Do you have a style? Is it a blessing or curse?

What's Hot
Open_GOpen_G Frets: 146
No matter what type of stuff I try to play, and I’m not great technical virtuoso. I always sound like me. I’m playing David Gilmour or Mark Knopfler licks in the style of “me”

Im trying to emphasise the blessing side but but it’s annoying when trying to play something accurately 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken. I think it's better to sound like an individual rather than a clone. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited October 2021
    I’m sure that’s true of most of us. The reason that people like Knopfler, Robert Cray, Keef, Clapton, etc are instantly recognisable is precisely because they sound like themselves.

So, like @merlin says, be yourself (unless of course you can be David Gilmour - then be David Gilmour).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I think I do have something of a style, the basis of which comes from not using a plectrum. If I use a plec it sounds less like me, plus also doesn't feel 'right'. 

In some ways it feels like a curse as I can play faster and more accurately with a plec, but I definitely choose not to use one overall.
  • Bruce Lee described his martial art as an accumulation of all styles - a style-less style.

For unrelated reasons, I have no style ;) 
  • Yes, I think so. I can pick certain things up very quickly that fit with that style, and I can make arrangements and versions of other music in that style also very easily and relatively effectively. And unfortunately that style is largely and consistently at odds with the music I actually like, hence I'm stuck in a perpetual battle between playing what I can do but don't like when others are listening, to playing what doesn't suit me but I enjoy when nobody is listening
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom