Stones drop Brown Sugar from US tour set list

What's Hot

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Completely dodgy but, come on, are we going to insist all similar songs are never played live again?That’s a LOT of Delta and Chicago blues tracks…

Should Nick Cave drop Stagger Lee from the live show?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    Chuffola said:

Oh I dunno, " Murder Ballads' pretty much covers the trade descriptions requirement  ;)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Chuffola said:
    Completely dodgy but, come on, are we going to insist all similar songs are never played live again?That’s a LOT of Delta and Chicago blues tracks…

Nick Cave does have a number of dodgy lyrics:

'A fag in a whalebone corset dragging his dick across my cheek' comes to mind.

But it depends on context.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Agree, of course that it depends on context and was being a little facetious.

Difficult to know where the line needs to be drawn.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Philly_Q said:

I wonder how Ram Jam are feeling at the moment ?
    Black Betty is a traditional African American song, Betty is usually thought to be a whip. Made famous by Leadbelly long before Ram Jam. There was a campaign to get the Ram Jam version banned at the time it was a hit, sometimes in these discussions it’s as if being offended by something was invented yesterday. 
    Context and interpretation I guess. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18729
    @Chuffola  & @EricTheWeary ;
    '
    Difficult to know where the line needs to be drawn.'
    '
    Context and interpretation I guess.'

I agree, these retrospective revisionist views can sometimes get a bit out of proportion.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1469
    Its their song, they can do what they want with it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    Philly_Q said:

Black Betty is a traditional African American song, Betty is usually thought to be a whip. Made famous by Leadbelly long before Ram Jam. There was a campaign to get the Ram Jam version banned at the time it was a hit, sometimes in these discussions it’s as if being offended by something was invented yesterday. 
    I thought black Betty was about a musket?
    munckee said:
    Philly_Q said:

There seem to be various interpretations. But not traditionally about a black woman called Betty. 
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 137
    Regardless of where you stand on dated lyrics/worldviews, I think the news around this now makes it very difficult to play this song to an audience.
  • munckee said:
    Philly_Q said:

Are you thinking of the Brown Bess, perhaps? That's what the musket the British Army used for a long time was called.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Is it possible that - like any good bar band - they all had one song in the set list that each member gets to decide every night without argument, and this was Charlie’s…? ;) 

But seriously… it’s a great song with lyrics that don’t really stand up to modern scrutiny, and it’s hardly like they’re struggling to fill the set list every night, is it?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
    George Orwell springs to mind. 
    Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddie said:
    Woke makes weak. Why not stand up for your right (to party) to play your own songs. Who cares if it causes the looney left to pee themselves.
    Thank god we'll be around long after you boomers. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Philly_Q said:

There didn’t seem to be any problem with it being played in Vegas the other night, just before the Fury/Wilder fight. 
    RobDavies said:
    Philly_Q said:

There didn’t seem to be any problem with it being played in Vegas the other night, just before the Fury/Wilder fight. 
    I'm not sure that professional boxing is regarded as a beacon of political correctness
    Unless it has changed radically in the last two or three years a pro fight still resembles a 1970s blaxploitation movie more than anything from the 21st century. 
  • FastEddie said:
    Woke makes weak. Why not stand up for your right (to party) to play your own songs. Who cares if it causes the looney left to pee themselves.
    Thank god we'll be around long after you boomers. 
    I hate to break it tae yae, fellae. But one day.... you'll be the boomer ;)

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Jalapeno said:Always thought it was about Heroin :/

Me too!
    mick is a bit of a mumbler and I’d not made out much of the lyrics. 
    Is no idea till i just read them in this post
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    They could replace Brown Sugar with a couple of their lesser known tracks, like 'Miss Amanda Jones' and '2000 Man'
    because demerara.
    Sorry.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    munckee said:
    Philly_Q said:

I thought it was about the Landmines which are called Black Betties......infamous for being spring loaded so that they jump up off the ground a meter high to explode at chest level rather than just blowing a leg off