Any help with this harness?

What's Hot
Hi folks, my Dad picked this up for me - a Les paul harness and pickups, look an an EZ wire I guess but any ideas and what its worth? Any help appreciated! Cheers

https://imgur.com/a/EgCtKau
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    To be frank, that collection of Korean parts is of limited monetary worth. The pickups are unlikely to sound much good. 

The block connector system might be easier to suss out if the photographs provided a clearer view of the ends of the blocks to see how they go together.

My guess is that the blue insulated wires serve one pickup and its controls whilst the matching red insulated wires serve the other pickup. Unfortunately, the cable format singularly fails to screen the signal carrying conductors.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited October 2021
    Sadly, that's really poor. The cheapest possible quality pots, switch and jack, large amounts of unshielded cable, and excessive lengths even of the shielded parts. Regardless of the quality of the pickups it will certainly be noisy, probably have poor tapers on the pots and is likely to suck noticeable amounts of top-end... even if the push-connectors prove reliable, which is unknown. The pots are unlikely to even fit a Les Paul properly - the threaded bushings are too short as well as being too small a diameter to correctly fit the holes.

Sorry to be so negative, but I'm going by experience of these parts.

The good news is that if the pots do fit, there may be enough shielded cable to do the job properly if you ditch all the push-connectors and wire directly to the pots and switch…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DazzaDazza Frets: 93
    To be frank, that collection of Korean parts is of limited monetary worth. The pickups are unlikely to sound much good. 

The block connector system might be easier to suss out if the photographs provided a clearer view of the ends of the blocks to see how they go together.

My guess is that the blue insulated wires serve one pickup and its controls whilst the matching red insulated wires serve the other pickup. Unfortunately, the cable format singularly fails to screen the signal carrying conductors.
    Morning, thanks for the message and TBH all exactly as I thought, he picked them up at a car boot but I wanted another take and opinion so much appreciated.

ICBM said:
    Sadly, that's really poor. The cheapest possible quality pots, switch and jack, large amounts of unshielded cable, and excessive lengths even of the shielded parts. Regardless of the quality of the pickups it will certainly be noisy, probably have poor tapers on the pots and is likely to suck noticeable amounts of top-end... even if the push-connectors prove reliable, which is unknown. The pots are unlikely to even fit a Les Paul properly - the threaded bushings are too short as well as being too small a diameter to correctly fit the holes.

Sorry to be so negative, but I'm going by experience of these parts.

The good news is that if the pots do fit, there may be enough shielded cable to do the job properly if you ditch all the push-connectors and wire directly to the pots and switch…
    Appreciated the detailed feedback. I knew they weren’t much cop but great to get some info back - those Korean switches seem ok but, one for for draw of bits of bobs, thanks again!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    keep encouraging him just in case one day he brings back a set of PAF's with 50's wiring harness from the car boot instead ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    keep encouraging him just in case one day he brings back a set of PAF's with 50's wiring harness from the car boot instead ;)
    Exactly! When he rang and said he'd picked up wiring to go in a guitar and my mind started going to those places, a kind gesture but yep - you never know!