Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can we spot future classics???

What's Hot

Comments

• AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 850
    edited October 2021
    Rory Gallagher was making Airlines cool waaaaaaaaay before Jack White
    But USA made Tylers will only be getting more expensive. "Pre retirement"... Wait for it.....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_other_edthe_other_ed Frets: 110
    edited October 2021
    JerkMoans said:
    Ian Elson Guitars.
    Damn. I haven't been here long. But I've been here long enough that that made me chuckle. 

As far as classic... With everything attempting to mimic a 'classic' aesthetic right now, I think its only the truly classic that will ultimately remain so. I'd like to think some the cool, unique builds available to us will become classics, but it seems that unless they are tied to a particular artist, and have stayed enough to have evolved over several years, thus having 'generations', they will never be widely available enough to be used enough to become 'classics'...

My bet would then be on some of the artist signature models we're seeing, esp. first generation - those that are classic-based, somewhat classic brand made, but yet represent specs particular to those models - and thus, particular to players' wants and needs.

The Ibanez Fireman, for example, fits that bill. I'm not up on all the signature models out there, because I bury my head in the sand too often, but... The guitars that, within the market have their own particular market and reputation. And more importantly, are sought after by said players, moreso than flippers... 

The Jem, another one. But already a classic, que' no? The N4. The Eric Johnsons. The Robert Crays, even. These are all but a step away from production models, and although limited, all have reaped the rewards of the marketing and production and pedigree that comes attached to 'classic' companies. That one step is enough for players to have heard of them, and the specs are enough for players to put in the effort to then seek them out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited October 2021
    This is an oft-asked question on fora - might be entertaining to go back and find what people previously suggested.

My favoured response to this question remains the Teuffel Birdfish and the original Gittler, alongside 50s and 60s Fenders and Gibsons…though Gibson’s custom runs do seem to hold value - things like the Elliot Easton and Skunk Baxter Firebird and the Collectors edition LPs (the replicas of famous owner guitars, whatever the name was).

There’s just so many modern guitars made now it’s hard to think any of them will become sought after. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited October 2021
    Remember that a new future guitar god has an influence on this - Look at what the likes of Jack White did for the Airline and other cool guitars from the 50's and 60's - Or J Ramone did for the Mosrite

Look what Clapton did for the Les Paul in the 60's

However maybe various sites, like E-bay/Reverb, now make this more unlikely - Prior to WWW, many such guitars sat in the sad corner of a local dealer - So the guy in Kent hunting down a Mosrite might not know there is a cheap one hanging around in Halifax, yet the guy in Halifax did not know they now have any value and are sought after - Far harder these days to come across seriously under-priced guitars, in any price point, from any brand 
    Would have doubled wis’d this if it were possible, when eBay came along the value of my guitars halved in price straightaway because they weren’t the rareities I thought they were. It’s a worldwide market now as opposed to all the music shops in my county when I started buying guitars.
    As a spotty youth I would never have dreamed it was possible, or would be possible, to buy a Gibson unobtanium in the UK, from a seller in Australia.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    rze99 said:

I got one of only about 30 Bradford Beach Blue Reverend Gristle 90s. 
    Pretty limited. And a F*** off great guitar. No more will be made.

Then again, that just reflects the kind of production volume that Reverend have, and the fact that they like producing limited editions. I have a Reverend that's numbered 6 out of 10 made, and it was the only one that came to the UK, but I doubt I could ever sell it for significantly more than the regular models sell for. And of course, from new they tend to depreciate more than the big brands. 

But that Bradford Beach Blue is a great colour... :) 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited October 2021
    I do think that we can easily think that limited numbers equals value. If something becomes desirable for whatever reason it will increase in value as time goes on because they will become more scarce and the mythos will increase around them. But just because there’s only a few of a model made, it’s not really a factor on its own unfortunately. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11625
    Music Man St Vincent would be my guess for one. Looks great, plays great, high quality instrument and an iconic namesake. 
    You beat me to it.  Totally agree.
  • MIJ charvels are now fetching more than their used value a few years ago 
      The made in Japan Jackson dinky can still be picked up at a super price and they are really great .

japanes malmsteen strats are now more than the 675 I payed around 06 -08 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14220
    tFB Trader
    Rory Gallagher was making Airlines cool waaaaaaaaay before Jack White

Of course he did, but there is a massive difference between the acclaim/hype, whatever you want to call, that RG can supply, coupled with the fact that it was a guitar used occasionally stage/studio, compared to that of a new 'star' that so many buy into

And I'm a big RG fan - There are many more talented guitar players around then JW - But many of these will never have the same acclaim/buzz/hype from the masses that the likes that JW can bring to the table

Influences are often not about talent, or talent alone - Oasis proved that with the hype that they created for Epiphone - NG is not a crap player, but he is hardly wow - But he is mighty influential to many
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1498
    edited October 2021
    Chapman guitars. 

Let’s see who have it, the LOLs or the Wisdoms. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Anyone knocking on a bit when they die.

Clapton Strats when he shuffles off for example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    Doesn't this really depend on whether guitars are musically relevant in 20 years time??????
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    Already going up and I wish I had one - aerodyne stratocaster (jazz bass or tele too)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I doubt small makers will get enough out there to make a lasting impression, I hope it's not the case as there are some great builders out there right now

I'm not including the CNC making mob like Huber's etc, they're not small and boutique 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    From what I can think of its the oddball low number often derived guitars which seem to skyrocket in value. 
    I'm thinking of the Courtney love Venus, blink 182 guitars, hello kitty strat and noel Gallagher epiphones. 

If I were to put money on them I'd go for a jeff beck strat, Jimmy page tele or lester and the Avril telecaster. 

With the exception of the hello kitty strat (which I think is a meme thing) it tends to be signature guitars of well known musicians. Just not a les paul (apart from a Jimmy page) or a generic strat.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited October 2021
    That's a point, the Tom Delonge strats are going for silly money now, even the Squier ones are a lot. I've always wanted one as a fan of the band back in the day, it was my first "dream guitar". And also still want one because hardtail humbucker strats that don't look too metal are hard to come by. I've considered building a parts replica one but don't think it'd have that same nostalgia value of the real thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I have heard or read, that the mascis Jazzmaster is being discontinued, so I think they will go up in value.

Some guitar pedals seem to sky rocket as well, sometimes 
     ones that really were not great to start with. I don't mean Klons but thinks like a Miku for example

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7207
    edited October 2021
    I predict that the 3-string Spear & Jackson Select Stainless Steel Digging Spade, as played so expertly by Justin Johnson, will be a future classic.

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    No chance unless it has Fender or Gibson on the headstock, the electric guitar market will never change mores the pity
    Some of the high end Yamaha SG's are fetching strong money as are the Matsumoko and Fujigen replicas. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Wolfetone said:
    No chance unless it has Fender or Gibson on the headstock, the electric guitar market will never change mores the pity
    Some of the high end Yamaha SG's are fetching strong money as are the Matsumoko and Fujigen replicas. 
    Yes that just not true and if anything, Gibson and Fender are so mass produced that the chances anything they do will be worth anything in the future are somewhat low, except one of pieces that will be difficult to sell. (Screamadelica guitar, I’m looking at you).