 
    I just really, really hate that crooked middle pickup - it's an absolute deal-breaker for me. I'd maybe consider a 22 if they made one. I agree the white is the best-looking - and I'm normally not a big fan - but the blue is also quite nice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Voxman said:
    I just really, really hate that crooked middle pickup - it's an absolute deal-breaker for me. I'd maybe consider a 22 if they made one. I agree the white is the best-looking - and I'm normally not a big fan - but the blue is also quite nice.
    It's definitely quirky I agree but it is very distinctive and different.  I seem to recall the G&L Asat special also looked odd with a slanted rectangular pickup.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I’d buy one.  I used to play a 22 back in the day 
    I had a watkins rapier that belonged to my dad when he was a kid...its was shit. Action a mile high, almost unplayable and def not a great guitar to learn on as a beginner!
    My cousins Rapier 44 was similar and it's neck was quite thick as I recall. 
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:
    I know what you mean - it's very awkward looking.  Has to be there though, as it really evokes the look of the original and to my mind it just nails that eccentric look that so many Brit guitars of yesteryear seemed to have. A bit like Fenders ugly sister  :).  I think I like it all the more because of the centre pickup.

My one (minor) complaint is that the headstock is too nice looking. The original headstock was oddly stretched and was a pretty ugly affair. I would have loved it if they had been brave enough to replicate it, but then I would probably be the only one to buy one!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Might get one just to annoy people in this thread. @JamesSGBrown what's the neck like mate? 
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    edited October 2021
    As far as I know, Rapier guitars were never sold in the USA ( I could be wrong), so I have never played one, much less ever seen one. All I know is, reading articles over the years, I have seen many British guitarists mention they started on a Rapier and it was a total piece of junk. The Rapier looks somewhat like the Magnatone Typhoon guitar. 

The guitar nostalgia phenomenon continues unabated. About 8-9 years ago, the Supro Company of Long Island, NY, released a line of amps and guitars based upon the old 50's and 60's designs. The amps did pretty well, but were frightfully overpriced. The guitars were cheap and overpriced, but they looked cool. Basically, they were a flop, and Supro ended up blowing them out to dealers at greatly reduced prices. About two years ago, Supro was bought out by the corporation that produces D'Angelico guitars. The guy running Supro totally screwed his marketing up; he tried to turn Supro into a purveyor of higher end gear, when everyone remembered it as budget student stuff and it backfired in his face. 

I bought a Supro white Holiday guitar direct from the company and it needed over $200 worth of work to get it playable. The Sahara model I got a few months ago from Texas blues guitarist Lance Keltner is much better by far, so maybe I just got a bad one.  
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ.