Fender FM65R issues - advice

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
Hi all

I got a cheap Fender FM65R amp on eBay ages ago, tried it once, it made a couple of odd noises then I stuck it in the loft. We are clearing out the house at the moment (hence the mess in the video below) so it's come back out for me to have a look at.

It's got a weird buzzing noise that starts when you plug in a jack into either input, regardless of whether a guitar is connected or not. Then when I switch it off, there's a strange popping noise that seems quieter in that video than in person. That pop noise even gets a reverb effect on it.

Is it likely to be economic to get it fixed or should I just get rid ASAP?

Any advice or thoughts welcome. Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Does the buzz continue if there's a guitar plugged in and turned down to zero at the guitar?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Does the buzz continue if there's a guitar plugged in and turned down to zero at the guitar?
    Yes I think it did from memory (it's back in the loft now otherwise I'd go and check)
  • I've decided this is probably no good to man nor beast so I be dumping it as a freebie on classifieds over the next few days when I can be bothered to fetch it down
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Will make a good speaker cab  when all the gubbins disconnected and a new speaker .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    rossi said:
    Will make a good speaker cab  when all the gubbins disconnected and a new speaker .
    Probably not - it's a rather cheap particle-board cab and probably won't sound great no matter what speaker you put in it.

Over the years I've used a lot of dead combos as speaker cabinets, and the only one that's really sounded good is a Marshall TSL100, which is actually quite a decent ply cabinet. Most scrap combos are cheap, which is why it's not economical to fix them - it's unusual that such an expensive amp as the TSL is a write-off, but... it's a TSL :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Not to worry, I'll offer it up as a freebie in the classifieds today just in case but otherwise it shall go to the tip when I can next book an appointment there