Selling self-builds

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    The annoying bit is everyone I list generates a load of potential commission builds,  but I'm trying to avoid those :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1325
    Tony, It wasn't a Crimson design but I have posted it in a couple of threads before so may be familiar  ;)

Thanks Scott, I'm not looking to sell any at the moment, but potential value was something that came to mind and I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom of tFB. You're bang on regarding brand value - I know you and others like Ivison have worked very hard and over many years to build your reputation, such that people are willing to buy from just photos. Most of the value of Gibson is arguably in its brand, not its expertise in building guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    edited October 2021 tFB Trader
    davros said:
    Most of the value of Gibson is arguably in its brand, not its expertise in building guitars.
    Totally correct, they’re trading off their heritage which is amusing given that it’s really just the brand name that modern day Gibson shares with their origins. 

But rest assured, when you’re ready to sell there will be buyers out there willing to take a punt. Patience is all that’s required sometimes. They do look good so the rest of the process  should fall into place nicely 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    WezV said:
    Honestly @TTony I have some of the longest build threads on here and I don't think it makes a difference when it comes to selling them.  If anything  my warts and all approach might put a few off :D 

I don't know that the warts would put anyone off - if anything it should encourage and reassure them, seeing that you've been completely transparent about any issues, and also have the creativity and skills to completely resolve any issues!

And the time that you (& Andy) put in to documenting, sharing and explaining your builds is incredible.  Well above and beyond.  It's your inner teacher reappearing
    ;)

WezV said:
    The annoying bit is everyone I list generates a load of potential commission builds,  but I'm trying to avoid those :D
    Indeed - you *could* build vintage LP-alikes that'd sell easily and have a long waiting list of customers ... or you could try new things, satisfy your creativity and try-new-things urge, but then have to wait a while longer for the right customer to come along.

Half of me admires your determination to stick to doing things your own way, the other half wishes that there were more WezV builds out there that I wanted to buy!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    Sorry that they aren't selling Wez.  The hollow body is really nice and feels great to play.   With me being back in the States, it is harder to pick things up too!  I would take the hollow body in a heartbeat if I lived there, though having said that, perhaps I'd like to try the new one before I decided!   I wonder if people are still reluctant to come and see something with all the Covid messages that are around?
    Who knows.    I would keep then all if I could, just need some space now :D
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    I'm a bit strange when it comes to guitars, I would rather buy  handmade or Japanese rather than a USA standard model, yours and Wez' guitars are right up my street and would def love one to two however 3 kids and expensive rent always means I have to sell one to buy one,but when you only buy the non standard stuff that becomes a chore, I have had my 59 Gretsch up for months and not much interest because its not a [popular model, so MOney and Chain selling will def have influence on sales.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    There is no accounting for the tastes of potential purchasers.

Some people want a guitar that presents interesting musical possibilities. Others just want something about which they can brag to their mates. For the latter, brand recognition is all.

Some punters desire guitars that are associated with the music genre(s) that they intend to play. (Rockabilly = Gretsch. Shred = Ibanez or Jackson.) For them, the looks are vitally important. By definition, an original, self-designed instrument is unlikely to have any such associations. Poseurs won't buy it.
    Be seeing you.
    edited October 2021
    Joy of joys

tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Joy of joys

Brian didn’t want to hang around to receive your reply then?
    Nope
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Nope
    If he’s got 5 kids then he’d need a sense of humour.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This was the other odd one from last week.

• davrosdavros Frets: 1325
    The wonderful world on Facebook marketplace, just slightly fewer wierdos than Gumtree 
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 523
    I think there will always be a market.
    If you sell a few to friends you will soon enough build a reputation.

There will always be early adopters who will take a dip. 

I do like the red and green guitars in your picture. They tick boxes for me. 

Price wise, find out what people will pay. It maybe that the first few are break even, even loss making (I mean by discounting your time to a lower price).

Word of mouth is the key.

A cricket friend, Paul Aldred started small. I'm using one of his first bats in my picture. He now has a waiting list and repeat orders a plenty. That took dedication, great communication (youtube videos and facebook videos and pictures), and amazing service.

Good luck, back yourself, make what sells and then pivot into nuances. I don't know, I am sure you know plenty.

At the right price people will try and then build from there. That red but left handed would tick boxes for me.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    This was the other odd one from last week.

I get that sort of stuff all the time. Mainly on the business page. “Where are you located?”, “PM sent”, “what services do you offer” etc. They seem to be generic preset message options on Facebook and messenger.