Best drive pedals to run a fuzz face into

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6690

Marshall SV20 just on the verge of breaking up.

Signal goes

Strat into..
Expresso FX GE Fuzz
Retrovibe Mk2
Pigtonix Octava Mini
Keeley Red Dirt Mini
Boss DD-8
Boss RV-6

My Keeley Red Dirt mini (even on the least compressed setting) doesn't quite have the headroom to handle the signal of the FF without turning to mush with the guitar vol on max. Sounds great on 9. Flubs out on 10. Fuzz is high on vol and about 1 o clock on the fuzz. 

Wondered what drive pedals people using for the same duties, which is to add gain and mids to a fuzz face tone for leads. 

To be honest I think I probably just need a treble booster again which is what I used to use. 
My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    TI Boost is the best treble booster.

Also try a Klon or a Liquid Sunshine.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I used to use a Fuzz Factory - OK, not the same as a Fuzz Face but actually in the same ballpark for voicing - into a Boss DF-2 and a Frantone Cream Puff, which is essentially an IC Big Muff circuit. All four combinations stacked well, including all the pedals on at once :).

The DF-2 was for adding gain and mids for lead. Adding the Cream Puff was for sounding like the amp blowing up ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Full range treble booster.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6690
    Yep I had the most success in the past with a treble booster but as space is limited wondered if a drive would do it as well so it had dual duties. Thanks all for suggestions. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • TC Spark can do this in either clean or mids mode depending on how dark your fuzzface is.
    It can't quite be a treble booster, but it's capable of being not far off.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I like my Weehbo JCM for this in JTM mode. Mad Prof Royal Blue was also good as was a La Grange, but tons more eq control on the Weehbo.
    Nearly all my dirt sounds are fuzz > Weehbo and guitar vol pot fiddling. Without the drive pedal fuzz is pretty unbearable into my clean Fender amp.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    anything ampy or dirty preampy. i like the broadcast or red llama
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As mentioned above both the Klon and Hudson Broadcast (I prefer the AP for this) are great for this but my favourite to combine with a FF is the Origin Revival Trem. It’s perfect for my tastes 

How very rock and roll
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6690
    Had 3 or 4 different Klon types and never got on with them, sadly.

For me a Red Llama imparts way too much of a (albeit nice) Red Llama tone.

• gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 652
    edited October 2021
    soma1975 said:

Wondered what drive pedals people using for the same duties, which is to add gain and mids to a fuzz face tone for leads. 

Love my Skreddy DME after my Chase Tone '68 RV for a volume and eq boost. It's not a standalone drive though if you want that double duty.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    soma1975 said:
    Had 3 or 4 different Klon types and never got on with them, sadly.

For me a Red Llama imparts way too much of a (albeit nice) Red Llama tone.
    saucy box has a bit more refinement to it but similarly amp-y feel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Slightly random suggestion - I was looking for something else and realised a BCC Steel Park is now less than £90 new. Laney very much saying it's great for stacking. They seem to be a pretty robust range and the Steelpark has a 3 way switch for mid cut, boost or more transparent so quite a flexible but still quite simple pedal.  

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Revival drive 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AornicAornic Frets: 475
    I use the Coloursound Powerboost based side of the Green Carrot Comfortably Plum. 
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I'm not sure whether this is helpful or not, but I run my russian pi into a tube screamer. But I use the tube screamer to naturally filter the muff, and for more leady stuff I release the muff by turning the tube screamer off. It's just another way of thinking about it really.