SG - Reversing an added bigbsy back to TOM or other trem

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
edited October 2021 in Making & Modding
I saw this 70's SG for sale today that looks great apart from that someone has added a bigsby (B5?) and plugged the holes from the original tail piece.   

What are the easiest options for replacing it?     A longer bigbsy or maestro would look a lot better.

https://i.imgur.com/RI4PJIM.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26970
    edited October 2021
    You could always do a Derek Trucks and put a Maestro frame & cover on it but still with the TOM. Or.. put a Bigsby back on??

EDIT: I can now see the picture. Keep the Bigsby!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Given that there's sure to be a horseshoe mark where the finish hasn't faded as much, I'd leave it. It's cooler with the Bigsby anyway - especially as it's a Gibson-logo'd one. The problem is that it's been fitted crooked, so it will still need plugging and redrilling, but it shouldn't leave a noticeable amount of the horseshoe mark visible.

Also notice that it has such a low neck angle that the height wheels for the bridge have been recessed into the top, at least on the bass side, if that matters...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    If that SG has already been refinished after the tailpiece inserts were filled, there is no originality value to be lost by having it finished again. 

I would argue that it is worth having the neck steamed off and reset with a steeper pitch angle.

Such an undertaking will not be cheap. Given the variable quality of Gibson guitars of that era, it might be wiser to purchase a pre-owned reissue '61 SG/LP.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    I would just take it off and redrill the plugged holes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    edited November 2021
    And you get to keep the B5! 1  I’ve got some repro ones somewhere? Your more than welcome to one.
    https://i.imgur.com/0HkQdDY.jpg