SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Any Firebird pickups out there?

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
Looking to replace the ceramics in my 2005 FBV, but a little undecided about what to go for as I’m a bit eclectic in my tastes. Before I splash out on some Mojo Johnny Winters etc, anything else out there you don’t want?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a set of DeArmond 2000's I was going to put in a Firebird but I really don't need another guitar. The 2000's are very highly rated and would have the perfect vintage clarity for a 'bird imo. I might consider moving them if you're interested?
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    daveyh said:
    Mojo Johnny Winters 
    Do you mean Mojotone USA? They had an endorsement deal with JW. 

I don't think that the UK-based Mojo Pickups offers Firebird pickups … although, I'm certain that he could if he chose to.

Talk to @OilCityPickups about his Masterwound Winterizer set. I dare say that he could overwind the bridge/Treble position unit to the same extent as the Mojotone product.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    I did mean Mojotone, yes. 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    I have a set of DeArmond 2000's I was going to put in a Firebird but I really don't need another guitar. The 2000's are very highly rated and would have the perfect vintage clarity for a 'bird imo. I might consider moving them if you're interested?
    I don’t know those but I shall have a look see 
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 367
    edited October 2021
    Ash at @OilCityPickups does Firebird replacements and has just announced an autumn sale elsewhere on this splendid forum, perhaps have a word with him.

https://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/product-page/winterizer

edit: someone already mentioned these, doh!
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • I recently installed a Sunbear Pickups Sunbird (Firebird) in the neck of one of my Teles. It's my only experience of Firebird style pickups, but it has become my favourite neck pup in this type of guitar. It can do beautiful, articulate cleans, but gets raunchy when you need that. Works with every overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedal I've thrown at it too. Stuart Robson (the chap behind Sunbear Pickups) is a true gent to deal with - very patient with my numerous numpty questions.  https://www.sunbearpickups.com/firebird-mini-more-pickups/mini-humbucker-moonbird
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10226
    tFB Trader
    I'm always more than happy to chuck a few extra winds on an Oil City Winterizer Firebird bridge pickup (they are wound a little hotter anyway to balance the neck. They are a pickup you don't want to go mad on over winding as they are normally really full bobbins with a normal wind of 42awg wire - to add a large amount more you have to drop to 42.5 (.060mm) or even 43awg - the former of which alters the tone a tiny bit, the latter which destroys the basic clarity.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited October 2021
    Personally I reckon the Winterizer bridge is about right where it is - they are traditionally quite bright/ wiry pickups, but it's already got more winds to balance - unlike the vintage ones, which is where the reputation for "too bright bridge" came from. Also, they do thicken up as they get closer to the strings, so as long as the guitar's setup allows there's no harm in cranking the bridge up as close as is comfortable for more thump/thickness. On my explorer I stuck a bunch of foam under the bridge pickup to get it angled to match the strings, and honestly I've not heard any issue with it screwed up quite high, in terms of killing sustain or generating wolf tones.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I just received a Firebird neck pickup from @OilCityPickups but it's not installed yet. Need all the mounty gubbins
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    For full disclosure, I have a pair of OCP Winterizer II humbuckers in a PRS S2 Singlecut.

I always like the neck position pickup. 

I occasionally wish that the bridge position pickup could be less wiry. (Rolling back its tone control a bit is not always enough to tame it.) There is now the OCP Black Track humbucker to fulfil that brief.  :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.