Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Rob Chapman conundrum

What's Hot

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    TimmyO said:
    Jesus 
    I cant agree more with this statement
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And Drew wonders why Roland wonders why we might have a retention problem....

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Without being rude about this I genuinely don’t understand the point of dredging this topic up again.

I know the essence of a forum is open discussion across a variety of topics but for me RC is on a shortlist with the following

Richards Guitars 
    Peach 
    Relics vs Non relic 
    Gibson QC

We know, we get it, we’ve been there… multiple times. Surely the guitar world wasn’t that dry or boring enough in the last 24 hours that a topic from the shortlist had to be started? It never ends well.
    I absolutely get what you're saying, but from the point of view of someone relatively new to guitar (like myself), these are mysteries - I bought a guitar from Richard's, and have been completely happy with the product and service, and was unaware of any issues. Likewise RC, a mate has one of his guitars, I've seen a few videos, and so on (I've never seen a real Gibson from anything closer than 30 feet, let alone bought one, and that is likely to continue!).

While it's largely curiousity on my part, these are subjects that are new to some of us.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691

It's not jealousy I don't think. In a world full of A-listers to envy I'm not sure RC is often truly the object of people's jealousy. 

The long and short of it is that people that watch some content for some inexplicable reason feel they should get to have some say over how the person that made conducts various aspects of their public and/or private life. People feel (or felt) invested in him like they had shares in RC the person because they watched him do a blindfold demo once. 

See also Game of Throne and the cringeworthy petition from 'fans' to remake the last series and the bewildering #restorethesnyderverse campaign which I can only imagine was started by Zack Snyder under a pseudonym.  

He's not my cup of tea. I don't really enjoy the way he plays guitar and his dad jokes style grates on me but there is clearly a market for it. But he is a bloke trying to make a living doing the thing he enjoys doing the most. Absolutely fair fucks to him. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    He's a guy doing his best and making it happen. He's a go getter and there is nothing at all wrong with that. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Indeed.

And before anyone feels like jumping in without thinking, the moderation will be strong in this thread.

Don’t be tempted to commit suicide by mod 
    I will reiterate this just once more. 

No further warnings - it’s a subject that’s been done to death here and as many have pointed out there’s no point in dredging it up again. 

Have a good think before you post anything here.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5145
    edited October 2021
    Have a good think before you post anything here.

Well I was just going say that I liked him in the Royale Family….but I’m having second thoughts about it now…

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205

I have ADHD and the description of being stuck on tasks or them having to be high value is absolutely spot on. 
    And yet you spend time moderating on here? You may need to re-consider your value system. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dont really get the hate - I'd buy chappers a beer if I met him - I think there is a degree of jealousy in all of it (+JoBo and Kirk H too) they are actually making a living playing their guitars while us lot are not, seems to bring out the snide in some.

If I met BoJo I'd howerver make him buy me a beer he's loaded, I have met Kirk and the cheap bastard didnt buy me a beer :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    I saw this thread appear last night, quickly followed by @Bridgehouse's excommunication warning.

I can't be bothered to read it all but I'm very surprised it's got to five pages.  Is everyone just saying how much they love him?
  • Can we just have an FAQ on:

Rob Chapman
    Peach guitars
    Couriers etc

So we can stop seeing new threads on them
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10203
    Can we just have an FAQ on:

Rob Chapman
    Peach guitars
    Couriers etc

So we can stop seeing new threads on them
    And shipping to/from EU/custom charges?

Oh, oh, and tonewood. 
    mart said:

I have ADHD and the description of being stuck on tasks or them having to be high value is absolutely spot on. 
    And yet you spend time moderating on here? You may need to re-consider your value system. ;)
    Believe me - it was a struggle to even focus on opening this thread, let alone read or respond to it
    (On a serious note - I see my time moderating here as high value as it’s a worthwhile community)
    Ok, I've done some pruning, and split out the majority of the ADHD conversation into a new thread in Friends In Need (in case anyone wants to share more private stuff):

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/216040/the-adhd-discussion#latest

No more discussion on that topic in here please. 
  • Jetfire said:
    TimmyO said:
    Jesus 

The best thing about these comments ^ is it made me do some research. The answer is they were called Cissie and Ada - repeating it 20 times as quick as possible so I don't forget that :) 

Emp_Fab said:
    my first impression - and it's a very strong one - is that he displays the behaviour of someone with Aspergers / ADHD / Whatever. 
    I’ve got ADHD. He doesn’t come across like that to me, at all. 
    @TeleMaster ;I really want to understand ADHD more, from what I already know I suspect I might be a candidate - any recommendations on identifying it? 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    Jetfire said:
    TimmyO said:
    Jesus 

The best thing about these comments ^ is it made me do some research. The answer is they were called Cissie and Ada - repeating it 20 times as quick as possible so I don't forget that :) 

Emp_Fab said:
    my first impression - and it's a very strong one - is that he displays the behaviour of someone with Aspergers / ADHD / Whatever. 
    @TeleMaster I really want to understand ADHD more, from what I already know I suspect I might be a candidate - any recommendations on identifying it? 
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/216040/the-adhd-discussion#latest
    Red ones are better. 
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I just quoted ADHD as it was just one of the very few personality disorders I know the name of.  I just meant 'he comes across as having some kind of personality 'disorder''.
    Now can we bring back Faceplams? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4997
    I had no view on him either way, but I've just invented a scenario in my head where he kicked a puppy so now I hate him. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DCS222DCS222 Frets: 45
    I think that when you are new to guitars, you look at “how to do stuff” content… once you progress and want to invest more into your hobby, you start looking at gear review videos. Andertons with RC put out a lot of content and had a lot of hits/activity… and 2 generally affable dudes were enjoyable/tolerable for a while but the over-exposure leads to over-familiarisation and the traits that were once amusing become stale, but the traits that were just tolerable become grating and irritating.

I would hate to have my playing exposed to the nit picking extent of having to come up with new riffs every video. They are demo’ing a lot of gear, you would have to be incredibly creative not to sound samey after a few years.

I’ve laughed out loud and totally cringed at some of those videos, but nowadays I barely watch a whole one… as it doesn’t grab my attention. I’ve watched a couple of RC’s newer videos, and they aren’t floating my boat really… 

Best of luck to the fella, he’s much more capable and creative than I…