Gilly’s derailing of the Facebook outage thread

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8591
This discussion was created from comments split from: Facebook, insta and WhatsApp down.
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GillyGilly Frets: 1123
    Chris.B said:
    Obviously it's the Government's incompetence isn't it?
    Well they fuck up pretty much everything else so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said: 
    Gilly said:
    Gilly said:
    Just for some serious context here - to all the “Facebook and Instagram are for the degenerate low life’s in society” naysayers that populate the fretboard… I, as well as many other guitar businesses rely heavily on social media to reach my customers and fan base. Most of the outages are minor and last for an hour or two at most. But I haven’t seen one that takes out both simultaneously for this long. I only found out about it when I went to post on Instagram. 

Without this (free) method of getting info out to my followers I can’t continue effectively as a business. A website will only get you so far, we live in the day and age of social media (with or without the haters). So, hopefully it’s fixed soon. And I hope some insight from myself speaks for a few fellow businesses of similar size that provide goods and services for you guys. 
    Facebook has huge negative impacts in society, from destabilising democracy, allowing the spread of false information and not doing hardly anything to stop bullying and trolling on a epic scale. A recent study showed Instragram has a negative effect on teenagers’ mental health and Facebook tried to hide it. They always to avoid taking any responsibility for any of the negative aspects of the platform.

So, sorry if you don’t like the fact that many people hate Facebook, for good reason. If your business relies on it, that’s your choice, but we don’t have to like it for your benefit.

And we don't have to take this one-sided paranoiac fantasy seriously. 1 

There are so many people complaining about their newsfeeds and what they see. Well guess what motherfuckers.... YOU CHOSE TO SEE IT.
    I’m not on Facebook.
    And it’s a better place because of that!!!!
    Great contribution! I’m astounded by your superior wit.
    @gilly a lot of things we now rely on have negative impacts for a lot of people. Did you vote conservative?

Further context about Facebook - seeing as you are a self confessed non user of the platform… I found my father on it. After 32 years on this Earth I actually found where half of me comes from. Because of this, I also found my fathers side of the family and 4 siblings I didn’t know I had. It turned out I was the eldest of 5.

So, everyone can take from social media what they want. If they use it. If you don’t use it you can quote all the horseshit of the day about bullying, cover ups etc etc etc (tbh, that sounds exactly like my school life) but please don’t try to dress me down because your non existent experience of social media matters more than mine because you can point to news paper reports and stats. Social media is what you make of it, as @WiresDreamDisasters has said there is a “log out” option. 
    Bullying is “horseshit”. Just, wow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Gilly said:
    poopot said: 
    Gilly said:

I’m not on Facebook.
    Couldn't give two fucks as to what astounds you or what you think of me tbh!…

fact is you’ve logged on to one form of social media to bitch about another form of social media having a negative impact…

my irony meter sort of broke when I read your comments…
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Gilly said:
    poopot said: 
    Gilly said:

I’m not on Facebook.

fact is you’ve logged on to one form of social media to bitch about another form of social media having a negative impact…

They may both be ‘social media’ but they’re completely different. I don’t think the Fretboard is going to ever be accused of destabilising democracy any time soon. Not really difficult to understand is it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    Gilly said:
    poopot said:
    Gilly said:
    poopot said: 
    Gilly said:

I’m not on Facebook.

They may both be ‘social media’ but they’re completely different. I don’t think the Fretboard is going to ever be accused of destabilising democracy any time soon. Not really difficult to understand is it?
    now that sounds very much like a challenge to me. Accepted. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Can the pointless bickering stop?
  • octatonic said:
    I disagree. ;)

Bye!

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    octatonic said:
    Unlikely.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    Gilly said:
    poopot said:

It does get fairly heated in P&E from time to time… and then there’s emps car thread, that is set to derail the entire automotive industry!…

like others have said, you see what you want to see on Facebook… if you don’t like clowns don’t go to the circus!!!!.

Also, less of the patronising questions at the end of your comments and maybe a less condescending tone would endear you to the rest of this forums membership and not make you seem like such a knobend!…
    SRich said:
    octatonic said:
    Unlikely.
    whilst it is often problematic or even downright dangerous to use past behaviour to predict future events, in this case past behaviour tells us that it is, indeed, unlikely. 

This is all coming down to those who use Facebook and Instagram for a specific reason vs those who denounce it for a variety of issues they have had or have read about. If you don’t use these platforms, fine. But to try and use another online platform to say that the aforementioned platforms are pointless, dangerous or will one day be obsolete is a combination of ironic, ignorant and arrogant. 

You might be posting your opinions on a forum with minimal traffic (compared to Facebook) but you are still using the internet to push your ideals on others who seem to be able to manage their other social media perfectly fine. 

But, I’ve got little else to add without embellishing more on my personal experiences on social media which I don’t care to do right now.
    Not all social media platforms are the same. How hard is that to understand?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Gilly said:
    poopot said:

It does get fairly heated in P&E from time to time… and then there’s emps car thread, that is set to derail the entire automotive industry!…

like others have said, you see what you want to see on Facebook… if you don’t like clowns don’t go to the circus!!!!.

Also, less of the patronising questions at the end of your comments and maybe a less condescending tone would endear you to the rest of this forums membership and not make you seem like such a knobend!…
    You waded in with your sarcastic comment and now you’re throwing insults around and giving me unsolicited advice. I’ve no idea why.

The issue with Facebook is wider than just “you see what you want to see”. I don’t go there, I’m not on it as I already said. But I can still take issue with it as a platform, even if I don’t use it.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Gilly said:
    This is all coming down to those who use Facebook and Instagram for a specific reason vs those who denounce it for a variety of issues they have had or have read about. If you don’t use these platforms, fine. But to try and use another online platform to say that the aforementioned platforms are pointless, dangerous or will one day be obsolete is a combination of ironic, ignorant and arrogant. 

You might be posting your opinions on a forum with minimal traffic (compared to Facebook) but you are still using the internet to push your ideals on others who seem to be able to manage their other social media perfectly fine. 

But, I’ve got little else to add without embellishing more on my personal experiences on social media which I don’t care to do right now.
    I understand social media perfectly well, thank you. I know it well enough to grow a business off the back of it, avoid personal issues that others have mentioned and keep a mortgage paid and family of 5 fed from earning on it. I’ll bid you farewell and good luck. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    octatonic said:
    Can the sun rise in the west?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11305
    JezWynd said:
    octatonic said:
    Yep. -sigh-
    Gilly said:

I understand social media perfectly well, thank you. I know it well enough to grow a business off the back of it, avoid personal issues that others have mentioned and keep a mortgage paid and family of 5 fed from earning on it. I’ll bid you farewell and good luck. 
    Scott…

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    JezWynd said:
    octatonic said:

Might be easier to achieve than stopping pointless bickering on here.
    poopot said:
    Gilly said:

Scott…

I don't think he's a troll (erm, I assumed their gender there, I may be in need of some reeducation), he's presenting a different point of view. It's unfair to call him a troll. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Gilly said:

Scott…

Says the man who joined the thread just to have a pop at me, called me a “knobend”  and hasn’t actually contributed anything at all to the debate about social media.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.