Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anybody seen Dune yet?

What's Hot
We had a 007 thread the day after release surprised we've not had one yet for Dune.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    I was tempted to start one but didn't want the notifications! 

I saw it on Friday and really enjoyed it. It's hard to say "loved" because it desperately needs part 2, but assuming that's on the same level they'll be viewed as top level classics. 

I've been a fan of Villeneuve for a long time. I can't wait to see what he does next. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Yes it was slow..................................................................
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 582
    Yeah! Watched it on Friday night. Went in to it not knowing anything about the story - haven't seen the original film or read the book. Really enjoyed it. Well made, great production, great casting. Beautiful visuals as expected from the director from his previous works.

I didn't realise this was Part One so when it ended I was like "huh?". The 2.5 hours went by quickly. Looking forward to the next installment whenever that comes out.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Yes it was slow..................................................................
    It's still Dune, I think we might have to accept it was always going to be slow in places

I still watch the old version every so often, somehow expecting it to be better.   I tend to remember the good bits and forget how dull and badly put together it is.  I desperately want it to be better than it is. 

I really enjoyed this new version, I really hope part 2 gets made.   My girlfriend didn't enjoy it at all,  she normally has a high tolerance for Sci Fi.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    I actually liked the Lynch film and I'm looking forward to this - but I'll wait for part 2 and see them together. Assuming that happens. And if it doesn't - then I won't have wasted any time on half a story.

How far does part 1 get into the story?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 455
    Haven't read the book, loved the film. I took my dad, as he never gets to the cinema, who had read the books and similarly also loved it.

Villeneuve is the guy it seems.
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    I haven't read the book or seen the Lynch version - and now I can't because I don't want to spoil part 2!

I actually liked the Lynch film and I'm looking forward to this - but I'll wait for part 2 and see them together. Assuming that happens. And if it doesn't - then I won't have wasted any time on half a story.

If everyone does this they'll never make part 2... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes it was slow GREAT..................................................................
    FTFY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    MrSwanson said:

Yep. Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 and all utterly fantastic. Prisoners is great but a bit heavy. 

I haven't seen Enemy because it's significantly spider-related and will shit me up, but I understand it's very good... 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    Repeating what I just posted in the films thread, I wish Alejandro Jodorowsky had been able to make his version:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 455
    MrSwanson said:

Yep. Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 and all utterly fantastic. Prisoners is great but a bit heavy. 

I haven't seen Enemy because it's significantly spider-related and will shit me up, but I understand it's very good... 
    Looks like Enemy is the only one of his English speaking releases I haven't seen, will get on that soonish. All the above are great films, I saw BR on Imax twice as was that impressed by the visuals!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    I haven't read the book or seen the Lynch version - and now I can't because I don't want to spoil part 2!

If everyone does this they'll never make part 2... 
    I get that but I don't go to the cinema for me anymore anyway. For a good 15 years I've only gone with the family and that means the stuff the kids wanted to see.

The other 3 have no interest in sci-fi whatsoever. 

Dune Part 1 will be on streaming by the time they confirm the position on Part 2 and then I can have a look.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    Saw it last night. Hated it. It was like Kevin the spoilt teenager meets Game of Thrones. And where were the space guild navigators? David Lynch's version is way ahead of this arse wipe.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 986
    Saw about 15 mins of it on my mates tele. Couldn't follow it so we switched it off and watched something else. Probably a good film if you concentrate on what's going on instead of chatting over the top and eating curry. I've read a bit of the book and the beginning is definitely different.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A friend of mine made some of the models for Dune, so I need to watch it :)

“Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    edited October 2021
    My bro was a massive fan of the book back in the 70s, he saw it and these were his words:

Last night I went to see Dune at the cinema and it was fabulous. It’s probably the most faithful translation of a book to screen that I’ve ever seen. The casting is wonderful, the acting is excellent, the cinematography and soundscape is atmospheric.
    It is part 1 of two parts, and for the first time I’ve got no problem with that because they really gave the story room to breathe.
    It’s also a reminder of what excellent sci-fi it is - written in the 60’s, the technology which Frank Herbert envisaged is portrayed beautifully and none of it looks dated. (It has what is now my favourite envisaging of ornithoptors that I’ve seen to date).
    I do hope lots of people see it at the cinema, and it is the success it deserves to be.

I saw a trailer and it looked like some massive battle scene. I hate stuff like that personally so I'll probably skip it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    I feel like I need to re-read the books, it's been about 40 years.  I'll watch the film first though.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    axisus said:
    My bro was a massive fan of the book back in the 70s, he saw it and these were his words:

Last night I went to see Dune at the cinema and it was fabulous. It’s probably the most faithful translation of a book to screen that I’ve ever seen. The casting is wonderful, the acting is excellent, the cinematography and soundscape is atmospheric.
    It is part 1 of two parts, and for the first time I’ve got no problem with that because they really gave the story room to breathe.
    It’s also a reminder of what excellent sci-fi it is - written in the 60’s, the technology which Frank Herbert envisaged is portrayed beautifully and none of it looks dated. (It has what is now my favourite envisaging of ornithoptors that I’ve seen to date).
    I do hope lots of people see it at the cinema, and it is the success it deserves to be.

I saw a trailer and it looked like some massive battle scene. I hate stuff like that personally so I'll probably skip it.
    Havung seen the trailer, I do wonder if they noticeably overemphasised the action sequences because they dont want another BR 2049 box office showing. 
  • nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    Wasn't expecting much but I really enjoyed it once I got over the very futuristic people being called Kevin and Brian. Still haven't made it through BR2049 but then I wasn't a massive fan of the original
    axisus said:

Honestly, it's about as far from your typical comicbook or Michael Bay kersplosion-fest as you can imagine without being a one-woman art piece about grief, set entirely in a cottage in France. 

There is a little of that but it's very different to anything I remember seeing elsewhere and a relatively short bit of the film.