Bourgeois - holy crap

What's Hot

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Tombstone is better
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I had a Bourgeois D and I didn’t like it either. The OM sounds beautiful, the D just sounded meh. Beautifully made but just a bit bland to play and record. But the OM is the opposite. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lol @Andy79 I'm going to presume you mean Turnstone?
    I played two Turnstone guitars at the Birmingham guitar show a few years ago. I am told they were bog oak. They sounded great, but I wouldn't have walked out with them. I know that she is a fantastic builder and I am told (I'm blind so cannot verify) that visually her guitars are beyond compare. But not my thing. No disrespect intended of course lol.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited October 2021
    lol @Andy79 I'm going to presume you mean Turnstone?
    I played two Turnstone guitars at the Birmingham guitar show a few years ago. I am told they were bog oak. They sounded great, but I wouldn't have walked out with them. I know that she is a fantastic builder and I am told (I'm blind so cannot verify) that visually her guitars are beyond compare. But not my thing. No disrespect intended of course lol.

I think there are two guitar brands at play here.  The Touchstone (or Tombstone) which was being referred to by Andy is the collaboration between Eastman and Bourgeois, yet to be released.

The ones you have tried are a single luthier is Turnstone in Surrey with a high reputation.

• TanninTannin Frets: 5429
    So if they turn out to be no good, I guess we will call them Ruddy Turnstones. :)
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Only got one Bourgeois , a Soloist. Possible the best OM I have ever played, never mind owned ( and I own quite a few ). I really hope that the new Eastman relationship does not dilute the perception on a great small shop builder.
  • I don’t think the Sheerans have affected the Lowden brand, so hopefully not. 
  • Honkycat said:
    I don’t think the Sheerans have affected the Lowden brand, so hopefully not. 
    I suspect it did have a bit of an impact on Avalon but they didn’t differentiate the brands. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5429
    Honkycat said:
    I don’t think the Sheerans have affected the Lowden brand, so hopefully not. 
    Hmmm ... They haven't done it any good, that's for sure. But probably the company can still sell every Lowden it makes, so maybe that doesn't matter.
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    I own a vintage D - age tone Adirondack / Madagascar rosewood and a country boy D - adi / mahogany.

killer guitars.

I also own 2 Collings and a Santa Cruz, but I gotta say the 2 bourgeois get all the play time

The only thing that gives them a run for their money is my recently acquired Marklund D28… if you’ve never heard of Per Marklund check him out, incredible one man builder in the north of Sweden 
  • BingMan said:
    I own a vintage D - age tone Adirondack / Madagascar rosewood and a country boy D - adi / mahogany.

killer guitars.

I also own 2 Collings and a Santa Cruz, but I gotta say the 2 bourgeois get all the play time

The only thing that gives them a run for their money is my recently acquired Marklund D28… if you’ve never heard of Per Marklund check him out, incredible one man builder in the north of Sweden 
    Good to see Per's name mentioned here.

I have one of his guitars, a 00-21S repro.
  • Just as I'd convinced myself my Martin was good enough, I've discovered that in May we're going to be staying with a 15 minute drive of Dream Guitars, who currently have an even prettier Bourgeois and a bunch of other builders I've never even heard of but look spectacular...

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/instruments/guitars/steel-string-guitars/flattop/shopby/dreadnought.html
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    The interesting thing was how our different playing styles suited different instruments, even though the Brooks weren't the most expensive of the ones we tried they suited my friend's playing perfectly. The one which suited us both equally was a spruce/Walnut Larrivee OM-03. Some of the high end UK style instruments, eg Lowden, sound awful in my hands.

this, in buckets QED
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:
    The interesting thing was how our different playing styles suited different instruments, even though the Brooks weren't the most expensive of the ones we tried they suited my friend's playing perfectly. The one which suited us both equally was a spruce/Walnut Larrivee OM-03. Some of the high end UK style instruments, eg Lowden, sound awful in my hands.

this, in buckets QED
    So the answer is to go and play ALL THE GUITARS? :D 

I don't disagree (at all). I know Lowden stay things don't really work for me. I used to really like Taylors and could still probably gig one quite happily but wouldn't buy one for home. Martins and old small mahogany things seem to be my happy place.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568

you had to ASK ? =)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just as I'd convinced myself my Martin was good enough, I've discovered that in May we're going to be staying with a 15 minute drive of Dream Guitars, who currently have an even prettier Bourgeois and a bunch of other builders I've never even heard of but look spectacular...

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/instruments/guitars/steel-string-guitars/flattop/shopby/dreadnought.html
    Dream Guitars is great. I am very tempted to repatriate that lovely Sobell Model 1 cocobolo they have there, even if Stefan's workshop is only 40 miles up the road from me. 
  • bertie said:

you had to ASK ?
    Just checking!! 

artiebear said:
    Just as I'd convinced myself my Martin was good enough, I've discovered that in May we're going to be staying with a 15 minute drive of Dream Guitars, who currently have an even prettier Bourgeois and a bunch of other builders I've never even heard of but look spectacular...

Dream Guitars is great. I am very tempted to repatriate that lovely Sobell Model 1 cocobolo they have there, even if Stefan's workshop is only 40 miles up the road from me. 
    Have you had any interaction with them before? 

It's these two that have caught my eye..

Braz/Adi Bourgeois:

Madagascar/Adi Circa with a fantastic red shade in the back. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertie said:

you had to ASK ?
    Just checking!! 

artiebear said:
    Just as I'd convinced myself my Martin was good enough, I've discovered that in May we're going to be staying with a 15 minute drive of Dream Guitars, who currently have an even prettier Bourgeois and a bunch of other builders I've never even heard of but look spectacular...

Have you had any interaction with them before? 

It's these two that have caught my eye..

Braz/Adi Bourgeois:

Madagascar/Adi Circa with a fantastic red shade in the back. 

Only dealt with them while living in the States, but I would highly recommend their professional approach to any transaction. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11893

add Goodall guitars to your list

add Goodall guitars to your list
    They look a bit fancy for my liking!