"I say ........" How things change......

What's Hot

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    edited October 2021

You have to leave these as a relic......can you imagine a remake of Brief Encounter ( ' I do so terribly love you ') ....they would be shagging on the train whilst being filmed on an iphone and uploaded to Tik Tok by Karen from Crydon.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brief_Encounter_(1974_film)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    There’s a channel on terrestrial TV called Great Movies. I’d be happy to sit spend watch the old B&W, square format films, especially if they’re war films. The Cruel Sea is a favourite of mine, Ice Cold in Alex is another. 
    Channel 81, Talking Pictures - old films all day long.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27460
    Nitefly said:
    There’s a channel on terrestrial TV called Great Movies. I’d be happy to sit spend watch the old B&W, square format films, especially if they’re war films. The Cruel Sea is a favourite of mine, Ice Cold in Alex is another. 

@chillidoggy remembers when the talkies first came in.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Joeys a he bird ..... cock .. he is the man in the pet shop said so !  you wouldnt call your self a cock man .... chance would be a fine thing ...

if you think 9 inches is an average one youve been spoiled ....

Fakir off !

X
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    TTony said:
    Nitefly said:

@chillidoggy remembers when the talkies first came in.

Yeah, and they all talked git posh, like.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Love this Carry on bit:

Classic scene with Sid James in Carry On Abroad. Sid offers her a drink “No I don’t drink. I tried it once but didn’t like it” He offers her a cigarette. “No thanks. I tried it once but didn’t like it. My daughter is just the same.” Sid remarks “You’re only child I presume?”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    edited October 2021
    I grew up watching those Carry On and St. Trinians films and love them to pieces. Carry On Cabbie is a particular favourite of mine, wonderful humour and a great soundtrack too.

I liked the Mitchell and Webb's take on Carry On Doctor. grin 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    edited October 2021
    Dominic said:
    Was talking this morning about the old Elstree films whilst in Borehamwood /Elstree and how they were composed of caricatures .....we mentioned George Cole from his StTrinians days as the cockney sparrow spiv ' Flash Harry '
      Somebody then mentioned the smooth old Lounge Lizard Leslie Phillips ( I say , Ding Dong ! )
    They were all pretty harmless / vanilla but can you imagine the Me Too / Wokie outrage and the unfeesibilty of a load of gym slip 16 year olds getting saucy in a girls boarding school ......it would be seen as a Paedo's Picnic 
    Or , the sexist ,lechy Leslie !
     I still thought he was great ........just off to tie my Cravat........toodle pip !
    "Me Too / Wokie outrage?" A fine response to people rightly battling against cultures of sexual crime and bigotry. 

Jesus wept. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    equalsql said:
    I grew up watching those Carry On and St. Trinians films and love them to pieces. Carry On Cabbie is a particular favourite of mine, wonderful humour and a great soundtrack too.

I liked the Mitchell and Webb's take on Carry On Doctor. grin 

never seen that .........it was hilarious ,well done for posting.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5752
    Dominic said:
    Was talking this morning about the old Elstree films whilst in Borehamwood /Elstree and how they were composed of caricatures .....we mentioned George Cole from his StTrinians days as the cockney sparrow spiv ' Flash Harry '
      Somebody then mentioned the smooth old Lounge Lizard Leslie Phillips ( I say , Ding Dong ! )
    They were all pretty harmless / vanilla but can you imagine the Me Too / Wokie outrage and the unfeesibilty of a load of gym slip 16 year olds getting saucy in a girls boarding school ......it would be seen as a Paedo's Picnic 
    Or , the sexist ,lechy Leslie !
     I still thought he was great ........just off to tie my Cravat........toodle pip !
    "Me Too / Wokie outrage?" A fine response to people rightly battling against cultures of sexual crime and bigotry. 

Jesus wept. 
    Quite. Let the Wokie win 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    dazzajl said:
    Quite. Let the Wokie win 
    Yeah. Nobody wants their arms pulled out of their sockets...
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 366
     Ice Cold in Alex
    I was telling my other half about Ice Cold in Alex a couple of days ago. It's a fantastic film. The Flight of the Phoenix too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Jfingers said:
     Ice Cold in Alex
    I was telling my other half about Ice Cold in Alex a couple of days ago. It's a fantastic film. The Flight of the Phoenix too.

Both absolute classics that stand up to time really well. And ironically for this thread, the Phoenix remake is really good too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yup, 'Flight of the Phoenix' is another one of old Chilli's faves. The original has the edge, though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11293
    If a film has Kenneth Moore, Jack Hawkins or John Mills in the cast it's probably going to be worth watching. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Yup, 'Flight of the Phoenix' is another one of old Chilli's faves. The original has the edge, though.
    It has Jimmy Stewart, so that’s pretty much a given. 
    Another fave old movie is 'San Demetrio London', but I haven't seen any trace of it for years and years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Demetrio_London

• NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Another fave old movie is 'San Demetrio London', but I haven't seen any trace of it for years and years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Demetrio_London
    An Ealing film.

They made some superb war films like The Cruel sea and a favourite of mine, Went the day well. 

Later on they made many light hearted comedies at which they were also particularly adept, like The Ladykillers, Passport to Pimlico, Man in the white suit etc, many with Alec Guinness. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11634
    edited October 2021
    If you're talking about bygone times and genius film-making in the same breath, look no further than Powell & Pressburger's 'A Matter Of Life And Death' (1946).  A gem of a movie with a magical atmosphere, a great fantasy storyline, a stellar cast and fabulous cinematography and use of B&W and saturated colour.  Originally called 'Stairway To Heaven' in the US, it's one of my favourite films of all time and I never tire of it.  It reminds me of my dear old Dad with whom I first remember watching it.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1826
    Remember when the Sun did their big thing about paedos being bad people and then a month or so later out came the 'New' St Trinian"s film and it was all "Cor look at these sexy schoolgirl stunners."