Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should I just buy a JCM800?

What's Hot
mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
edited October 2021 in Amps
Alright chaps - I’m on the verge of pulling the trigger on a JCM800 (the 20w version), but then it was suggested to me that I should check out a Victory Sheriff 22 as I’d be able to get the JCM thing and Hendrix sounds in the same head. 

I have very little experience with Victory Amps, so my question here is two fold:

a) any Sheriff owners want to comment on whether this is a reasonable ask from this head?

b) If I want to do the JCM thing I should just buy a JCM right?

Cheers in advance for any wisdom…
"Filthy appalachian goblin."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    You could also buy a DSL as the crunch channel is JCM 800 based.

Alternatively you can't go wrong with an 800.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    I also asked this question on Reddit and in that thread over there I inadvertently answered my own question with “there really is no other amp that does what the JCM does as well as it”, but the premise of having cranked plexi and JCM in the same head is pretty compelling…
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4511
    edited October 2021
    I don't know whether this works with the SC20, but plugging ino the low input of a JMP 2204, cranking the master and using the input gain for volume puts you in plexi territory.

(From about 3:40.)

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited October 2021
    It might be worth checking out the 20w Jubilee as well. It does the modded 800 thing on the lead channel and can sound almost identical to the 20w JCM800 on the rhythm clipped clean channel. Dial down the gain and you can do the Hendrixy stuff too. The Jubilee is probably my favourite Marshall (other than a 1987x) it just does everything very well and I kinda like that it flies a bit under the radar and isn't the standard choice. I actually prefer the 20w one to the 100w, just feels nicer to play to me.
    Hadn’t considered the jubilee, thanks. 
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Get the 800 and never look back 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
    Ffs how many movies have you watched where the message is

You mainly regret what you don't do not what you do do
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ffs how many movies have you watched where the message is

You mainly regret what you don't do not what you do do
    So you’re saying I should buy both amps. I like the cut of your jib. 
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 361
    Check out Brunetti’s Pleximan. It’ll do what you want very nicely.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Surely the best solution is to get a full fat JCM800 s/h and wait whilst it goes up in value :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    The JCM800 will do ‘the Hendrix thing’ as well, you either turn the preamp volume down or use the Low input.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I really really miss my JCM800 2203 reissue. Really miss it. 

Way better cleanish sound than any other JCM I've played, wasn't really high gain, a bit picky with drive pedals. Sounded MEGA. 

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited October 2021
    Full fat, I've had 2 reissue 2203's and they're amazing amps.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    ICBM said:
    The JCM800 will do ‘the Hendrix thing’ as well, you either turn the preamp volume down or use the Low input.
    Couple of people have said this now, seems I completely missed this the last time I had a 2203 
    Thanks for comments everyone. Seems the general consensus is I should just skip the 20w and just buy the 2203 :+1: 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited October 2021
    If you have the money and are able to use it at a decent volume (or have a decent loadbox etc) then yeah I'd go full fat, it has that girth and fullness you don't always get with low wattage. The SC20H sounds great but it doesn't punch you in the chest the same

I'd also seriously take a look at the 1987x if you're going for a big'un. It might be my favourite "classic" Marshall. Bit fatter and warmer than a 2203 and feels nicer/more forgiving to play. A bit looser and spongier in the low end without a TS style boost to filter out some low end but I reckon you could still play heavy stuff on it no problem.
  • I’ve got to say this thread isn’t helping my Marshall SC20H hankering, which I thought I had under control. 
    TTBZ said:
    If you have the money and are able to use it at a decent volume (or have a decent loadbox etc) then yeah I'd go full fat, it has that girth and fullness you don't always get with low wattage. The SC20H sounds great but it doesn't punch you in the chest the same

I'd also seriously take a look at the 1987x if you're going for a big'un. It might be my favourite "classic" Marshall. Bit fatter and warmer than a 2203 and feels nicer/more forgiving to play. A bit looser and spongier in the low end without a TS style boost to filter out some low end but I reckon you could still play heavy stuff on it no problem.
    I have a load box, I was mildly concerned about the additional space the full fat one would take up but I’m sure I can find room :sweat_smile: 
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    I didn't read the first post, but yes, yes you should.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom