Ovation acoustics, are they still going?

What's Hot
Just watching Simon & Garfunkel’s show in Central Park and noticed that Paul uses a couple of them as well a session guy in the band backing them. 

I think they were known for being good live instruments. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5400
    Actually, they were well-known for being awful. But in those days there wasn't anything else acoustic you could play at decent volume on stage, so Ovation was the go-to for live performance in the 1970s. 

Ovation was yet another of the successful acoustic guitar makers bought out by Fender (along with Tacoma and Guild). Fender apparently wanted Ovation mostly for their modern factory in Connecticut. Fender shut down the Tacoma factory in the Pacific North-west and shifted Guild production to Connecticut alongside Ovation. Later on, Fender shut down that factory too, buying in all Ovation-branded guitars from cheap contractors in Asia. 

Like Guild, Ovation was eventually sold and is now a real company once again. They make a small number of top-end guitars in Connecticut but the vast majority come out of somewhere undisclosed in Asia.

I have played a few Ovations while guitar shopping recently. Yep, they used to be awful back in the day, but that was 40 years ago. Presumably (I thought) they would have improved a lot since then. They haven't. Just as awful as ever. But for reasons I don't pretend to understand, some people like them. Maybe you will. Try one and see. You'll know inside 20 seconds whether it is a possibility or not.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    I have never played one, but as you say probably not a lot of live options to chose from in the 70’s 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5400
    It's a sound. Most people hate it but some people (according to the chap in the guitar shop) really go for it. His one word for Ovations was "polarising". I dislike the sound and I hate the way they slide off your knee - you can't play them without a strap - but give one a go. You never know.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, they're certainly idiosyncratic. I've had experience of quite a few, though I usually only bother with the super-shallow body ones, as I find them comfortable to play. The build-quality does vary quite a lot over the years - older ones are built like tanks, 2000s ones not so much, and maybe they've got beefier again now they've moved production back to the U.S., and beefier is definitely better. And, of course, they sound unusual. They certainly don't sound like "proper" acoustic guitars, either acoustic or plugged-in, but I don't find the sound particularly ugly. Good for lead playing, if you want to do lead playing on an electro-acoustic.  

I suspect what most people see is the lower part of the range (and the budget Applause series, which I really don't like). 

I have a couple of Ovation nylon-string guitars - one from about ten years ago, the other one from the 1970s - that I prefer to more traditional nylon-string electro-acoustics I've had (rock solid into a PA, at open mics and so forth, and I like the acoustic sound a lot, too). 

Definitely an acquired taste, but not unacquireable. 

Anyway, mileages vary. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Disliked all I tried in person but Al di Meola got a really good sound out of his. Adrian Legg by contrast sounded awful.
  • My Dad has one and the neck is amazing. very electric feeling. His high E popped finally through bridge after 25 years of looking like it was going too, so currently looking into repair, which is silly on a 70 quid guitar or whatever, but oh well.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    When I saw Billy Ocean the other week he pulled one out for the ‘unplugged’ section. So, I had that gosh I’d forgotten they existed moment. 
    A friend of mine had one and I tried it ( maybe ten years ago now) and it was so keen to slip off my leg that I found it unplayable sitting down. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30867
    The only guitar that gets literally closer to the audience as you play it.

By saying that, I love them.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    They were the first tolerably good electro-acoustic, which is why they were popular with professionals in the 1970s. They have a very distinctive sound, which you may or may not hate...

Interestingly the piezo bridge pickup - which is a complete encapsulated unit with the soft plastic saddle, unlike later ones (eg Fishman, Baggs) which use a separate transducer under a standard hard plastic or bone saddle - is a real tone-killer. If you've ever played one of the rarer *non*-electro models you will probably be surprised how good they sound as an acoustic.

The sliding-off-your-knee problem is annoying though, and they even try to rotate into 'lap steel position' on a strap.

Fun trivia fact - Charles Kaman, who founded the company, made the money which allowed him to go into guitar manufacture by making composite helicopter rotor blades (made from a very similar material to the guitars) which were supplied in huge numbers to the US military during the Vietnam war... somewhat ironic given that many of the guitarists would have been committed opponents of the war.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Brian May (Love of My Life, 39 etc) seemed to get a very good sound

melissa Etheridge has played them since the 80s and she gets a good sound on record and live, and she knows her guitars
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    A friend had a non-electro model in the early 80s. My recollection was that it played and sounded wonderful.
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 581
    Richie Sambora uses them, particularly the double neck on Wanted Dead or Alive when playing live. Think he has a signature model. He had a triple neck back in the 80s too which had a mandolin I think?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I was gonna say Richie Sambora , yes the triple neck was totally rad
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    The round back makes them unusable.

A housemate had one (a proper full fat US one) when I was a student in the early 90s.  My acoustic sounded better, despite nominally being about a quarter of the value.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    An Ovation was Val Doonican's guitar of choice. Joan Armatrading another fan :) 
  • Had one in the 80’s great guitar despite the round back swivelling when played standing up and the awful sweaty patch you got playing one under hot stage lights due to the plastic back. 

Then I discovered Fylde guitars and never went back!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited October 2021
    Ovation is now a subsidiary of a company called Drum Workshop . I met Charles Kaman at the Chichester guitar festival . The music business was his hobby . He developed the Ovation guitar for stage performance. The idea was to have a robust instrument that had the best electronics and be distinctive from a distance.       
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    Fylde guitars deserve their own thread - Super instruments, I have an Alchemist. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5356
    I hadn't seen or played one since the late 80s/early 90s until yesterday afternoon, when a chap pulled one out at an open mic. It wasn't the worst sounding guitar there, although how much of that was down to the players and how much the instruments.

I remember the neck being very friendly for electric players, but the sound being a bit thin and bright (at least unplugged - plugged in you can mess with it a bit).
  • Mellish said:
    An Ovation was Val Doonican's guitar of choice. Joan Armatrading another fan :) 
    That's really because there wasn't much choice for an amplified stage guitar and they looked cool at the time.