RIP Alan Hawkshaw

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
A superb composer.  You might not have heard of him, but you know his music.  His contributions to the KPM Archive included Grange Hill, Countdown, Dave Allen at lLarge, Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World amongst many others.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    I read this last night - quite the CV, wasn't it!

RIP, and thoughts with his loved ones.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Nitefly said:
    I read this last night - quite the CV, wasn't it!

RIP, and thoughts with his loved ones.

Very much so.  I love old library music, he was one of a generation of British composers who created a massive catalogue of brilliant music.  People like David Lindup, Keith Mansfield, Laurie Johnson etc.

Amazing composers and arrangers.  Alan was up with the best of them, and his Hammond work was very classy too:

• The KPM Allstars (with The Hawk at the centre) were quite the live band. It's surprising how rousing the Grandstand Theme could be, pumping out of a PA. He was a fantastic Hammond player, too.
  • hawk_eyehawk_eye Frets: 13
    edited October 2021
    I've had this favourited on YouTube for ever. As soon as I hear the first bar, I'm transported back to my childhood Saturdays.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    Love Hawkshaw's stuff, and was sad to hear he'd died. He was unbelievably prolific - once you dip into the libraries and start to see his name all over the place, it's like opening Pandora's Box (in a very cool way!)

Along with the Winstons who recorded the B-side that the Amen Break was lifted from, Hawkshaw's 'The Champ' must be gunning for the world record of 'having the absolute crap sampled out of one tune'. Plus it's an absolute banger, always puts a smile on my face when I hear it.

I was down the rabbit hole the other day, and saw that someone on YouTube compiled a list of all the library music used in the Sweeney. Naturally, Hawkshaw was all over it. I love that old sleazy UK funk so much.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    edited October 2021
    What a bloke he was. There's no area of golden TV that he didn't touch. RIP Alan.

I think this is my favourite of his - superb theme used on a superb show.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    What a bloke he was. There's no area of golden TV that he didn't touch. RIP Alan.

I think this is my favourite of his - superb theme used on a superb show.

This is my favourite piece of his work, we played it just after my wife and I were married:

• An amazing talent and sad loss. RIP.

I apparently (according to mom) spent many weekends at Alan's as a baby whilst he and my old man worked on stuff.

Si
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom