2x12 with Neo Creambacks, closed back to open back

maharg101maharg101 Frets: 684
So I have a de-badged Laney G212IE 2x12 cab which I like to use vertically. It has Celestion Neo Creambacks with Mitchell Donuts installed, and was, until this morning, closed back.

I was thinking back to previous speaker setups I've had, and how open-backed cabs and combos sounded and "felt" in a band situation compared to closed back. I had a sense that the Creambacks (which seem to be generally well regarded) weren't delivering their best sound in a closed back cab. In particular they seemed to be somehow missing some of the top end sparkle I am looking for, particularly with single coil sounds. A bit "dark" sounding if you like.

So I consulted TFB archives and found this post in which the conclusion was that these speakers sounded best in an open back cab, for medium gain tones.

It's never going to win any prizes for wood working, but I still have all my digits, so it counts as a total success ;) It's just a bit of pine (I think) from B&Q. I'm not bothering with Tolex or any of that nonsense. I will probably apply some linseed oil to the wood in the spring. The original tolexed plywood back panel has been safely stashed away, natch.

Most importantly: the sound. Playing the cab in the lounge isn't the whole story of course, and I'm looking forward to hearing it in a band scenario. Initial impressions with the cab about 18 inches from the corner of the room are that the cabinet sound is much improved, more airy, with significant added sparkle at the top end. Overall it sounds more "three-dimensional" - a common observation on open-backed cabs, and makes sense from a physics perspective I suppose. These things are very subjective of course.

As you can see, I haven't bothered with a lower back section as yet. I've read quite a few posts saying that straight, parallel edges are to be avoided, so I might try out some sort of wavy-line top edge on a lower section. I'm going to live with this for a while until I get the chance to try it in a band situ.

¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    Straight, parallel edges are to be avoided... you mean like 95% of all open-back cabs and combos ever made? Most of which sound perfectly good!

I would just do the simple job and make it straight. Or not bother at all, if you like the way it sounds now - quite a lot of combos are as open as that round the back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 684
    I agree @ICBM all of the open backed cabs I've had were just straightforward rectangular openings. I suppose I just mean I am just curious to find out if a wavy line would sound different. So I might construct a flat edge and a wavy edge lower panel to see what transpires :)
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom