Audio Works Volume 1 - Nik Harrison

What's Hot
Not too long ago (but pre-covid), I "released" a collection of my recordings called Audio Works Volume 1. I say "released" in inverted commas because it was never made available on any platform. It was simply given away to anyone who wanted a copy. If anyone wanted it, they couple simply DM me on facebook with a name and address, and I would burn them a personalised CDR of the project and mail it out to them.

In that the inception of the project was very different from the other work that I do, I approached almost every aspect of it in a different way than how I would normally go about undertaking a recording and releasing it.

The 'liner notes' offer some insight into what the project was about:

"From my earliest memories, I was always interested in noises and the way in which they may be recorded, filtered, sculpted, and organised into musical ideas. It naturally followed that I found myself experimenting with cassette tapes, and no function that made a noise on my old MSX based Toshiba HX-10 computer escaped my attention. Intensive saving for a sampler and a reel to reel followed, and together with an old synthesiser (and classical training to guide the creativity), sampled ideas in conjunction with orchestration-based work found itself mashed up into what I can only describe as an eclectic, uncategorizable collection of results born of extensive experimentation. As a result of this, for a long time I’ve been contemplating what to do with a significant amount of work that has found itself in my primitive archive of tapes, DVD and CDRs, and ‘retired’ hard drives. Do I leave it all there forever, never to see the light of day, or do I work on it and share it? Is it good enough to share? Would anyone be interested in this kind of experimental work today when everything is produced to standards that are absolutely outstanding? Why would my bizarre experiments and compositional ideas of many years ago (some of which have been rescued and restored from some very old recordings) have any kind of place today? Music so radically different from other things that I do, and in places, so bizarre and unusual… There would only be one way to find out…"

Here are some links to some of the tracks which I've uploaded to youtube:

Teacher, musician, generally an enthusiastic and peaceful idealist. Run the Contemporary Guitar Performance Workshop education project and the Audio Design Workshop studio. Online guitar and piano/keyboard lessons available over Zoom/Skype. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nikharrisonnikharrison Frets: 95
    edited October 2021
    Reverting To Type

Teacher, musician, generally an enthusiastic and peaceful idealist. Run the Contemporary Guitar Performance Workshop education project and the Audio Design Workshop studio. Online guitar and piano/keyboard lessons available over Zoom/Skype. 
    edited October 2021
    edited October 2021
    edited October 2021
  • And some more of my stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/nik-harrison
  • Teacher, musician, generally an enthusiastic and peaceful idealist. Run the Contemporary Guitar Performance Workshop education project and the Audio Design Workshop studio. Online guitar and piano/keyboard lessons available over Zoom/Skype. 
  • Hi Nik - yes, certainly worth sharing your stuff which I am enjoying listening to. I am in the same position. Many years worth of material - some completed, some just as sketches and some still in my head. It has been great fun over the past few years discovering past recordings, adding guitar melodies and other parts to tracks that only had synthesizer guide-melodies, and getting the completed tracks onto SoundCloud (65 so far).

Should such music see the light of day and be shared? I think the answer has to be yes. If someone has created something, they should share it. Whether anyone listens to it and likes it is out of the writer's hands! In this spirit, I offer one of my pieces from an eclectic collection of melodic tunes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi again Nik. I am sorry but, on thinking about it, I was probably wrong to post one of my tracks in your post. No-one has mentioned it but it seems to me that it might interfere with the train of comments and feedback on your post and music. I will create a new post for my track. Sorry again - a forum novices' mistake.
  • Hi again Nik. I am sorry but, on thinking about it, I was probably wrong to post one of my tracks in your post. No-one has mentioned it but it seems to me that it might interfere with the train of comments and feedback on your post and music. I will create a new post for my track. Sorry again - a forum novices' mistake.
    It's ok with me... There might be forum etiquette, but I'm certainly not offended.

Thank you for the link  :)

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited October 2021
    Nik the video links aren't working for me. The soundcloud ones are. Sounding good  :)
  • Nik the video links aren't working for me. The soundcloud ones are. Sounding good  :)
    That was probably my fault…

hopefully this should work:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCgp_EHSobOxPhwrJ_iYMi6g
  • And thank you!
  • Nik the video links aren't working for me. The soundcloud ones are. Sounding good  :)
    It's because you edited after posting: a glitch turns the embedded Youtube vid into an image for some reason.
    It's because you edited after posting: a glitch turns the embedded Youtube vid into an image for some reason.
    Noted…

I’ll avoid that one in future.

Thank you for letting me know
  • Uploaded another tune:

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Anything that says 6.46 usual gets a skip ...or at best about 30s listen....but I get the idea...you can post your stuff on my Reddit channel if you care to..https://www.reddit.com/r/Newmusicreview/

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Much appreciated