What are your interesting gear combinations/ sounds that most people probably haven't tried?

What's Hot
No idea what category this should be in.

By this I mean any combination of gear/ settings that you use and enjoy and think most people probably won't have tried. Could be a secret weapon £15 pedal or £6k worth of amp blending, or a way of using gear that most people won't have thought of.

Here are two examples;

- For a few months, I gigged a JMP50 combo through a Vox 2x12 with Alnico Golds. It was the best I ever heard golds sounding, i really didn't like them with my AC30 but somehow with the JMP the presence/ sizzle/ low end paired really well.

- The middle position on my Gretsch Duo Jet with TV Jones pickups - a Brian Setzer Filtertron in the Bridge, and a t-armond single coil in the neck. Gives this really interesting notched midrange, kind of like position 2/4 on a strat but thicker and spankier, and particularly the low strings have this ultra deep twang I've never heard from anything else. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    Compressor pushing a Boss OD3 with single coil pickups.

Massive lead tone.

Warhog into Peacekeeper is the Thorpy magic trick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30881
    Using a Lazy J and a vintage blackface in stereo with stereo delay.

(Although I know both @PC1971 and @fretfinder are also fans of this little plutocratoic amp configuration....)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited October 2021
    Couple of clean boost pedals in the loop - easier and quieter than a volume pedal (plus you can use the 2nd one as a kill switch if you like)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 684
    Cocked wah pedal for more interesting lead tones. Set to desired position, use bright onions latching / momentary loop to bring it in. I have a v1 Budda Bud Wah but any wah you like the sound of will do :)
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • boss gt-10 touch synth....wish i hadnt sold mine :(
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Compressor pushing a Boss OD3 with single coil pickups.

Massive lead tone.

Warhog into Peacekeeper is the Thorpy magic trick.
    Hmmm, I've got both these pedals but never tried this. How do you set them if you don't mind me asking? 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Demiurge Black Mountain signal (Broastcast Dual clone) gain set low/mid into Team Medic. Foof.....! 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    Les Paul with a Marshall. Can't believe nobody else does it.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Gibson the Paul goldburst into a WEM amp (or two).
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited October 2021
    Super Fuzz into a Phase 90, absolutely wild

Spring reverb into reverse delay
  • The Vox amp model on the Zoom G3 multifx, with cab sim off, direct with no reverb. Perfect Velvet Underground guitar sounds
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    Old comb and baking paper 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    edited October 2021
    I've got a Rasptop Super Divider that is quite rare. It's probably rare because it is so tempermental. You have to blend the octaves just so and none of the controls are labelled, When it 'works' it is amazing. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    Managing volume and tone through right hand muting
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited October 2021
    roberty said:
    Super Fuzz into a Phase 90, absolutely wild

I was impressed with the sound you got at the end of Richard III at the recent jam and asked you about it at the time. I know it was a Phase 90 but what was the drive you used? I think it might have been some sort of Rat pedal.

It's not a competition.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited October 2021
    Piezo mic on a didgeridoo, hooked up to a tremolo. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Pedals of choice ( varies ) into self built Fuzzdog Noisy cricket into Marshall 4 x 12, massive sounds at low volume.
    Noisy cricket is 'apparently' similar tone to a Fender Bassman, crazy I know, but that is where it all began.
    Never ceases to amaze me, and makes me wonder why I bother with amps sometimes.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I fitted my Tele with a bridge humbucker, a P90 in the neck and a single coil in the middle. 5 way switch and position 2 split the humbucker. Lots of good sounds, although I currently have a different config.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    A Rickenbacker just DI'd as if it was an electro-acoustic works surprisingly well. Most electric guitars don't sound great like that - solidbodies sound too hard and strident, and most humbucker guitars a bit muddy, but a semi-acoustic with single coils seems to work quite nicely. It doesn't sound quite like a normal electro-acoustic, but it's a good and usable tone.

More complex, a Rickenbacker guitar used in stereo, neck pickup DI'd straight to the PA with a bit of delay on it as the 'electro acoustic' sound, and bridge pickup through overdrive into a guitar amp or amp simulator into the PA. It sounds almost like an acoustic and an electric being played at the same time - the delay and overdrive produce very different results from pick transients and sustained notes, especially within chords. I've also tried it by splitting a mono signal from a guitar and it doesn't work as well, not sure quite why - it must be the difference in harmonic content from the two pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein