My DC30 suddenly got very boomy in the low mids

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
around the 12th fret on the bottom string
suddenly all the guitars I try are mid-heavy and woolly 

is this just needing a valve replacement, or a trip to the amp repair shop?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mine used to mince up EL84s regularly.

Assuming you get the same on both channels?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Sounds like one or more of the EL84s might have become microphonic and 'loose'. They do that...

As Moe says, they eat EL84s at a rate of knots - that comes from running them at well over the rated dissipation even at idle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I'm sure you're better at noticing these things than me ... but that happened to an amp of mine and it turned out to be the A string vibrating on the top of my Filtertron pickup. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Fuengi said:
    I'm sure you're better at noticing these things than me ... but that happened to an amp of mine and it turned out to be the A string vibrating on the top of my Filtertron pickup. 
    I tried 3 different guitars, with very different pickups, very sudden too
    ICBM said:
    Sounds like one or more of the EL84s might have become microphonic and 'loose'. They do that...

As Moe says, they eat EL84s at a rate of knots - that comes from running them at well over the rated dissipation even at idle.
    so replace just the EL84 set?
    ToneControl said:

Yes. If you own a Matchless it's a good idea to keep a spare set of EL84s at all times anyway :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    ToneControl said:

Yes. If you own a Matchless it's a good idea to keep a spare set of EL84s at all times anyway :).
    any tips on brands at the minute?
    JJs probably, of the new production. They're tougher than any of the others.