Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SQUID

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
How tae watch this....subtitle wise?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited October 2021
    You gotta read them. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    tae be or not tae be
  • It’s mainly English dubbed and is excellent.

Alice in Borderland is also excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I went for subtitles. Apparently, they're pretty bad and not much better than dubbed in terms of translation quality, going as far as to miss some minor plots and tropes. I hope this is addressed.

However, that said, I'm half way through and it's very good nonetheless. If the subtitles were more accurate, apparently it's even better! 
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1123
    Is the suggestion that dubbed English translation is better than the subtitles? I usually always watch subtitles with foreign films because dubbing never sounds right for obvious reasons. But if the dubbed version was better translated I would watch that.

I’m not sure why the subtitles are supposed to be so bad though? From the little I’ve read about it someone had said that the subtitles weren’t always accurate and that some nuances and cultural references had been lost. But that’s true of virtually all translations. They can never be 100% accurate. 

So is this translation worse than other Netflix dramas? I’m not sure why that would be the case. To be honest I wouldn’t worry about it. You’ll get most of the meaning whichever way you watch it and I doubt your enjoyment will
    be affected by subtle differences in meaning.

• Gilly said:
    Is the suggestion that dubbed English translation is better than the subtitles? I usually always watch subtitles with foreign films because dubbing never sounds right for obvious reasons. But if the dubbed version was better translated I would watch that.

I’m not sure why the subtitles are supposed to be so bad though? From the little I’ve read about it someone had said that the subtitles weren’t always accurate and that some nuances and cultural references had been lost. But that’s true of virtually all translations. They can never be 100% accurate. 

So is this translation worse than other Netflix dramas? I’m not sure why that would be the case. To be honest I wouldn’t worry about it. You’ll get most of the meaning whichever way you watch it and I doubt your enjoyment will

I'm not sure as I don't speak Korean myself, but I've friends who do who pointed out some relatively subtle, but culturally relevant plot points that I did not know about. I don't think it'll affect my enjoyment of the show but they were confident the translation could have been better than it was (and knowing it'll never be entirely the same of course!). 
  • I watched it with subtitles and dubbed audio and I thought it was excellent.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited October 2021
    Hootsmon said:
    Yea I know. You still gotta read them! :lol: 
    Gilly said:

I'm not sure as I don't speak Korean myself, but I've friends who do who pointed out some relatively subtle, but culturally relevant plot points that I did not know about. I don't think it'll affect my enjoyment of the show but they were confident the translation could have been better than it was (and knowing it'll never be entirely the same of course!). 
    I’m sure it could have been done better but I suppose the question to your friends would be is the translation much worse than other Korean programmes?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Watch it in Korean with subtitles for God's sake.  (Almost) nothing should ever be watched with a crappy English-language dub.

I read an article regarding the subtitles debate which said the person who initially raised the complaint was talking about the closed-caption subs for the hard of hearing.  Apparently the "proper" English subs are better, although of course they're never going to pick up every detail and there may be South Korean cultural references we wouldn't understand anyway.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    Just finished the 1st episode with regular subs and it was all good
    tae be or not tae be
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 459
    Watched it in Korean without subtitles - no idea if it’s good or not. 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I came here thinking this was about the edible, sea-dwelling cephalopod. 

I read it thinking it is still about the edible, sea-dwelling cephalopod. 

All I know is that Korean squid come with subtitles. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    edited October 2021
    Just finished the last ep.  Great series but the english dubbed audio was shite.  Should have gone for korean audio / english subtitles.  

Or better yet, quickly lean korean  
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    In Korean with English subtitles.

Not the english(CC) subtitle option.   These are the subtitles of the dubbed version, and lose some meaning 
    WezV said:

Not the english(CC) subtitle option.   These are the subtitles of the dubbed version, and lose some meaning 
    Now it makes sense. So there’s nothing wrong with the English subtitles after all. It’s basically a non-strory. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    WezV said:

Ah, is that what they did?  That makes sense.  They're dubtitles, which are always rubbish.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Yeah, dubbing has fit what you see, so changes whole sentences, hopefully with a similar meaning.

Subtitles have to fit within a certain space on the screen, so miss words out and condense sentences

The Subtitles of the dubbed version have to do both, and a lot can be lost.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11807
    Watched it the weekend it came out, it’s good.  Some episodes better than others.  But I don’t think it matters how you watch it, the crux of the story doesn’t hinge on it.
  • I binged the entire thing in one day.
    Hated the dubbed English - didn't realise I could've watched with the subtitles and original Korean audio. Would've much preferred it that way but oh well! 

Really enjoyed the series though.