DI box problems for a noob

As per title I have very little experience with this recording malarky. I only record for fun and to monitor my progress as a learning guitarist. So I have a H+K Tubemeister 18 head with the built in redbox DI, i've connected it to the XLR in on my interface(Behringer UMC22) even at reasonably low volume (1watt on built in attenuator) and about 3 on the clean channel I can get enough output to make it clip. Its all well and fine but it sounds a bit weak,washy maybe even thin. I've fiddled with EQ on the amp (it sounds fine out of the cab).
  I've also got a Joyo J01-01 DI box with cab sim, i've connected this in between the amp and and cab with everything the same as above and the tone is much better but the output to the interface is very very low ( so much so that the clipping light has never come on) I cant really increase the output from the amp as Its usually late at night. 
  Is the above because the joyo is inline between amp and cab and relies on greater volume to achieve sufficient output wherease the Redbox being built it is bypassing the cab output and achieving its volume differently? 
  I don't want to buy anything If I don't need to and I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible for my addled brain.
ta in advance for any advice
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Are you sending the Joyo XLR out (mic level) to the interface's XLR mic input?
    If you're going into a line input (TRS) the level will be too low.

• Looking at the Tubemeister 18 and the Behringer interface, one thought comes to mind.

The UMC22 has a combined XLR/TRS socket for the mic/line input but no way to switch between mic and line levels - I assume it defaults to mic level when using the XLR and line level when using the TRS (common on other equipment using these combined sockets).

The Tubemeister RedBox XLR out will likely be at line level (don't know for certain without reading the manual). So, if you're using an XLR - XLR cable to connect the two, it could be that you're feeding a line (high) level signal into a mic (low) level input which would explain the excessive level.

The solution would be either to switch the XLR input on the Behringer interface to line level (if that's possible in software?) or to use an XLR - TRS cable from the amp to interface.

• spev11spev11 Frets: 300
    Are you sending the Joyo XLR out (mic level) to the interface's XLR mic input?
    If you're going into a line input (TRS) the level will be too low.
    I am yes, I shall investigate that further
    Looking at the Tubemeister 18 and the Behringer interface, one thought comes to mind.

The UMC22 has a combined XLR/TRS socket for the mic/line input but no way to switch between mic and line levels - I assume it defaults to mic level when using the XLR and line level when using the TRS (common on other equipment using these combined sockets).

The Tubemeister RedBox XLR out will likely be at line level (don't know for certain without reading the manual). So, if you're using an XLR - XLR cable to connect the two, it could be that you're feeding a line (high) level signal into a mic (low) level input which would explain the excessive level.

The solution would be either to switch the XLR input on the Behringer interface to line level (if that's possible in software?) or to use an XLR - TRS cable from the amp to interface.

Cheers i'll get a cable ordered, theres no way to switch it either way so probably auto selects

• My Marshall DSL DI sounds fizzy and thin.. I just drop a cab sim IR in the DAW.  Sounds like it does live then. It will act like your Joyo.

What DAW are you using? 
    Currently  Reaper on trial
  • spev11 said:
    Currently  Reaper on trial
    There is a built in IR loader in Reaper.  Just load the cab IR file into Reaverb plugin and it should help address the thinness.

Cheers all, got a few things to try , i'll certainly give the IR loader a go. I suppose I was trying to get the same tone in the DAW as is coming out of my amp but maybe I'm trying to take the easy way out there. I shall delve further into Reaper and this whole recording rabbit hole that I seem to be falling down (joyfully though)