Recording / mixing amplified harmonica

What's Hot

Has anybody got any tips / tricks for recording a mic'd harmonica amp?

I've been using a close SM57 or Sennheiser e906 close mic'd and an LDC further back to capture some air and room sound.

Mixing generally combine them with some light compression and plate reverb.  Have been getting okay mixes but keen to hear any tricks or experiences, because at the minute the consistency isn't always there.  You would think it would be very similar to recording guitar but I find the fact that the audio band is even narrower (all mids) it makes it even harder.

Example track from first EP, feedback and tips appreciated as I'm currently working on the next recordings. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Just do as your doing tbh…

alternatively, I’ve used harmonica into guitar amp with a silent load box DI’d straight into logic then a speaker IR… also used harmonica straight into logic and then an amp sim…

fyi, your ep, I’m prolly responsible for most of the streams on Apple Music!… great stuff!…
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Well there’s nothing wrong with that! 

Some harmonica players do like quite big speakers to get a bit more bottom end in. Giles King uses 4x10 combos, Paul Jones I think ended up using a 1x18, Little Walter used early PA speakers, John Popper used a 2x12 or a Lesley plus a 1x10 I think. So, if you want a slightly less narrow sound maybe you may have to go back to source. They are a notorious bugger to mic and amplify. 
    Just looking at some John Popper stuff and he doesn’t use a harmonica mic, he uses an SM58 that he’s dented so his harps can rest in the groove. But I guess it’s a bigger sound as those bullet mics do the honky middle thing. The elephant’s trunk is the cables for his amp switching system so he can change amps as he plays. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I reckon you just keep on keeping on.... =)   Great Tune.
    I have played electric blues harp for years,  Marine Band, Astatic JT30, Lone Wolf Delay Fender Champ or Bassman mic'd with a SM57 when recording in the studio.
    Sometimes I use a modelling amp, such as a Yamaha THR or Vox Adio Air GT when recording at home, but that can sound a bit thin and needs to be fattened up by experimenting with EQ/Compression etc......but thats just my way, and your way sounds well good to me.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042

Has anybody got any tips / tricks for recording a mic'd harmonica amp?

I've been using a close SM57 or Sennheiser e906 close mic'd and an LDC further back to capture some air and room sound.

Mixing generally combine them with some light compression and plate reverb.  Have been getting okay mixes but keen to hear any tricks or experiences, because at the minute the consistency isn't always there.  You would think it would be very similar to recording guitar but I find the fact that the audio band is even narrower (all mids) it makes it even harder.

Example track from first EP, feedback and tips appreciated as I'm currently working on the next recordings. 

Harmonica sounds great on that track. Personally, I'd take the guitar down a bit, and bring up the percussion, and I'd spread things out a bit - it all seems right down the middle. But I'm being picky - it sounds great.

R.
     Personally, I'd take the guitar down a bit, and bring up the percussion, and I'd spread things out a bit 
    Prolly a good job you wasn’t involved in the mixing then as that track sounds fucking massive in my studio :)
    poopot said:
     Personally, I'd take the guitar down a bit, and bring up the percussion, and I'd spread things out a bit 
    Prolly a good job you wasn’t involved in the mixing then as that track sounds fucking massive in my studio :)
    It sounds great, yes, but could be better with more width.

I'd be happy to give it a mix if you've still got the stems @menamestom :)

FWIW, I'm listening on Genelec 8040s, and I also cross-checked on headphones.
  • The guy is asking for advice on recording a mic'd up harmonica. He's not asking for mix advice.

I'd experiment a bit more with microphone choice and positioning. If you can get hold of a Coles 4038, that might work quite nicely to give a different perspective on the instrument and the amp.

Bye!

The guy is asking for advice on recording a mic'd up harmonica. He's not asking for mix advice.
    Thread title: "Recording / mixing amplified harmonica"

From the OP: "Have been getting okay mixes but keen to hear any tricks or experiences"

Sounds like he's asking for mix advice to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The guy is asking for advice on recording a mic'd up harmonica. He's not asking for mix advice.
    Thread title: "Recording / mixing amplified harmonica"

From the OP: "Have been getting okay mixes but keen to hear any tricks or experiences"

Sounds like he's asking for mix advice to me.
    Well it’s a moot point for that track as it’s already been released and pulling a released track and replacing it is a massive ballache…

be good to hear some of your mixes tho’ as we have five tracks remaining for the album that need to be done! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:

Well it’s a moot point for that track as it’s already been released and pulling a released track and replacing it is a massive ballache…
    True that.
    poopot said:

be good to hear some of your mixes tho’ as we have five tracks remaining for the album that need to be done!
    I'd be happy to have a stab, time permitting.

R.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Hi all thanks for the comments.  All feedback is good as I’m doing this on my own, from a recording perspective, so more ears on previous stuff like I posted gives me a better idea going forward.  Working solo you do sometimes end up a bit siloed and as it’s a learning process feedback from fellow engineers and musicians is a valuable exercise I don’t get much of unless asking here.  The other guy in the band (harp and vocals) has a great ear but no recording experience so to that end it is all my domain.

I’m relatively happy with previous results, mastering made a big difference but I’m very much an amateur on the recording side, whilst I’ve been doing it for years now we’re getting decent radio play I want to make sure the next batch level up. There’s only so much you can do with a £100 soundcard and 3 or 4 mics but I think certainly on the mixing side there are techniques and tools that could really help.

Thanks for all the positive comments, perhaps I’m closer than I think but everyday is a school day so always looking to improve!

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    "More cowbell". Sounds great Tom.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    RickLucas said:
    "More cowbell". Sounds great Tom.
    Thanks Rick, can’t have too much cowbell! Hope you’re well  =)