Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

20 years of the iPod

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2261

Wow. 20 years.

At first I hated the idea of it and Apple's 128bit files. Then I got one while in New York when I realised I could use it for higher quality files from my CDs and imports from my cassettes. I still use my iPod Classic extensively today.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...he-ipod-how-music-and-tech-new-era-steve-jobs
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    I loved my iPod - possibly 2003ish 
    Found myself listening to more music and audiobooks too, and podcasts while on the move

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3615
    I’ve various ones since the outset: classic, nano, shuffle. You name it there’s one in a drawer somewhere round here. Revolutionised how I listened to music on the move. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    I've still got a few here,  including my original 3rd Gen 30gb  model.   Most don't see much use now I'm not commuting by train every day. 

But there's an iPod Touch in the workshop in a Bose sounddock as the main music source out there, and a couple of  Nanos that I use when I'm out in the garden, or up a ladder.

Pretty much revolutionised how we all listen to music.    Incredible changes in just 20 years.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 281
    My 2nd or 3rd generation is still going, had to replace the touch-wheel, the hard drive and 2 batteries - apart from that it's all original!

40GB of music was quite something after using a walkman before the iPod.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    Love or loathe Apple, they do frequently get things right  ;)
    Earlier stuff is durable, easily fixable & hackable/upgradeable too.
    My iPod Classic, originally 20GB & with Wolfson DAC.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to love mine.

Spotify has sadly rendered them largely not useful but I wonder whether Spotify would be what it is without them.

Back in the day I couldn't afford an ipod so had something by Philips I think. It was about the size of a cassette Walkman. Got bullied something rotten for it. 
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 281
    I really liked earlier Apple devices and I loved my iPad gen 1, right up until they started to render it increasingly unusable after just 4 years. 

My ipod just kept on going subject to the odd repair. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Chris.B said:
    I really liked earlier Apple devices and I loved my iPad gen 1, right up until they started to render it increasingly unusable after just 4 years. 

My ipod just kept on going subject to the odd repair. 
    Still got my iPad gen 1 doing service as a monitor for a wireless garden cam  :)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    I loved my iPod Touch. I did not love having to use iTunes to sync to it.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Ipod schmipod.

I had a Creative Nomad years before that. And it sounded better than any ipod ever did. 
    ^ Yep, like buying the equivalent of a Philips Video 2000 or Sony Betamax against VHS.
    Happens a lot.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Held enough music to walk around the world and never hear the same record twice.
    Of course, that raised a few questions.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    scrumhalf said:
    Ipod schmipod.

I had a Creative Nomad years before that. And it sounded better than any ipod ever did. 

I got given a Nano at one point.  The battery started to get iffy, and only last a couple of hours, so I replaced it with a Sansa.  The sound quality was far better on the Sansa.  Giving the benefit of the doubt to crApple, the poor sound quality may have been because of the battery being unable to drive the headphones properly.

What is not in doubt is that I am far better off without iTunes in my life.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I've still got a 160GB Classic - the last model - which I can get my entire music library onto at 128Kbps, and a Touch - I can't remember which generation but it's 32GB and runs iOS 12. The Touch is handy because it has Bluetooth so I can use it in the car and at work without having to faff around with cables, and for a few other things. I still prefer to have my music in a separate object from my phone... I know that's not what Apple intended really!

I don't understand the hate for iTunes either, I use it every day and I'm quite religious about keeping my library really organised, and it works perfectly well for me. It does have some minor annoyances, but so does most software.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Sassafras said:
    Held enough music to walk around the world and never hear the same record twice.
    Of course, that raised a few questions.
    Only problem when carrying around this amount of music in your pocket is deciding what you want to listen to and finding it quickly!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 459
    Still have my gen 1 iPod that I got for a work leaving gift. I don’t use it now, but love looking at the tunes on there from back in the day. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    maltingsaudio said:

Only problem when carrying around this amount of music in your pocket is deciding what you want to listen to and finding it quickly!
    As someone who remembers the very first Walkman, it still slightly amazes me that I can carry 30,000 songs in an object the size of a C90. And that's not even that high a data density by modern standards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    My 160gb has died and this makes me sad. I use Spotify now but that is a compromise due to the lack of music i want, and also the poor battery life on modern phones
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Most components are replaceable @Reverend if you want to get it back to life.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    rze99 said:

Wow. 20 years.

At first I hated the idea of it and Apple's 128bit files. Then I got one while in New York when I realised I could use it for higher quality files from my CDs and imports from my cassettes. I still use my iPod Classic extensively today.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...he-ipod-how-music-and-tech-new-era-steve-jobs
    Strangely just charged mine up yesterday