Actually finished a partscaster! (And now started another)

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
edited November 2021 in Making & Modding
It’s probably no big achievement to most, but am pretty chuffed to have actually put together a playable partscaster. Unlike the countless previous projects I actually finished it too. And it works. And there were no bits left over. Although I did forget to order a switch tip…

It’s used Mex body, a new Guitar Anatomy neck, and is fitted with Radioshop Chris Buck ID pickups - which are mega. Wilkinson WV6 trem, James’ Home of Tone loom, and various hardware bits from North West Guitars. Only bit I’m not happy with are the crap, too big, washer on the machine heads. But I can live with them for now. All built, set up and intonated in an afternoon. 

https://i.imgur.com/HNcX0hX.jpg

Am so amazed to have finished one I’ve immediately picked up a part loaded Tele Deluxe body. That has been painted on acrylic(!). Will get it built up and then break it down again to start looking at refinishing options…

https://imgur.com/104t01b

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Well done, that looks great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Yup - looks great.  It's a very satisfying thing to do, isn't it :)
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Yup - looks great.  It's a very satisfying thing to do, isn't it :)
    Really is - particularly when you are as rubbish as me at making stuff!!
    Fuengi said:m
    Well done, that looks great. 
    Cheers!
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Nice job! :+1: 
    Now sourced a neck. Just waiting on machine heads, string tree and a graphtec nut and can build it up for the first time.

https://imgur.com/Vootfwl
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Partscaster building gets addictive, I just started another and the wife said she had been in the back bedroom and counted my guitars…..21! 19 are from parts
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    paulnb57 said:
    Partscaster building gets addictive, I just started another and the wife said she had been in the back bedroom and counted my guitars…..21! 19 are from parts
    Yikes! Nice work! I have some catching up to do…
    edited November 2021
    Second build done. Nut slot could be tidier. And not entirely happy with the Roswell pickups that came with the body - but that can be sorted when I get round to v2!

https://i.imgur.com/HY697S4.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    edited November 2021
    I am also a partscaster addict...
    I've made one or two which have come out really good.
    I will tend to buy a neck or some part on the basis It'll be good for if/when I see corresponding parts to go with it.

This is my best Strat: a Warmoth neck, Fender MIM body, SD JB humbucker & Tonerider SC pickups.

Another Strat I'm working on - I bought the body in a shop and it took me ages to get a neck for it. SD pickups, a Schaller Floyd trem, a Freeway 10-way selector switch.

A Precision I put together from parts and a J I picked up as-is in a shop. Badass bridges, Hipshot tuners, Schaller Straplocks, J-Retro & not sure what pickups on the J, Fender USA pickups on the Precision.

A tricked-up Rickenbacker: I bought the skeleton body from the Butcher of NJ and had some fun with parts (Kahler bridge, SD pickups, 6-way selector, Hipshot tuners, inc. drop-D).

A Ric copy, originally custom-made as an 8-string made for Paul Gray if The Damned, but re-purposed as a 4-string and sold to me as a project, which I completed with bits from my parts box.

A MIM Tele - pretty much a Fender body I bought, a neck I got for it, plus various parts; it came out pretty good. I might replace the pickups & bridge if the right things falls into my lap, but no rush.

I've got various other parts & part-done projects, including another Ric copy which is based around an aged brass pickguard I happened across (yep - I bought a pickguard and then thought I need to build a bass to go with it!), some necks waiting for bodies, and whatever.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great stuff - they look ace. What are you thinking finish wise for the Tele? 

As was mentioned above, it's very addictive. I've only done 3 but they've been evolving over 10-15 years.. always on the lookout for better bits!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

@prowla nice work! Particularly love that second strat!

Great stuff - they look ace. What are you thinking finish wise for the Tele? 

As was mentioned above, it's very addictive. I've only done 3 but they've been evolving over 10-15 years.. always on the lookout for better bits!

In my head - Olive Green with matching headstock, black guard and P90s. It will probably end up staying gold for ages - I kinda like the crappy finish for some bizarre reason!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    ellwood said:
    @prowla nice work! Particularly love that second strat!
    Cheers - it's fun, isn't it!
    I've got a Fender Cowpoke bass I'd like to get finished in that surf-green colour like your Strat.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    @ellwood Your second build look great too…told you it was addictive!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll