Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Low gain Rat alternative

What's Hot

Comments

• The @ThorpyFX ;;Warthog is phenomenally good, does the low gain thing beautifully as well as all the higher gain Rattyness, even as a clean boost it’s great, one of the best, most versatile dirt pedals on the market. I have a stock Rat2 as well, which is always good: never be without a Rat  :)
    This. My Warthog replaced a Rat as it could do the Rat thing plus much more. It covers everything from low gain drive to distortion. Even gets a bit fuzz-like if you set it right. Easily the most versatile drive pedal I've played.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I only use the Rat on lower gain, it's just stunning at that. 
    I have made a few now and I prefer stock to the Turbo, but both are good.

I like the Red Llama for low gain as well, although I did mod mine and can't quite remember what I did now 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I used a rat always on with low gain for years. I am playing heavier stuff now so the distortion is dialled up more. The rat sound for me is about the upper mids at any gain setting. Really slices through in a rude but not unpleasant way
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    The low gain Rat thing once more. I haven't been enjoying my guitar the last few evenings - everything sound flat and flabby. I half thought it might be time for new strings, but also was suspecting I didn't have the low gain Rat clone dialled in right. So I started experimenting with HXFX gain effects and stumbled across the Deranged Master model - apparently based on Dallas Rangemaster. Well this does exactly what I want my Rat to do - removed all the flabbyness and added a nice presence with the very little clipping. Maybe a treble booster is what I need? Then I can use the Rat for what it is really best at.

Ahhhhh.... The gain pedal permutations are endless...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    ewal said:
    The low gain Rat thing once more. I haven't been enjoying my guitar the last few evenings - everything sound flat and flabby. I half thought it might be time for new strings, but also was suspecting I didn't have the low gain Rat clone dialled in right. So I started experimenting with HXFX gain effects and stumbled across the Deranged Master model - apparently based on Dallas Rangemaster. Well this does exactly what I want my Rat to do - removed all the flabbyness and added a nice presence with the very little clipping. Maybe a treble booster is what I need? Then I can use the Rat for what it is really best at.

Ahhhhh.... The gain pedal permutations are endless...
    I'm not that well up on treble boosters, but that's what the two I've tried (both Rangemaster-based) did. They're almost like proto-tubescreamers (maybe more like proto-SD1s).
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    They are great into a JTM45. I know someone who played a Rangemaster into a Bluesbreaker for many years and that was a glorious sound
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3542
    Also a low-gain.RAT user. Sometimes stacked with an OD-3 or Timmy for a big, round sound that cuts through. 
  • Greatape said:
    Also a low-gain.RAT user. Sometimes stacked with an OD-3 or Timmy for a big, round sound that cuts through. 
    I’ve got a Timmy but not a RAT. Do you have the RAT before or after the Timmy?
    TC Electronic Dark Matter
    As low gain Rat substitute?
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3542
    edited February 2023
    Greatape said:
    Before. Middle toggle position, a bit of attenuation of treble and bass, gain below noon. 

• ewal said:
    TC Electronic Dark Matter
    As low gain Rat substitute?

Yes. I have it next to Rat on my board, and I'm able to set it to sound 99,9% close to real thing. Basically a less hissy Rat with more options (separate bass and treble controls, voice switch). Also dirt cheap.
  • I know it's already been said but Thorpy Warthog is amazing with the gain low and calibre wound down a little bit
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    No such thing as a 'wrong' way to use a pedal. 

If it works, it works.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Greatape said:
    Greatape said:
    Before. Middle toggle position, a bit of attenuation of treble and bass, gain below noon. 

@Greatape ;Thanks. I might try that, as I've been thinking about buying a Rat or building a clone of one.
  • A lot of the BJFE OD pedals are just differently voiced Rats - the Dyna Red or the Honey Bee for example. Original ones are expensive but you can get cheaper clones of them all.

I find there is a pleasing quality to the texture of the clipping you get from the Rat circuit, that is shared among all of these pedals.

There is also a Chinese pedal guy 68 Pedals who makes a pedal called the 'Milk Stout' you can often find for 50 quid or so. It is a rat with three clipping options and a sweep control that allows you to change which frequencies are clipped (I think). I have one and it is great.
  • I remember a video on YouTube where someone demonstrated that you can make a low gain Rat and a low gain Klon (or possibly Klone) sound extremely similar. The takeaway was basically "why spend all that money when you can do the same thing with a Rat?" But equally you could use a Klone for that job if you wanted to.
    The only issue with the low gain Rat option is the hair trigger adjustment of the gain control, otherwise it's perfect.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited February 2023
    Coming a shade left-field, I suggest Fredric Effects Accomplished Badger 2. 
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 553
    edited February 2023
    I’m another one who always uses their Rat low gain.  The EHX Soul Food does a similar job, but not necessarily better.  I nearly bought a Soul Food then realised I may as well just stick with the Rat.  As the OP said, if it ain’t broke …… 

Not really a lot of point looking for an alternative to something you’re happy with anyway. 

I kinda get it though, because it’s easy to feel like you’re not using it to its full potential ….. a bit lime using a Ferrari just to pop to the supermarket once a week  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom