Fitting neutrik plugs to fender tweed cable

What's Hot
I seem to have an excess of broken fender tweed cable. There doesn't seem to be much point in re-soldering the plugs as they're the weak point.  Is it worth salvaging the cable and fitting neutrik plugs? Are there any compatability issues? 
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    The fault with the Fender plugs .... at least all the ones I have seen is they pull tight the hot conductor and then solder it. This means a slight yank on the cable will bend the strain relief and break the connection. 
    You're supposed to solder these jacks with a little bend in the hot conductor to allow for movement. You can use Neutriks but it's quite tight. I tend to drill out Reans or sometimes use Amphenol jacks instead. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited October 2021
    I’ve fitted neutriks to my black woven fender ones- it is tight, had to cut a lot of the end wall of the screw on cap away. But working fine.

you’ll also need a lighter to melt the braid back together if you cut it.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • What's the diameter of the Fender cable?  Neutrik also do a plug to suit fatter cable: https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/plugs-jacks/plugs/professional-1-4-plugs/jumboplug
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    What's the diameter of the Fender cable?  Neutrik also do a plug to suit fatter cable: https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/plugs-jacks/plugs/professional-1-4-plugs/jumboplug
    Aha… those look great. I didn’t know about them - I’ve been using the older NP2Cs, which you can still get.

Oddly, the right-angle NP2RXs can be got on, but the straight NP2Xs are almost impossible.

(It’s about 8mm I think, to actually answer the question!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Yep, 8mm.  Sorry, a little late to my own thread.  Cheers for the replies as always.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'