Acoustic Strings, round 2

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5405
    MSedg said:
    I’ve been reading about the Santa Cruz strings today having been on a similar journey. Where the best place to get them in UK? Strings Direct is my usual haunt but don’t seem to carry them.
    Probably Strings by Mail. http://stringsbymail.com Prompt service and very reasonable prices - much better than any UK dealer I know of. Even after you pay some extortion to the border control people, you'll still be well in front.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Mellish said:
    @artiebear ; - that's what I did when I found the perfect strings for my HD-28, bought by the box (10 sets).

With a new guitar though, like my Gibson Dove Original, I'm finding out what strings suit, so I'm cautious and buying sets singly or two at most :) 
    I agree with your caution. What works on a Martin can be so off on a Gibson. I like a nice bright big tone on a Martin, but always prefer something sweeter on a corresponding Gibson.
  • GomersGomers Frets: 17
    Have to say I'm totally on board with Martin Retros 12's on my 000-15, very nice to the touch, very mellow and with less tension than similar gauge strings from other makers.  I did try them on a 000-28 and they didn't work for me but think that may have been the guitar more than the strings.

Going to try them on my LL-500 as it's a brighter guitar than a rosewood Martin.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26925
    Gomers said:
    Have to say I'm totally on board with Martin Retros 12's on my 000-15, very nice to the touch, very mellow and with less tension than similar gauge strings from other makers.  I did try them on a 000-28 and they didn't work for me but think that may have been the guitar more than the strings.

Going to try them on my LL-500 as it's a brighter guitar than a rosewood Martin.
    Yeah, I do think they're great strings for the right guitar. And the right guitar seems to involve anything with those classic spruce + rosewood/mahogany combinations.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires