Composition Challenge #33 - And the winner is...

REMINDER OF THE THEME
The theme for this one is: music for a SciFi film or TV show

To encourage entries the theme isn't mandatory, but you might get more votes if you do something that's in some way linked to the theme. That depends on how individuals choose to vote.

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory.

WINNER
The winner of Composition challenge #33 is:
1st: @Snap : 21 points : Congratulations

2nd : @stratman3142 : 16 points
3rd : @Springywheel : 10 points

Winning entry below:
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice one, snap 
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 248
    Congratulations @Snap , a worthy winner
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited October 2021
    thanks everyone! Glad people liked it, I enjoyed the comp, reet up me alley!
    I'm always interested in what people use in their tracks, so here's what I used

A load of impact and riser type samples - stuff I've collected over years from mostly magazines, also a couple of risers from Rise & Hit.
    Drums/percussion - Damage & Action Strikes
    All synths except a couple were from Komplete - Pharlight, Action Strings, Hybrid Keys, Factory Selection, then I've got an organ from Omnisphere 2, a lead from Super 8, couple of pads from Massive X and an arp from Oddity 2. 23 tracks in all.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 248
    My effort was recorded using Garageband.

I used some samples from The Matrix film that I found on moviewav.com, the end explosion came from soundbible.com and the beats came from a collection on the musicradar.com website.

The synth part in the first section used a little M-Audio keyboard and a Garageband preset. The bridge in the middle used another preset with a random arpeggiator to represent the sound of the data.

The guitar part used a Charvel tuned to drop D (first time ever!). The amp was the Garageband clean pre-amp with the crunch being provided by a Wampler SLOstortion pedal. The feedback used a Digitech FreqOut pedal, and I used a Boss HF-2 Flanger on the second half to try to give some spinning movement.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2021
    Snap said:
    thanks everyone! Glad people liked it, I enjoyed the comp, reet up me alley!
    I'm always interested in what people use in their tracks, so here's what I used

A load of impact and riser type samples - stuff I've collected over years from mostly magazines, also a couple of risers from Rise & Hit.
    Drums/percussion - Damage & Action Strikes
    All synths except a couple were from Komplete - Pharlight, Action Strings, Hybrid Keys, Factory Selection, then I've got an organ from Omnisphere 2, a lead from Super 8, couple of pads from Massive X and an arp from Oddity 2. 23 tracks in all.

Here's a link to all the entries
    https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/214691/voting-for-composition-challenge-33/p1

Every VSTi on my track was from Native Instruments. I usually start with a preset then tweak it to suit.

Like @Snap I used NI Damage for the drums, based on the 'LPS Epic Tech Full' Preset.

Also, like @Snap I used NI Pharlight. There are two instances of Pharlight. One was based on the 'Shark Tank' preset and the other based on 'Dots'. It was a bit of a struggle for my PC as Pharlight is very CPU intensive.

Other NI VSTi's are listed below together with the preset the sound was based on.

NI Arkhis - based on 'Floating Orchestra' preset

NI Evolve - based on the Strings & Transitions 'Tritone Screams' preset

NI Brass Ensemble - based on 'Horns Sustain' preset

NI - String Ensemble - based on 'Basses' preset

The only non Native instruments stuff was
    Valhalla Room VST (bus reverb) - based on 'Large Room' preset

Ozone 9 VST on the master track - I let it run its AI (Master Assistant) to come up with the mastering then probably tweaked things a bit.

It's not a competition.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited October 2021
    In addition to guitars (Les Paul and Strat through a Laney DI via Sabbra Cadabbra), I used Omnisphere, Falcon & NI FM8, plus a load of SFX from freesound.org. FX are stock FL Studio plugs, other than Valhalla Vintage Verb and Eventide Blackhole.