Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anybody seen Dune yet?

What's Hot

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1369
    seen it twice, once imax and once on regular. imax was much, much better. not that the film is suddenly bad on not-imax, but the difference in colour depth was substantial. i can see people coming out of a regular screening like mine and thinking "wait, weren't those guys supposed to have bright blue eyes or something?"
    I'll wait for part 2 and see them together.
    don't be daft, just see it if you're interested!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited October 2021
    I loved it.

The books (especially the first) I read every couple years. I'm actually a fan of the first film despite its substantial divergence from the book and I treat it as a separate but related thing, enjoyed on its own merits.

I do think Lynch nailed the atmosphere and elements of the visuals such as the still suits.

And If I'm being honest, it seems like theres more than a few original movie visual cues present in the new film. I have to say, there feels like quite a bit of Giger inspired design as well which is nice to see.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7389

How far does part 1 get into the story?
    Things you might remember that they got to:

The tooth
    Paul being challenged by Jamis and the subsequent fight 
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24162
    bbill335 said:
    seen it twice, once imax and once on regular. imax was much, much better. not that the film is suddenly bad on not-imax, but the difference in colour depth was substantial. i can see people coming out of a regular screening like mine and thinking "wait, weren't those guys supposed to have bright blue eyes or something?"
    Would you read half a book if the second half wasn't even confirmed to be on the way?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11857
    I've not read the book and knew it's only half the movie and still REALLY enjoyed it.  It's well worth my time.

It's one of the best thing ever graced the cinema in like a decade, one of the best science fiction adaptations ever made.  Even if they don't make part 2, It is still worth my time.

And if you don't watch this in the cinema then they might not even make part 2.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    bbill335 said:
    Would you read half a book if the second half wasn't even confirmed to be on the way?

I imagine this is how readers of game of thrones feel
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335 said:
    Hey Still waiting for books 5 and 6 of Game of thrones
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335 said:
    Lord of the Rings was one book, the publishers didn't trust it to sell so asked it be split into 3 and they'd decide whether to publish the latter two parts if the first sold any. 

So lucky for us some people did read a third of a book ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24162
    tekbow said:
    bbill335 said:

I haven't read them either!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    tekbow said:
    bbill335 said:

I haven't read them either!
    save yourself the time and don't bother!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    He’s certainly a great director, Prisoners, Sicario and Bladerunner are extremely well made, excellent films. Hope he doesn’t end up getting too convoluted with his films like Chris Nolan.
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Philly_Q said:
    I feel like I need to re-read the books, it's been about 40 years.  I'll watch the film first though.
    Just done exactly that.  Very excited about the new film so downloaded all of them to the Kindle (just about to start Heretics).
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7389
    I have mixed thoughts on it:

I don't agree with the "it's slow" comments (which seem to be in most of the reviews as well as some thoughts here) - doing half the book in 2.5 hours just gives it all time to breathe - but it also creates a new problem: how to emphasise the importance of certain things that were signalled in the Lynch movie by a drop in pace (e.g. when the seeker comes into Paul's room - that silence and slowness didn't stand out from the rest of the scenes, whereas in the Lynch movie it really did) 

I think the switch to Chani as narrator (away from the Emperor's daughter, as in both book and Lynch) is odd - and might be why I thought that the Bene Gesserit machinations were far less clear (also based on the unrepresentative sample of 1 - my son) than in the previous adaptations.

I also thought it odd that we didn't get the "tooth" scene from Leto's narrated POV - and I'm guessing because they chose not to narrate his paralysis-drug-addled thoughts they decided to change the reason why the assassination attempt failed for fear of it being confusing. It just left me miffed that a key moment was changed. 

I hope they follow through the 2nd half in more detail than the Lynch movie did - Paul's responsibilities to the Sietch and James' family having killed Jamis in combat was glossed over, as was a lot of day to day life of the Fremen. The book (iirc) treats them far more as a society than as battle-fodder. If we get part 2 then I hope that's all in there. 

Other than that, I really liked it - I was worried I'd not like a modern, gritty portrayal having really loved the Lynch movie visuals but it was pretty cool. 

Red ones are better. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12314
    edited October 2021
    Just watched it, never read the books, have vague memories of the original film but couldn't remember the storyline.  I'd be more enthusiastic about it if that was part one of 4 or 5 - if that's half of the whole tale it doesn't seem like a particularly involved tale.  Perhaps I'm too used to long involved tales like the whole star wars saga, Game of thrones, LOTR or harry potter.

However it was a good film in it's own right.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26870
    Dune Part 2 has been greenlit!! 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    munckee said:
    Just watched it, never read the books, have vague memories of the original film but couldn't remember the storyline.  I'd be more enthusiastic about it if that was part one of 4 or 5 - if that's half of the whole tale it doesn't seem like a particularly involved tale.  Perhaps I'm too used to long involved tales like the whole star wars saga, Game of thrones, LOTR or harry potter.

It's not half of the whole tale in terms of the book, which makes LOTR Look a bit unambitious.

But like LOTR, the film is more like the highlights and main plot points of the book.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    munckee said:

It's only half of the novel Dune itself, there were several sequels - six books altogether by Frank Herbert, then numerous sequels and prequels by his son Brian Herbert and other authors.  So there's plenty of material, potentially, to play with.

I only read the first four or five books and gave up because I found the sequels increasingly irritating.  I know I didn't like the way the story developed, but I can't remember why - it was a long time ago!
  • Saw it last night. Loved it!

I was a big fan of the original novel since I was a teenager, but gave up on the series halfway through the third book. Excellent adaptation of what is a very dense and complex source novel. Felt it captured very well the mood of the novel - the mystique of the Bene Gesserit/Fremen/other cultures in the book, the menace of the Harkonnens (without the pantomime farce of the original Lynch movie), and the stark beauty of the planet itself.

Only criticism was dialogue was a bit too 'whispery' and hard to make out at times - especially Rebecca Ferguson and Stellan Skarsgard. I found it a little hard to make out sometimes what they were saying. My girlfriend (for whom English is a second language) really struggled with the dialogue at times. 

When Part Two comes out, we'll definitely try and catch a screening with subtitles! 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26870
    edited October 2021

When Part Two comes out, we'll definitely try and catch a screening with subtitles! 
    I'd suggest finding a different cinema! It was all fine where we saw it (aside from the two chuckleheads in front of us talking throughout and especially in the quiet bits...)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

• When Part Two comes out, we'll definitely try and catch a screening with subtitles! 
    I'd suggest finding a different cinema! It was all fine where we saw it (aside from the two chuckleheads in front of us talking throughout and especially in the quiet bits...)
    Fair point! I go to my local Cineworld cos I have an Unlimited Card and go as many times as a like for a monthly DD. I never venture to other places, but maybe I ought to consider it...