Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

20 years of the iPod

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Loved my old classic til the battery died. I had a touch for a while but preferred the classic in the end for some reason. Still hate having to sync through iTunes though, I went to a Creative Labs one after the classic and much preferred the drag and drop approach.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have an old white one first with the touch sensitive scroll wheel. Needs a new Battery. 20GB I think. 
    Wonder if it'll be worth anything. Needs FireWire to change properly.
  • I've had a bunch of DAPs over the years. Did own an iPod Touch at one point, then a couple of Cowon players. Best player I've ever owned - and one I use every day - is my Shanling M0. Ridiculously good little player and only £99. Excellent audio quality, two way bluetooth (receiver or transmitter), touch screen. 

• Reverend said:
    My 160gb has died and this makes me sad. I use Spotify now but that is a compromise due to the lack of music i want, and also the poor battery life on modern phones
    I use my old BlackBerry Curve as an iPod, battery life on it when I was using it as a phone etc was barely 20 hours, once I’ve turned all that off and bear in mind it’s 8 years old it lasts for about 12 hours continuously or still half full having last used it and charged it a week ago!
    Also has brilliant search function where you can type in the song you want from a keyboard !
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • I’m an Apple fan boy , love the iPod but don’t use one as iTunes is a pain . I just want to drag and drop folders and have them be the same on the device as when I create them. iTunes  seems to try and sort them and sometimes can end up with loads of different separate album tracks all in different places for some reason 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    these will be worth a fortune to sell to Hipsters v3.0 in 30 years
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    iTunes is an abomination but I love my ipods.

I had an early ish classic with the 4 buttons above the wheel. Now I have an 3rd Gen Touch and a 160gb classic.

The Touch has finally reached the age where I can't get my Audible books on it as Amazon haven't kept up support for earlier iOS versions of the Audible app. I will replace it when I have some spare cash. I've had it for a good ten years or more so I'm not upset that it needs updating. 

The classic is pretty much permanently attacked to a Pioneer dock I have in my kitchen. Sounds fantastic.

The touch is brilliant for the train too - music or a movie. As long as the movie isn't a large scale SFX thing that doesn't work well. But a drama or something - excellent!
  • Still got my 2009 classic, batteries dead though and don't think it'll charge again. Haven't used it for a while though. Would be using it to listen to tunes on train journeys and even for lessons playing mp3's but since 2017 I signed up to Spotify and can just stream off my phone/iPad so no need for the iPod anymore.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2280
    I’ve got about thousand sound files on my iPod and iTunes that are not commercial releases, such as rehearsals, song ideas, family members talking or performing, mixes, imports of old cassettes.  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    I've got an iPod somewhere, it's the only Apple thing I've ever owned.  I don't know which model but it was a large-ish one with  colour display, so not an early one.  I used to use it in the gym and it's a bloody long time since I've been to a gym...

I don't have iTunes on my current PC, I always found it very irritating, it was always updating and syncing when I didn't want it to.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    Still got my 2009 classic, batteries dead though and don't think it'll charge again. Haven't used it for a while though. Would be using it to listen to tunes on train journeys and even for lessons playing mp3's but since 2017 I signed up to Spotify and can just stream off my phone/iPad so no need for the iPod anymore.
    @Lestratcaster ; - you should be able to get replacement batteries for £notmuch, and replacement is a reasonably easy job.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    Still got my 2009 classic, batteries dead though and don't think it'll charge again. Haven't used it for a while though. Would be using it to listen to tunes on train journeys and even for lessons playing mp3's but since 2017 I signed up to Spotify and can just stream off my phone/iPad so no need for the iPod anymore.
    @Lestratcaster ; - you should be able to get replacement batteries for £notmuch, and replacement is a reasonably easy job.
    I actually haven't tried charging it, might give it a go in a bit, haven't used it in a month so the battery has probably just drained.

Useful for playing mp3's that I cannot get onto Spotify (or can you?) I have to switch and use my phone playing off Google Drive. Still works and the soundcard is a bit better on my S7.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I’m an Apple fan boy , love the iPod but don’t use one as iTunes is a pain . I just want to drag and drop folders and have them be the same on the device as when I create them. iTunes  seems to try and sort them and sometimes can end up with loads of different separate album tracks all in different places for some reason 
    When you get used to how it sorts things, especially albums with slight variations in artist names (eg artist x feat. artist y) as ‘compilations’, it’s actually dead easy and very useful.

Philly_Q said:

I don't have iTunes on my current PC, I always found it very irritating, it was always updating and syncing when I didn't want it to.
    You can just turn that off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11562
    I have a first gen iPod stuck in a drawer here somewhere.  I should dig it out for old times' sake.  My 80gb third (?) gen  model is sat in my study, unused for years, and I have a couple of Nanos kurking around.  The iPhone has rendered them redundant.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

You can just turn that off.
    I'm sure I could have done, but I'm not very tech-savvy...