EHX DMM Nano!

What's Hot

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited October 2021
    roberty said:
    I've regretted every blow out I didn't participate in (Gibson NR Firebirds and 2015 Juniors come to mind)
    Same here*, I'm just lucky in that I really don't need this because I already have a DMM. D 

* I guess a cynic would say that I wouldn't know if I would have also regretted taking part in those blow-outs I missed! D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3541
    nonesuch said:
    I got my Xvive Echoman too, and to be honest I'm finding it slightly disappointing.

The modulation is weird, the chorus goes way too wide (for my preference) into detuned territory, and the vibrato is just too fast. Saying that, my other analog delay is a Rubberneck, and the modulation on that is even more extreme and unusable in my opinion (apart from at ultra low levels). 

The main issue I have with the Echoman is the odd sweep of the blend control. It works in a different way to any other delay I've had, in that it goes from dry signal only to delayed signal only. But this has the effect of making the 'dry' signal quieter as you increase the volume of the repeats. So if you have the blend any higher than about 10 o'clock, the dry signal seems quieter when you tun the pedal on. Does anyone else think this?

Compared to the Rubberneck, the Echoman definitely has less noise or hiss on the repeats. So that's a good thing at least!

So I think what I'm looking for in an analog delay are low levels of noise, and the ability to control speed AND depth of the modulation. Subtle not warbly is what I'm after. Any ideas. Nano DMM???

https://www.andertons.co.uk/robert-keeley-magnetic-echo-delay-magneticecho?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAjw5c6LBhBdEiwAP9ejG2ughMqS_1phqo4fTAX1a7-fGHwbUnw_cfSJ1ywVjPRr8BWK914mRBoCiqIQAvD_BwE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, really enjoying this. The last year I've solely worked In The Box and used plugins for all my delays...no matter how dark things get on analog emulation, I could never get a sound like I'm getting with this Echoman...I'll post some clips when I can be bothered. But I'm quite happy with my £50 quid spent. Cool pedal. Will probably still get a DMM Nano to run in stereo and just because, but this is a cool pedal to have. Can't have too many MN3005's I guess ;-)

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Yep, really enjoying this. The last year I've solely worked In The Box and used plugins for all my delays...no matter how dark things get on analog emulation, I could never get a sound like I'm getting with this Echoman...I'll post some clips when I can be bothered. But I'm quite happy with my £50 quid spent. Cool pedal. Will probably still get a DMM Nano to run in stereo and just because, but this is a cool pedal to have. Can't have too many MN3005's I guess ;-)

Are you using it at line level as a plug in, or on the way in?
  • @mburekenge ;On the way in, directly into my interface. But I have an amp and loadbox coming next week so will be going straight into the input of that soon.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Ooh! Horrible aliasing at long delay times on the Nano - I'm out.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited October 2021
    Just don't turn it up to long delay times, surely? It was good of Cousin Greg to make a video for us though. 
  • danodano Frets: 1592
    edited October 2021
    Big Box DMM sounds better, just has that classic darker tone.

Can't see me parting with my big box DMM for a looooong time.

The nano sounds good, I  may well pick one up for band use.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    Just don't turn it up to long delay times, surely? It was good of Cousin Greg to make a video for us though. 
    It doesn't have a ton of delay time, though... I'm not sure quite how much the nano has (I seem to remember it's similar to the XO DMM, maybe slightly more), but I know with my XO DMM, I actually wish it had a little more for e.g. solo delay. So it's possible that people might be pushing the delay time to the max for certain things, and if it can't do that as well as it should...
  • Absolutely right

• That video is literally useless as a comparison. At no point does he even tweak the delay time on his big box unit. So trying to make a comparison with the "aliasing" (it is not aliasing btw) aspect between cranking the delay time on the Nano and leaving the big box at a slapback setting with a shorter delay time... which is about twice as fast as the nano...

.... just isn't an apples to apples comparison. 

What an absolutely abysmal and useless and downright dishonest video.

Bye!

… it is not aliasing btw …
    My mistake then, sounded too low to be clock breakthrough.

But it does sound bad. To be fair, there are (and have been) delays where as a ‘feature’ you could under-clock the delay line to get gnarly messed-up repeats - DOD FX96, DMM TT550 - but that’s not what I would want from one of these.
  • Aliasing is a digital phenomenon. It wouldn't affect an analog delay. What were hearing is the chips being pushed towards the end of their usable range.

Loads of delays do that. The DM2 is kinda famous for it, as is the original memory man when the delay time is fully tits.

He wasn't comparing like for like, probably because he's emotionally invested in his big box.

Bye!

Aliasing is a digital phenomenon. It wouldn't affect an analog delay. What were hearing is the chips being pushed towards the end of their usable range.

Loads of delays do that. The DM2 is kinda famous for it, as is the original memory man when the delay time is fully tits.

He wasn't comparing like for like, probably because he's emotionally invested in his big box.
    I understood that aliasing is caused by under-sampling, which can happen in both analog and digital sampling. I’ve definitely heard aliasing from analog delays that have been pushed to excessive delay times.

• Keefy said:
    Aliasing is a digital phenomenon. It wouldn't affect an analog delay. What were hearing is the chips being pushed towards the end of their usable range.

I understood that aliasing is caused by under-sampling, which can happen in both analog and digital sampling. I’ve definitely heard aliasing from analog delays that have been pushed to excessive delay times.

I'm pretty sure what you're referring to is a different thing.

Bye!

• Bye!

Never mind, happened to me once, about 1989 I think.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shite. Sold it after a few hours. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Shite. Sold it after a few hours. 
    Which, EHX DMM Nano or Xvive Echoman? And can you elaborate?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Keefy said:
    Shite. Sold it after a few hours. 
    Which, EHX DMM Nano or Xvive Echoman? And can you elaborate?
    Think I may have been slightly tired when I wrote that initial comment. The Nano. I have a 90’s big box I’ve used forever and I bought the Nano with hope of enjoying some convenience but it’s just nowhere near. Sounds weedy. The OG DMM has that weird syrupy homogenous quality that the Nano doesn’t seem to have. I don’t know if it’s a voltage thing, a chip thing, preamp thing. I’d imagine if you didn’t have a big box to compare it to it’d make someone very happy. For me it was night and day.