Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Squier Classic Vibe - Proper Grown-Up Discussion

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
Inspired by the retention thread, who has checked out the Squier Classic Vibe range recently?

Seems to have swept up in the last couple of years the old Vintage Modified range, and production has moved to what appears to be a very strong factory in Indonesia.

I've got three Squiers, an original Classic Vibe 62 Tele Custom, which is brilliant, a Squier Vintage modified Jazzmaster, which is great except for one buzzy fret, and a new PINK Classic Vibe Jaguar, which is very much better made than the VM Jazz.

At a price of typically £350-400 they mark a great stepping up point from the Bullets a lot of people start out with, and may be as far up the chain as some people really need to go...?

What think ye, people of the Fretboard?
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    edited October 2021
    I picked up a couple of Teles, the cv50 and cvc models, when they were first released. Back then they were cracking value for the money, punching well above their weight. They were ripe for modding too with the neck pickup positions being routed to accommodate a humbucker if required. I've always considered them the perfect choice for a new player or someone looking to try out Fender style guitars.. the Jaguar is particularly sweet. 

I think the only thing that would put me off buying one at this time would be if they are still being made in China due to all the recent obvious reasons.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited October 2021
    I think they're great value for money especially used. I don't really see why a telecaster should cost much more, except for more expensive (not necessarily better) labour and materials. I think at this stage I'd rather get a CV than a Fender Player series - I don't love the pickups in the player tele anyway so would probably end up swapping them out at even greater expense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5731
    I’ve had a fair few Squiers and found them all to be great. Maybe not always perfectly set up out of the box but definitely no worse than most brands. Always all you could need from a guitar and sometimes quite a bit more too. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    They are great value and a really solid choice if you enjoy a smaller neck.

You have to ignore the hyperbole about them being better than Mex and American ranges.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745

You have to ignore the hyperbole about them being better than Mex and American ranges.

I chose my first CV in a shop over a mexi  standard - I honestly thought it played and sounded better, though very little in it, even then it was £100 cheaper as well.

Now the difference is more like £200, so well worth an audition if looking for a "Fender" at around that price point.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    I have a VM 70's Jazz bass and it's fantastic - so long as you don't mind doing a bit of set up and fettling.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I've got one of the FSR 60s Teles from Andertons B-Stock sale, it's pretty great. Loud, resonant, nice weight, pickups sound good, finish is spot on and the laurel fretboard is nice and dark.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12326
    I’ve had a vintage modified Jaguar, classic vibe Strat, classic vibe Jaguar and a j mascots jazzmaster. The classic vibes were great. I bought the jag brand new and had to have the nut recut and polished but it felt like a step up from the vintage modified. 

Would happily have them again in the future. 
    edited October 2021 tFB Trader

I chose my first CV in a shop over a mexi  standard - I honestly thought it played and sounded better, though very little in it, even then it was £100 cheaper as well.

Now the difference is more like £200, so well worth an audition if looking for a "Fender" at around that price point.

For me it's more stuff like cheap hardware with thin plating and cheap pots and wiring. That's more of an issue if it has a hard life like mine did.

The original series had Toneriders which were arguably better than the pickups on a Mex std.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    I have a limited run bound 62 Tele which I’m selling. as it is great but neck is to thin for my tastes. Had it a few years and the pickups are great, solid build and good finish. I just find the necks too thin for me.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054

That's where they fall down ime. While being well made, decent instruments, the necks are all much the same style - shallow, modern C, with no allowance made for 50's or 60's styles. I suppose if they did introduce different neck shapes to the range it might take sales away from the basic Fender lines.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited October 2021

For me it's more stuff like cheap hardware with thin plating and cheap pots and wiring. That's more of an issue if it has a hard life like mine did.

The original series had Toneriders which were arguably better than the pickups on a Mex std.
    Again I'm not fully convinced these parts are much better on a Mexican Fender, I feel like a modded CV would probably be a better guitar for the same or less money. But I've always enjoyed modding cheaper guitars and don't really care about the whole "triggers broom" thing. To me a Player series Fender doesn't feel like a £600 guitar when compared to other brands in that price bracket like PRS, LTD etc.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I've had a few Squiers, they were decent, well made but were let down by characterless pickups. I don't normally feel the need to upgrade pickups but I had to in their case.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    They are great for the money.  Perfectly usable guitars but I think some people do get a bit carried away.

I’ve owned a couple of CVs and a few MIM Classic Series, Classic Player and Vintera, and the MIM are a cut above in every department.

Nothing against the CVs, I would happily gig one, just think they can be over hyped a bit.. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745

Nothing against the CVs, I would happily gig one, just think they can be over hyped a bit.. 

Hence the thread really - I think if we take into account what they cost, still in the £350-£400 bracket they are really stonkingly good, but of course, it's horses for courses.

The MIM prices have been creeping upwards and upwards for some time, which possibly, comparatively, puts the CV range in an even better position than before?

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    stonevibe said:
    I have a limited run bound 62 Tele which I’m selling. as it is great but neck is to thin for my tastes. Had it a few years and the pickups are great, solid build and good finish. I just find the necks too thin for me.
    Agree. I get it’s price n all blah blah but decent neck choices would be nice on a 50s inspired guitar for example.  Come on. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964

Hence the thread really - I think if we take into account what they cost, still in the £350-£400 bracket they are really stonkingly good, but of course, it's horses for courses.

The MIM prices have been creeping upwards and upwards for some time, which possibly, comparatively, puts the CV range in an even better position than before?

They’re definitely good guitars. I’ve been eyeing up the butterscotch thinline Tele than Andertons had spec’d.
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:

Again I'm not fully convinced these parts are much better on a Mexican Fender, I feel like a modded CV would probably be a better guitar for the same or less money. But I've always enjoyed modding cheaper guitars and don't really care about the whole "triggers broom" thing. To me a Player series Fender doesn't feel like a £600 guitar when compared to other brands in that price bracket like PRS, LTD etc.

I'm fairly sure they are.

Pretty much all the plating went through on mine and the jack socket and pots started failing.

I've never had that on any of the 20 or so guitars I've owned.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited October 2021
    The small handful of CVs I’ve played have all been excellent bang for the buck, sounded great, and were nice to play. However the hardware and electrickery bits were on the cheap side. I kind of suspect that a tough life on the road might show that they’re not really up to the job (IMHO of course), That might sound like I’m not that keen on them but that really isn’t the case - I honestly think that they’re very nice instruments but I’d probably pay the extra for a MIM Fender.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I like the look of the vintage sunburst custom tele about £350 
      I also like the vintage icon V59 which has what some on here would call tasteless relicing 
      But it really floats my boat