Moto G smartphone choosing.....

For several years now I've upgraded my phone simply by choosing the latest Moto G handset in whichever variation I think suits me best - usually the big screen (Plus), biggest memory option.

I've currently got a G6 Plus.

I need/want an upgrade now but the choice has got confusing. They've released about 4 different model numbers this year, and I can see differences in the spec but it appears they are not a simple hierarchy. Instead it seems one is designed for photography, one for apps, one for games maybe. I don't know if that's true, but the specs seem to be all over the place.

I must confess to not knowing enough, so I wondered if anyone could assist.

There's the

Even the comparison on their website doesn't really help unless you know the difference between a Snapdragon XYZ and a Snapdragon ABC
https://www.motorola.co.uk/compare-smartphones?p1=267&p2=243&p3=242

If I can get away with the cheaper handset then I will. I might even get away with bunging a microSD card in my current handset.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    are any of them even an upgrade on a G6 plus?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • tony99 said:
    That is also a very good question
  • tony99 said:
    That is also a very good question
    Unless you care much about camera quality I don't think any phone released in the last five years is really an upgrade. But if you care so much about taking pictures, maybe spend £500 on a camera that would be better than any smartphone forever. Phone cameras can only get so good, you can't change the physics of how light behaves in a lens. 
    Maximum volume yields maximum results
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I think the question is: What are you trying to achieve by upgrading?

This will dictate the appropriate device.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 296
    I have the G7power, the battery life is great, my package on GiffGaff is the £6 per month so it has minimal use, all 3 have the same memory apart from the G10  and as you say, it seems to be the camera which dictates the price. I think there is a G8 in the classifieds for  £58 https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/215773/moto-g8-power-lite-boxed-like-new#latest
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    Strangely enough I was looking at the Motorola site yesterday and got similarly confused.

I've got a Moto G (3rd Generation) which I hardly ever use - I actually use a cheap little Nokia which is not smart - but it's getting ever-more-necessary to have a smartphone and my Motorola only has Android 5, so loads of apps don't work.

I'm not going to spend hundreds of pounds on a smartphone, I don't really give a shit about how good the camera is or anything, but even in their budget range the options are confusing.  The G9 and G10 seemed to be sold out so I guess they're the most popular?  But maybe the G9's a bit out of date?  Are the G10/30/50/60 the newest models?
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3663
    edited October 2021
    We just got 3 Moto G50’s for the family.  5G ready.

Very nice phones for the price.

What are you using it for to justify any expense?
  • We just got 3 Moto G50’s for the family.  5G ready.

Just the usual stuff. Web browsing, email, pointless photos of my lunch, mobile banking etc.

Just the usual stuff. Web browsing, email, pointless photos of my lunch, mobile banking etc.
    I use a moto G6 plus for all that.

Although admittedly the photos are of my lunch not yours.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I have the Motorola Edge from 1 year ago. Fine phone, excellent battery life and great camera but can't be arsed about the curved screen, waste of screen real estate.
  • tony99 said:

I think the problem I have is that I'm running out of storage space. So perhaps I should take less photos of my lunch. Maybe I could just get a link to yours?

I will buy a 128GB microSD card and see if that resolves the issue.
    tony99 said:

I think the problem I have is that I'm running out of storage space. So perhaps I should take less photos of my lunch. Maybe I could just get a link to yours?

I will buy a 128GB microSD card and see if that resolves the issue.
    yeah, first thing I done when I got mine was get a 128g card
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    If you do decide to go for something new, some of the Xiaomi phones are very good for the money.  I have a Moto G, but I bought my daughter a Xiaomi that is very good.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    tFB Trader
    I generally upgrade my Moto G every year when it drops out of my pocket, smashing the screen.

I currently have the G8 Power which is nice and fast.
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 448
    One thing to check is the screen resolution.  Your G6 Plus seems to be 1080p on a 5.9" screen.  A lot of the newer ones seem to be 720p stretched over a 6.3" or so screen.  Would it be noticeable to you?  Perhaps not, but I don't like taking a step backwards on something as important as the screen.  Annoyingly, the Moto site doesn't let you filter on screen res, so you have to check to see if it's FHD (1080) or HD+ (720).
    crunchman said:
    If you do decide to go for something new, some of the Xiaomi phones are very good for the money.  I have a Moto G, but I bought my daughter a Xiaomi that is very good.
    I was looking up some "best cheap smartphones" reviews the other day and a lot of them recommended Xiaomi.  That said, I tend to be a bit snobby about brands I've never heard of (although they're probably all made in the smartphone equivalent of the Cor-Tek guitar factory).
  • I've ordered a microSD card, but will probably look at a new handset in Spring.
    Thanks all
  • Philly_Q said:
    crunchman said:
    I was looking up some "best cheap smartphones" reviews the other day and a lot of them recommended Xiaomi.  That said, I tend to be a bit snobby about brands I've never heard of (although they're probably all made in the smartphone equivalent of the Cor-Tek guitar factory).
    I have a budget Xiaomi smartphone and for the price it's difficult to beat. I paid about £70 for mine, it was on offer from about £120 or so. It is 4gb ram/64gb storage, and my 128gb micro SD card works without any problems.

If you sign up to their UK website they have good offers.

Xiaomi have a lot of bloatware on their phones but if you follow a YT video they can be easily disabled.
    Philly_Q said:
    crunchman said:
    I have a budget Xiaomi smartphone and for the price it's difficult to beat. I paid about £70 for mine, it was on offer from about £120 or so. It is 4gb ram/64gb storage, and my 128gb micro SD card works without any problems.

If you sign up to their UK website they have good offers.

Xiaomi have a lot of bloatware on their phones but if you follow a YT video they can be easily disabled.
    It was sounding good but you scared me a bit with that last sentence.  I find even the most basic navigation on smartphones quite intimidating.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    crunchman said:

It was sounding good but you scared me a bit with that last sentence.  I find even the most basic navigation on smartphones quite intimidating.
    Most Android phones come with some bloatware, I think Nokia's are supposed to be the ones with the least amount, but Motorola's are supposed to be pretty good for that as well.