Who could put a buffer in my tuner?

What's Hot
Love my Turbo Tuner, but wish it had a buffer. Any recommendations for someone this side of the pond who could fit one? Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Ive got a buffer pedal that I built from a kit somewhere, which is really small, yours if you want it, might be easier/better than having to mod your tuner?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3832
    paulnb57 said:
    Ive got a buffer pedal that I built from a kit somewhere, which is really small, yours if you want it, might be easier/better than having to mod your tuner?
    That's very kind, Paul, cheers. I've actually got a separate buffer myself, but am thinking about an ultra-compact board.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited October 2021
    Bigger pedals are small enough to fit under a board. I have one made by a guy on here, forget who though. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    hywelg said:
    Bugger pedals are small enough to fit under a board. I have one made by a guy on here, forget who though. 
    Niche product!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited October 2021
    Keefy said:
    hywelg said:
    Bugger pedals are small enough to fit under a board. I have one made by a guy on here, forget who though. 
    Niche product!
    Hah....always chuck your spilling 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Bright Onion do a micro buffer that's about 2" by 1.5". Does need power and has an LED but might fit under a board?  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2021
    The stand-alone buffer I've got is very small, but I'm looking at a Pedaltrain Nano, which has very limited space underneath. I'd also prefer not to power it and use extra cables. I'm going for very minimalist. The other option is to get a TU3 Waza which has a buffer, but I do love my Turbo Tuner...

I think Analogman will mod pedals to include his buffer, but I'd rather not look across the pond.
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Fuzzdog sells a PCB for just the buffer from a Klon. The PCB itself is pretty small, but I don’t know if there’s much extra space inside the Turbo? If you have the larger model you could put it in the battery area, assuming you use a power supply. 

I’m hoping to get a TT soon. They look awesome!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TJT1979 said:
    Fuzzdog sells a PCB for just the buffer from a Klon. The PCB itself is pretty small, but I don’t know if there’s much extra space inside the Turbo? If you have the larger model you could put it in the battery area, assuming you use a power supply. 

I’m hoping to get a TT soon. They look awesome!
    Great tip, cheers.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    The Fuzzdog buffer works well
  • Adding a buffer to a pedal in say in the battery compartment is relatively easy if it hand stand alone jacks but more complex if they are connected directly to the PCB, you would probably need to cut tracks. I don’t know how the Turbo is made

You can fit one of these under a Nano, I know cos that’s what I have done. Away at the moment so can’t share a pic though

https://www.fredric.co.uk/klon-corn-buffer-clone

(mine’s actually the Klon only one but same size)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • No surprise the gearpage have had this discussion before: 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/mod-a-pedal-to-be-buffered-bypass-turbo-tuner.1309517/

if that's the same tuner you've got, then you can run another pcb from the power going to the led and put a fuzzdog klon buffer (or similar) between the input's hot and the footswitch.

If you want someone else to do it for you, 

The pcb and components will cost around £12 
    The building of, testing of and mounting will probably be upward of £50 
    Post and packing on top of that

Modding the pedal will decrease it's value, but a good electronics guy should be able to make it reversible for a small up-charge.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    You can build a buffer into a patch cable, that way it doesn't need to be big enough to accept jacks etc. I've actually done one in a jack plug before but that was fiddly. 
    A small potting box could be used, in this guitar cable I built  the box contains a stereo headphone amp with a 3.5mm breakout and a stereo volume control for IEM's ...  so a simple unity gain buffer with no controls could easily be built in a smaller box and just sit between the pedals halfway  in a patch cable. For power just use a female end of a 9V extender.

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    That gearpage thread has a great response by @timhulio (I think the man behind Fredic Effects) so it might be worth dropping him a message if you're looking for someone to do it for you.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I'd get a separate buffer and put it before the tuner and on the underside of the pedalboard, rather than inside the tuner.
    prowla said:
    I'd get a separate buffer and put it before the tuner and on the underside of the pedalboard, rather than inside the tuner.
    Bit difficult to plug the guitar cable into it if it's under the board, non?
    BigMonka said:
    That gearpage thread has a great response by @timhulio (I think the man behind Fredic Effects) so it might be worth dropping him a message if you're looking for someone to do it for you.
    Thanks. I've emailed him, but he hasn't got any of the boards left. Just his stand-alone buffer.
    Danny1969 said:
    You can build a buffer into a patch cable, that way it doesn't need to be big enough to accept jacks etc. I've actually done one in a jack plug before but that was fiddly. 
    A small potting box could be used, in this guitar cable I built  the box contains a stereo headphone amp with a 3.5mm breakout and a stereo volume control for IEM's ...  so a simple unity gain buffer with no controls could easily be built in a smaller box and just sit between the pedals halfway  in a patch cable. For power just use a female end of a 9V extender.

Thanks, but seems like overcomplicating things.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    @Lebarque I could do this for you. DM me?

R.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    edited October 2021
    Lebarque said:
    prowla said:
    Bit difficult to plug the guitar cable into it if it's under the board, non?
    Mais non!
    If you put it at the edge, or use a patch panel it's easy.
    Doing that also means you can be more flexible with your above-board layout, as your tuner doesn't have to be physically rightmost.