Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fuzz (..and other animals) recommendations

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
edited October 2021 in FX
First off, this is my first foray into the ‘FX’ section in 4 years, so apologies if I’m covering well trodden ground here!

Im looking for a very dynamic fuzz or overdrive pedal to put in between a Strat / Tele and a 68 Custom Pro reverb (no other pedals) at loud home / small gig volume - I actually want it to enable me to go from ‘clean to mean’ with playing dynamics and get lots of textures in between rather than for full on filth - in fact, if it were to sound like an overdriving Pro Reverb when on 10, I’d be a happy man!

Not buggering up the interaction between guitar and amp would be ideal!

Cheers

Baz
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like a Fuzz Face.

The mini ones are good and come in various flavours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • curt_redmancurt_redman Frets: 18
    edited October 2021
    Sounds like you're describing a Thorpy FX Fallout Cloud, to me. Mine sounds killer with my Tele with the Fender Broadcaster/Twisted Tele pickups :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds like a Fuzz Face.

The mini ones are good and come in various flavours.
    Agreed. Sounds like a Fuzz Face is a good place to start.

Also something like a BMF Purple Nurple might work too - dynamic overdrive with a fuzzy edge to it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Cheers Gents

Re the Fuzz Faces, are there any circuit differences between the mini and full size?

Being a sucker for GAS-related marketing, I’d been drawn the full-sized Germanium one, but on a YouTube comparison, it didn’t clean up as well as the full-sized JoBo signature ..kinda made me think that the JoBo mini might be the way to go (yep, I actually just wrote that!) as long as it’s got enough weight to stay put if not on a pedalboard?
  • Maybe the JoBo has ‘better’ components? Fuzz faces only have about 5 components anyway :) 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like you're describing a Thorpy FX Fallout Cloud, to me. Mine sounds killer with my Tele with the Fender Broadcaster/Twisted Tele pickups :)

Hmm I have one too and it doesn't have the cleanup of a FF.
  • Sounds like you're describing a Thorpy FX Fallout Cloud, to me. Mine sounds killer with my Tele with the Fender Broadcaster/Twisted Tele pickups

Hmm I have one too and it doesn't have the cleanup of a FF.
    Yeah, to be fair, the FF would do the crystal clean thing better than the Fallout Cloud.

My Tele into the Fallout has some sort of magic, at gig levels, that I don't seem get with other pedals, so I'm probably a bit biased towards it D
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    If I were looking for such a thing, I'd look out for a Wampler Velvet Fuzz. I had one, and loved it, but sold it when I got my Helix. I believe there's one in the classifieds at the moment.

R.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Dunlop JH-1 Fuzz Face.
    Cleans up beautifully. Set fuzz on maximum and ride the guitar's controls.
  • Worth checking out the King Fuzz too. Really enjoy it, but not tried anything else:

• I have a Thorpy Fallout Cloud. It's a Big Muff style fuzz, wonderfully smooth and works with every guitar I own (Teles, Strats, LPs, 335 style etc). A superb pedal. It doesn't clean up when you back off your volume though. You really need a Fuzz Face type pedal for that.

Over the weekend I received a custom Germanium and Silicon dual fuzz from Expresso FX (https://expressofx.com/product/custom-shop-dual-germanium-silicon-fuzz/) that I ordered a few months ago. It's a Fuzz Face type pedal and the Ge side cleans up beautifully, especially with single coils. Back off the volume on a Strat or Tele and it's heavenly. It can even do a gated fuzz sound too by lowering the bias control if you're into that. The Si side is more full on and closer to the Fallout Cloud, but not as smooth. I'm still in the honeymoon period with this new pedal (obviously), but so far I'm pretty blown away. Sof, the guy behind Expresso FX, custom builds them to order I think. I found him great to deal with.

These two pedals cover every fuzz sound I'd ever want.

If you're not absolutely sold on the idea of a fuzz, Thorpy's Warthog will be more versatile. It covers everything from low(ish) gain overdrive, through distortion, to pretty fuzzy sounds. It's awesome.
  • Magnetic White Atom has FF DNA and cleans up beautifully when you back off. And I happen to have one for sale ;)
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • Got to say i am really happy with my Echoline fuzz which got great reviews in Guitar magazine a little while back
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    Hudson Broadcast.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    Fuzz face or perhaps a slightly different option - Mythos Golden Fleece.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    OK: the Phil Robinson Phuzz is masterful at precisely this and is well priced. 

If you've a bit more to spend TB2W by Boss. But the Phuzz is VERY close.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    As we are all recommending the Fuzz Faces we own, get an Expresso FX one. Germanium or Silicon based on how much 'cut' you want. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Cheers Gents - thanks for all the suggestions 

Dunlop Germanium Fuzz I’m it’s way to try out - more Whopper with cheese than Fillet steak, I appreciate, but figured I’d start with a classic
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    Sounds like you need a fuzz face. A mini fuzz face. 

An coincidentally I have a love little blue silicon one in the classifieds  ;)  
  • EvanEvan Frets: 326
    I second the Hudson Broadcast. Clean boost through to gut wrenching fuzziness. Dynamic and cleans up a treat.