Xvive Echoman appreciation thread

What's Hot
AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 918
edited October 2021 in FX
Over on this thread https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/215272/ehx-dmm-nano#latest, @joetele mentioned he'd snagged one of these for a bargainous fifty quid. Cue a load of us following suit before the eBay shop realises they've underpriced it, and here we are. 

Lovely photo from @Jonathanthomas83

So, to keep this thread separate from the DMM Nano chat, who's got one? And how's everyone finding theirs? I've only had the briefest of plays but really liking the slower modulation setting (blue, which I think is vibrato right?) and the tone of the repeats.

Unexpected bonus, the buffered bypass really seems to have improved by basic tone, I've accidentally got an all true bypass board at the moment, and so this little guy is helping out!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Yep, it's a great pedal. I love how completely different it is to the other analog delays I've owned, and the modulation is so much nicer too. It's a dreamy sounding pedal. I thought the blue setting was chorus but I could be wrong. Whatever it is, it sounds lush. And the red setting is great too for a completely different tone. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you, kindly, @AntonHunter, for dropping my pic in there, much appreciated.

I'm putting together a few sound clips and thoughts on the pedal and will post them on this here thread tomorrow, if I can.

Great idea to start a thread, was a bit of a piss take off topic on the other thread...I think we might have done EHX out of some nano sales by talking about this on there! Ha. (Not really!)

Initial thoughts are that I really like it. And separately, for £50, that's a really nice bonus.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, would love to hear your sound clips folks. And @WiresDreamDisasters posted some on the other thread I think right? Care to include them here too? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Of course!

Just something pretty quick and dirty I did when I got it. I really like the oscillations on this thing. they never seem to go totally hog-wild and offensive; so you can come up with these huge washy pads, and then play over the top. Good when paired with a looper too.

Of course it does the great slapback thing that the DMM is good for as well.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I succumbed. I fancied one at £110 so for £49 even if it’s just a fancy paperweight I think that’s okay. Should be with me on Tuesday. 
    From the YouTube demos will be perfect for my terrible attempts at being Andy Summers. 

I noticed the Xvive Sweet Leo being knocked out at half price as well. Even less idea why I want one of those but if anyone was after a VFM low gain drive get thee to eBay. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    I've just nabbed an Echoman from Ivor Mairants

The Sweet Leo appeals to me as my son is called Leo but the demos don't really appeal to me.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited October 2021
    I really like this delay. It gives me the same vibes I used to get from the countless Deluxe Memory Man pedals I've had over the years (big and small!). That said, I've got a very specific use case and that's pretty much as Drew describes above, a simple modulated wash. I expect many other pedals can do this but I like the sound that DMM's make.

The modulation is great. And I think, from memory, that it is more usable that a DMM in the different variations...I found that the DMM has narrow margins for good and plain unusable for my needs.

My only thought is that the knobs are wobbly and you can feel that noticeably. And that maybe the new Nano DMM would have more range on the delay settings because right now, I'm kind of stick in a sweet spot and anything outside that sounds not so good, to my ears. But that's speculation until I try one. Which I will.

The plan is that if I like the DMM, I'll use them in stereo for one or two projects.

Here's a clip of my application. I make no apologies for the use of a Black hole reverb at the end of the chain (in series), because it's wholly necessary for what I like to do.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Has anyone tested if they are well behaved on a daisy chain?
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I really like this delay. It gives me the same vibes I used to get from the countless Deluxe Memory Man pedals I've had over the years (big and small!). That said, I've got a very specific use case and that's pretty much as Drew describes above, a simple modulated wash. I expect many other pedals can do this but I like the sound that DMM's make.

The modulation is great. And I think, from memory, that it is more usable that a DMM in the different variations...I found that the DMM has narrow margins for good and plain unusable for my needs.

My only thought is that the knobs are wobbly and you can feel that noticeably. And that maybe the new Nano DMM would have more range on the delay settings because right now, I'm kind of stick in a sweet spot and anything outside that sounds not so good, to my ears. But that's speculation until I try one. Which I will.

The plan is that if I like the DMM, I'll use them in stereo for one or two projects.

Here's a clip of my application. I make no apologies for the use of a Black hole reverb at the end of the chain (in series), because it's wholly necessary for what I like to do.

Mate I bloody loved that clip. Kindred spirits, sonically. Just followed you on Instagram (I'm Pale Blurs) 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetele said:

Mate I bloody loved that clip. Kindred spirits, sonically. Just followed you on Instagram (I'm Pale Blurs) 

Thank you very much, that's very kind of you, mate. I've given you a mutual follow and have lined up some bandcamp tunes for the work schedule tomorrow, so thanks for that :-)

• KeyrohKeyroh Frets: 59
    Tempted by this as they seem back up on eBay at 50 quid after showing as sold out over the weekend.

Does the buffered bypass mean the delay trails carry on after bypassing? 
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
    Keyroh said:
    Tempted by this as they seem back up on eBay at 50 quid after showing as sold out over the weekend.

Does the buffered bypass mean the delay trails carry on after bypassing? 
    No, the trails cut off when you switch the pedal off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 462
    Mine just arrived - its got some really nice sounds in it after a few mins of use.  Great simple alt to my RKM and midi set up, may will go straight onto my mini board.  Great shout and for £50 it just ridiculously good.  
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I noticed the Xvive Sweet Leo being knocked out at half price as well. Even less idea why I want one of those but if anyone was after a VFM low gain drive get thee to eBay. 
    Incoming lol. Do love my DOD 250 for overdrive but this sounds like it's more flubby on the bottom and I do like a flubby bottom
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Mine just arrived. The box looks a bit bashed. And inside - OMG that pedal is tiny! Amazing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tFB Trader
    Had a bit of a play with mine. 

I don't think you will find a better delay for £50 

Does most of what I remember you can get from a DMM and also makes a great chorus with the time turned down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited October 2021
    ^ That's kind of what I suspected- hard to beat for £50, maybe even a bit more. If you don't already have something which will do those tones- fortunately/unfortunately (delete as applicable) I already do...  
  • I can't turn it off at the moment, it's such a great sounding delay. I know that's true of all DMM's but I'm just excited to have one (or something like it, anyway) in my chain again.

• I'm not much of a pedal junky, but thought about buying one when the deal was first disclosed, missed out of buying one and convinced myself I didn't need another delay.

Then when I saw they were back on sale at £50, it didn't take long to convince myself I needed one.

Delivered today and had a quick go, really pleased with it so far.

Bravo to whoever disclosed the deal!