Cover Challenge 16 "C"

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited October 2021
    Habanero said:
    Snap said:
    my youngest, who's studying music A level, and is quite an accomplished bassist and pianist can't understand the hype around Comfortably Numb. I explained how the solos are so highly regarded and her view was "what's so clever about them, its a bit boring".

Personally, I love the track, but it is very over hyped

I've never really warmed to Pink Floyd at all, I think partly due to the slightly dour lyrics and vocal delivery. Then last year I wrote and recorded a song about the pandemic, and a good friend said it reminded him of Roger Waters!
    I don't mind them but I find a lot of it very middle of the road. They are one of those bands that you are "supposed to like" if you know what I mean. Queen are another - really not for me at all. Dull.

I think I am going to have to start from scratch with this cover. I don't like what I've done so far, it's a mess. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited October 2021
    I've just decided to try to recreate the "Cardiff" backing with no vocals. It's become a bit of an obsession.

I'm using it as an exercise to try to replicate the sounds. I'm not even sure I'll finish it at this rate, but I'm learning a lot in the process.

And, if I do finish, I don't expect any votes.

It's not a competition.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 248
    Snap said:

I don't mind them but I find a lot of it very middle of the road. They are one of those bands that you are "supposed to like" if you know what I mean. Queen are another - really not for me at all. Dull.

I think I am going to have to start from scratch with this cover. I don't like what I've done so far, it's a mess. 
    I quite like Queen, their first album being the first proper cassette I ever owned. Another of my crimes though is not really liking Led Zep.

I'm mixing my attempt, and concluding that compression is a dark art. It's not Cardiff, but 5,260 miles away.

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    I've just decided to try to recreate the "Cardiff" backing with no vocals. It's become a bit of an obsession.

I'm using it as an exercise to try to replicate the sounds. I'm not even sure I'll finish it at this rate, but I'm learning a lot in the process.

And, if I do finish, I don't expect any votes.

This is a good thing to do! I did that with Hand Cannot Erase. Purely an exercise in tone matching and production. I learned so much in the process. 

And obsession is right, you get so close and then … “I can get this closer”. Good luck!! 
    Habanero said:
    Snap said:

I quite like Queen, their first album being the first proper cassette I ever owned. Another of my crimes though is not really liking Led Zep.

I'm mixing my attempt, and concluding that compression is a dark art. It's not Cardiff, but 5,260 miles away.

Compression is indeed a dark art, and very cool if you can get to grips with it. I use it a lot, in the hope that eventually it will work properly! 

In fact, mixing, EQ, compression, etc etc is all a dark art. And then you have the weird thing that is mastering, It's all a bit of a stab in the dark for me, and I started doing PC recordings in err....about 1995!

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Snap said:
    Habanero said:
    Snap said:

Compression is indeed a dark art, and very cool if you can get to grips with it. I use it a lot, in the hope that eventually it will work properly! 

In fact, mixing, EQ, compression, etc etc is all a dark art. And then you have the weird thing that is mastering, It's all a bit of a stab in the dark for me, and I started doing PC recordings in err....about 1995!

Come and hone your skills in the mix challenge then:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3088739#Comment_3088739
    poopot said:

Personally I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

I only started on the home recording road in January 2020, and used Garageband 'because it was there'. Then a couple of weeks ago I bought my first plugin, and as it has an AU version I concluded it would work with Garageband. It does, but I then discovered that GB has limited midi features, so it doesn't work fully. Consequently I'm now a Logic Pro X owner with another learning curve.
    poopot said:

It's having the time mate tbh. I don't have enough of it. 
    Habanero said:

Consequently I'm now a Logic Pro X owner with another learning curve.
    You have everything you need already with logic ;)
    Sent in my 'C' entry. I still have the 45rpm vinyl single I bought all those years ago and played over and over again.
    Habanero said:
    Sent in my 'C' entry. I still have the 45rpm vinyl single I bought all those years ago and played over and over again.
    I have got it, will try to upload later but I’m just off to have another injection in my eye ball so prolly won’t be in any shape to boot the Mac up!
    poopot said:
    Habanero said:
    I have got it, will try to upload later but I’m just off to have another injection in my eye ball so prolly won’t be in any shape to boot the Mac up!

Ouch! I may have the same at some point in my future.
    edited October 2021
    poopot said:
    Habanero said:
    Macular oedema or similar? My Dad has that and has regular jabs, he swears by the stuff, really sorts him out.

Cardiff - have rejigged my effort and I think I am back on track. I found that I needed to put down a test vocal line to get the flow of the track. There is very limited variation, musically, in it, so I am finding it needs other markers in it. THe original has quite defined sections, but in terms of notes, it doesn't vary a lot. Sort of threw me initially. So, it's a good song choice as it's a bit off kilter in terms of structure, IMO of course. 

Who else finds that they start off with a clear idea of the vibe you want but then it veers off into a different path? All the time for me.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Snap said:

So, it's a good song choice as it's a bit off kilter in terms of structure, IMO of course. 

Who else finds that they start off with a clear idea of the vibe you want but then it veers off into a different path? All the time for me.
    Glad you're enjoying the song choice, I promise I do think about them hard for that very reason.  Something different or intereting to play with.  Even if most people hate my choices completely and with malice :-)

My ideas always vary from inception to completion, I've abandoned 2 versions of this already and am running short on time now. I am going to basically do what you've done next, record a version of just acoustic rhythm and vocals and build around that.  See where it takes me.
    Snap said:
    poopot said:
    Habanero said:
    Macular oedema or similar? My Dad has that and has regular jabs, he swears by the stuff, really sorts him out.

Yeah… doesn’t seems to be working for me tho’… but… mine wasn’t bad enough to warrant the “A” list drug but it was bad enough that it causes issues with work (photographer) so they have me on an unlicensed drug that’s not as effective…
    poopot said:
    Snap said:
    poopot said:
    Habanero said:

Yeah… doesn’t seems to be working for me tho’… but… mine wasn’t bad enough to warrant the “A” list drug but it was bad enough that it causes issues with work (photographer) so they have me on an unlicensed drug that’s not as effective…
    So, I'm guessing you are on Avastin (bevacizumab)? To be fair it is near identical to one of the licensed products Lucentis. It's an isomer of it I think. 

you should push them on it -- there is now a biosimilar of Lucentis available - so a cheap identical copy now that Lucentis' patent has expired. don't take any excuses from them!!

Bezzer said:
    Snap said:

So, it's a good song choice as it's a bit off kilter in terms of structure, IMO of course. 

Glad you're enjoying the song choice, I promise I do think about them hard for that very reason.  Something different or intereting to play with.  Even if most people hate my choices completely and with malice :-)

My ideas always vary from inception to completion, I've abandoned 2 versions of this already and am running short on time now. I am going to basically do what you've done next, record a version of just acoustic rhythm and vocals and build around that.  See where it takes me.
    I like the original, especially the acoustic version. I listened to the album off the back of it, those chaps can play some
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    Entry sent in, a cover of Gary Clark Jr's cover of Come Together.
    My first time using reaper/programming drums and first time recording anything in a long time! 
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    enjo said:
    Entry sent in, a cover of Gary Clark Jr's cover of Come Together.
    My first time using reaper/programming drums and first time recording anything in a long time! 
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    Not got anything from you… where did you send it?