Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Help. Was Pink Floyd prog rock?

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10691
We are struggling with this at home. 
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3684
    edited October 2021
    I’d say yes, but probably the struggle you’re having is the eternal existential question “What is Prog?”

which coincidentally is the title of my, surprisingly unrealised, 9 disc song cycle..
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    edited October 2021

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2944
    edited October 2021
    They are listed under

Psychedelic/Space Rock

on progarchives. 'Wish you were here' is their highest ranking album: #3 on the Progressive Rock Top Albums list. DSOM is #6, Animals #9.

Definition of Prog and sub-genres: Here.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    I feel like they borrowed elements of prog but were not "pure" prog in that sense. Their early-mid career material toes the prog line more than the later stuff of course - 'Meddle' might be their proggiest, but little snippets still show up here and there later on too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Prog is a weird genre, because it isn't really a genre. Anyone can write a song that comes under the label of prog but it doesn't make them a prog band.

In answer to the question - most definitely yes. I say this because I hang out a lot in prog places online, and they are one of the 'hallowed' prog bands - Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELP etc. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Yeah defo prog rock in my book. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    All you good and lovely-looking people who have said ‘yes’ are right, but keep them coming. We need a lot of evidence here. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Do you have to wear cloaks and wizards hats or doublet and hose to be proper Prog?
    Asking for a friend ......

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Maybe in later days but in their post-Syd to WYWH they were progressive, not prog. 
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    I love post Syd era Floyd but I don't really like Prog, at least not any of the other bands mentioned above. Make of that what you will.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Of course they're prog rock. 
  • I'd say yes.

It's not a competition.
  • Do you have to wear cloaks and wizards hats or doublet and hose to be proper Prog?
    Asking for a friend ......

How many keyboards did their keyboardist have? Does it satisfy the prog threshold?
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    This is excellent, cheers folks, and to have the endorsement of @Proggy is definitely going to help. 
  • Prefer frog rock meself:

• Or perhaps:

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    viz said:
    All you good and lovely-looking people who have said ‘yes’ are right, but keep them coming. We need a lot of evidence here. 
    C'mon people,  a fellow forumite needs help here.

Yes, of course they're prog and I should know.  I have a First Class Honours Degree in Progressive Rock from Oxford University*

* actually it's a 2.1 in Physics with Electronics and Instrumentation from Leeds University but facts shouldn't be allowed to get in the way of a domestic dispute.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Prog Floyd.

Proggie McFloyd Face. 
  • I think Floyd are one of the bands that actually define what prog rock is. You know, those bands that if you're a bit like them, then you're Prog too.

A bit like when people* say things like "Is Black Sabbath really Heavy Metal?". 

*Idiots

• No……..No.  Pink Floyd existed long before the term “Prog Rock” came into being. I used to go and see them back in the days when they played in a cinema in Cambridge, which had a bit of a stage in front of the screen. You also could just turn up and buy a ticket at the door.