PA/speaker for vocals at rehearsal

What's Hot
Hi all,

I've recently started to jam with a band, playing heavy rock music, and the 'PA' that is present is a crappy Behringer or something single speaker arrangement with no reverb or anything - and I can barely hear myself sing above the band.

I've been offered an Alto TS-310 (apparently 2000 watts but but I'm not sure what means in real world volume...2000 W peak (1300 LF + 700 HF) 1000 W continuous RMS (650 LF + 350 HF)).

Any thoughts on whether this might do the job?  It's literally for rehearsals and nothing else.  I might need to add a reverb box, mixer or something.

Thanks!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The alto should do the job, but without knowing the rating of the Behringer can’t really compare the two. Nb there is no reverb on the alto , that will have to be added at the desk. As to your main problem of hearing yourself may I direct you to the numerous other threads concerning guitar volume and monitoring
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • @maltingsaudio It’s the drums that are the biggest problem! 

I’m wondering if I might be better with another compact solution that’s all in one. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    Watts are not a good measure.  Peak is almost meaningless, 'music power' is meaningless and RMS gives you an idea but loudness also depends upon speaker efficiency.

In the rehearsal room the limiting factor is usually how loud you can push the vocals before you get feedback.  There are things you can do to improve the situation such as using a cardid or supercardiod mic and making sure that the speaker is aimed at the back of the mic (null).  Holding the mic correctly (not too close to the grill) and EQing out troublesome frequencies also helps.  Reverb usually makes things worse.

The Alto is a good speaker for the price (I have the older 210).  In your situation it is probably best used as a floor monitor.
  • @maltingsaudio It’s the drums that are the biggest problem! 

I’m wondering if I might be better with another compact solution that’s all in one. 
    Your best option is a set of headphones, if it’s just rehearsals take a feed from the desk, 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • @Musicwolf I’ve a Shure SM7b, which I’ll try. 

@maltingsaudio There's no desk :(

My band, Red For Dissent
    @Musicwolf I’ve a Shure SM7b, which I’ll try. 

I've no first hand experience of the SM57B but it's a large diaphram and quite sensitive for a dynamic mic - I have a nasty feeling that it might be more prone to feedback.

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    edited October 2021
    @Musicwolf I’ve a Shure SM7b, which I’ll try. 

@maltingsaudio There's no desk
    On the back of the Behringer there will be an in for the microphone and a line out ie a male and a female xlr. Sport £20 for one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-HA400-Microamp-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000KIPT30/ref=asc_df_B000KIPT30/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309964054975&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16520997364859911753&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006502&hvtargid=pla-362879265511&psc=1&th=1&psc=1. And plug the output of the speaker into the input of the headphone amp and you can then feed up to 4 headphones
    Nb because you are plugging your mic straight into the speaker I am assuming it is active ie has its own amp on board.

if you are using a separate amp to power the speakers then that should have an in and out on the amp input. Do not connect the headphone amp to the speaker out of the amp or you’ll release the magic smoke
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Find somewhere else to rehearse 
     The band need to hear you as well

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    Find somewhere else to rehearse 
     The band need to hear you as well

Happy to buy some gear - the room is free!  Just not sure what I need for a small room and four-piece band.

My band, Red For Dissent
    It’s the drums that are the biggest problem! 

Aren't they always, and not just because of the volume.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited October 2021
    Hi all,

I've recently started to jam with a band, playing heavy rock music, and the 'PA' that is present is a crappy Behringer or something single speaker arrangement with no reverb or anything - and I can barely hear myself sing above the band.

I've been offered an Alto TS-310 (apparently 2000 watts but but I'm not sure what means in real world volume...2000 W peak (1300 LF + 700 HF) 1000 W continuous RMS (650 LF + 350 HF)).

Any thoughts on whether this might do the job?  It's literally for rehearsals and nothing else.  I might need to add a reverb box, mixer or something.

Thanks!

If you've got transport/space I'd go for an old fashioned solid-state mixer amp/speakers arrangement like this (nothing to do with me, just the first thing I found on a quick web search).

The old stuff is surprisingly cheap on the secondhand market and the old-scool class AB power amps seem to give more 'bang-for-buck' than the modern class D stuff. More reliable too - almost bomb-proof.

I'd echo what's said above regarding placement and getting maximum volume in the room before feedback.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    The drummer can fit damping rings on the drums and use Hod Rods to lower the drum volume without affecting his feel or touch.  Drums should not be a problem.

Guitars and bass can lower their volumes.  It is vital that the vocals can be heard by all the band members.  It is their job to support the lead vocalist, it is not the vocalists job to provide a platform for the lead guitarist.  Get that right and everyone avoids potential hearing damage.

It should not be necessary to have a KiloWatt of PA in a small room.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    I would think it will be fine. The big room my band uses has two of them, and they're easily enough to keep up with the racket the rest of us make. Using only one won't make a big difference other than to coverage - if you put it in a corner facing outward it should still fill the room.

The power rating is 'imaginative', I think - but in any case it's more about headroom for transients than continuous output.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    It’s the drums that are the biggest problem! 
    Going slightly off topic, I used to be of the opinion that it was the capacity and size of the venue that determined how much power you needed from the amp(s) - I’m (belatedly) coming to the conclusion that actually it’s whether the drummer is disciplined, or happens to be a Neanderthal with anger-management issues.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it