Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Zappa

What's Hot
DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 334
for those of you interested in such things the documentary is on BBC4 tonight from 9:00 - 11:00 :) ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CFHCFH Frets: 456
    He is also on the Great British Bake Off, Tuesdays at 8pm. He's great at that too! A very talented chap. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Tom Wrigglesworth should tour with Dweezil.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    CFH said:
    He is also on the Great British Bake Off, Tuesdays at 8pm. He's great at that too! A very talented chap. 
    The Muffin Man strikes again. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brilliant, thanks for the heads up!
  • Redlester said:
    CFH said:
    The Muffin Man strikes again. 
    Sequel to The Muffin Man Poots Forth!
  • he knows how to make a muffin better ... 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Which documentary? Eat That Question?
    Loobs said:
    Which documentary?
    The slime oozin' out from your TV set.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294

I've seen it, it's a good doc, would have like a bit more about Beefheart but that's another subject for another doc. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    would have like a bit more about Beefheart but that's another subject for another doc. 
    The Zappa/Beefheart story receives some coverage in The Real Frank Zappa Book by Frank Zappa with Peter Occhiogrosso.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    would have like a bit more about Beefheart but that's another subject for another doc. 
    The Zappa/Beefheart story receives some coverage in The Real Frank Zappa Book by Frank Zappa with Peter Occhiogrosso.
    There's a documentary about Zappa's labels Bizarre and Straight which goes into quite a bit of detail regarding Beefheart (and the way he treated his band) as well as the other artists on the labels. 

It very well may be on YouTube.

I myself am strong up to watch the one on BBC4 in 49 mins. Thank you OP!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 684
    CFH said:
    The dangerous kitchen
    If it aint't one thing it's another
    In the middle of the night when you get home
    The bread things are all dry 'n' scratchy
    The meat thing
    Where the cats ate through the paper
    The can things with the sharp little edges
    That can cut your fingers when you're not looking
    The soft little things on the floor that you step on
    They can all be dangerous...
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    yeah, thats a great read.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Pabcrane said:
    There's a documentary about Zappa's labels Bizarre and Straight which goes into quite a bit of detail regarding Beefheart (and the way he treated his band) as well as the other artists on the labels. 

It very well may be on YouTube.

I myself am strong up to watch the one on BBC4 in 49 mins. Thank you OP!
    I watched that the other week, pretty good.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Watched it today.
    I’m no aficionado of Zappa, so a good chunk of this was either new to me or filled out what I only vaguely knew, so a dedicated fan might have found it less enlightening, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    that said, it skimmed over huge chunks of his career, with very little of depth about his mid-period.

A story like this really deserves the Long Strange Trip/ Beatles Anthology treatment. 2 hours barely scratches the surface.

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    I watched it too and really enjoyed it.   Just goes to show how magical live gigs were back in the 60s and 70s pre Internet.  
    it skimmed over huge chunks of his career, with very little of depth about his mid-period.
    The documentary was hamstrung by who was available and willing to be interviewed on camera. (Some are dead. A few are in jail.) Some of what the interviewees might have discussed was technical. This would be of limited interest to the general audience.

Conspicuous by their absence:
    Bozzio, Belew, Cuccurullo, Thompson, anyone from Ensemble Modern and, most of all, Dweezil.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I haven't watched it ( in two minds)but it always seems that any footage of Frank seems to be low quality or made with art house sensibilities. If I wanted to watch a performance of Zappa  music I'd put on Zappa Play Zappa ( or whatever that is called now). Which just makes it all the worse that Dweezil isn't involved with the family and isn't involved in this documentary   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    It was slightly disappointing tbh, it was more interesting to see who they didn’t interview, pretty much the same as the Ritchie Blackmore travesty 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    I watched it, it was OK, very much like everyone else has said, a bit light on a few things and for me some of it was a little cliched in parts.

Very light on his fairly prolific mid 70's period (even though Ruth Underwood starred quite a lot) and concentrated too much on the Mothers period (almost as if they started out with the best intentions and then realised there was too much to cover and just skirted straight across to the end of his career)

What it did make me realise though is how much I love that '78 live version of Watermelon in Easter Hay which is the track playing on the closing credits.