The demise of sketch shows.

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
There seemed to be loads in the 70s', 80s ... and 90s I guess, but the once classic Sketch show format seems to have died on its arse. I absolutely loved That Mitchell and Webb look but even that finished 10 years ago. I don't particularly recall anything decent since then?

Monty Python must be one of the earliest, Morcambe & wise and also The two Ronnies were huge, later big shows included Kenny Everett, Not the nine o'clock news, Fry & Laurie, Absolutely, Smith & Jones, French & Saunders, Harry Enfield stuff, Smack the pony, Fast show, Little Britain. So many of them seemed like the event TV of the week back in their day. Where have they gone? Surely people still like a laff???

Have I missed any good uns?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    I liked Armstrong and Miller a lot.  I'm not a fan of just mumbling 'political correctness' but I think that has had an impact on them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    I liked Armstrong and Miller a lot.  I'm not a fan of just mumbling 'political correctness' but I think that has had an impact on them.
    have just be  watching their old shows on Prime, forgotten how funny they were.
  • axisus said:
    There seemed to be loads in the 70s', 80s ... and 90s I guess, but the once classic Sketch show format seems to have died on its arse. I absolutely loved That Mitchell and Webb look but even that finished 10 years ago. I don't particularly recall anything decent since then?

Monty Python must be one of the earliest, Morcambe & wise and also The two Ronnies were huge, later big shows included Kenny Everett, Not the nine o'clock news, Fry & Laurie, Absolutely, Smith & Jones, French & Saunders, Harry Enfield stuff, Smack the pony, Fast show, Little Britain. So many of them seemed like the event TV of the week back in their day. Where have they gone? Surely people still like a laff???

Suits you Sir
    I want that one
    Fork Handles
    Loads of Money
    All done in the best possible taste

See all you need is a "Catch Phrase"

“Ken sent me.”
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Apparently sketch shows cost too much to produce.
    'Reality shows' are far cheaper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I think Famalam was probably the last pre Covid sketch show on broadcast TV. Little Britain and the follow up ( the one in the airport?) probably the last ones pulling big numbers of viewers. 
    To some extent sketch shows and sitcoms will have been hit hard by Covid so potentially there will be a bit of a comeback. But compared to endless panel shows they are complex and expensive to make. They burn through written material whereas stick some mid range comedians behind a desk and they are responsible for their own writing ( and, hey, occasionally actually improvise!). 
    I'd suggest Taskmaster ( and the new Dave one in the woods that's a lot like Taskmaster) as maybe the closest thing now. They aren't sketch shows but they are a lot more complex than standard panel shows. There's a set up and a pay off - sketches with improvisation rather than a set script if you will. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Big Train was easily one of the best I've ever seen.

The first series at least, series 2 was ok but the addition of Catherine Tate let it down somewhat.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99 said:

The first series at least, series 2 was ok but the addition of Catherine Tate let it down somewhat.
    Yes I used to love Big Train and Smack the Pony
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Limmy's Show is recent and it's one of the best TV shows for a long time.

Key and Peele is recentish and it's outstanding as well.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Limmy's Show is recent and it's one of the best TV shows for a long time.

Limmy's Show finished in 2013. Key and Peele 2015, although I hadn't thought about non UK shows, the comedy sketch probably more ingrained in US culture than here. Saturday Night Live continues and one day they'll even do something funny. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22786
    edited October 2021
    Do Fist of Fun and This Morning With Richard Not Judy count as sketch shows?  They were ages ago, of course.

I think sketch shows have largely been replaced by all the panel shows... and of course there's Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway which is a weird mix of sketch show, game show and Tonight at the London Palladium.  Like it or not, they're the nearest we've got to a new Two Ronnies or Morecambe and Wise.  Except they're not funny.

Game shows seem to have had a resurgence in recent years, both daytime and primetime.  I'm all in favour of that.
  • Limmy's Show is recent and it's one of the best TV shows for a long time.

First series of Limmys show was incredible. 

• is Coffin Flop a Sketch Show? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4093
    As soon as it became inappropriate to chase a busty girl in a bikini around a field, the death bell of comedy sketch shows was rung.

Or maybe kids and young adults today consume YouTube tiktok and Snapchat influencer videos like their life depends on it, so there is no space in the market for a TV sketch show any more.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    tony99 said:

Yep. I was gonna mention Big Train. It’s definitely my fave. 

The Ming sketches were genius. 

I really liked Adam and Joe as well. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Is everythings a drum a Sketch Show? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• is Coffin Flop a Sketch Show? 
    I'm not sure, aren't sketch shows meant to be funny?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    axisus said:

before python there were a few. The Idiot Weekly, Not Only... But Also, At Last The 1948 Show, A Show Called red and Q.
    At Last and Q very obviously influenced Python 
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 628
    edited October 2021
    axisus said:
    Man Stroke Woman completely passed me by at the time – hit and miss like all sketch shows, but there was some funny stuff in there. Daisy Haggard was great in it.

And just because, my favourite sketch ever. People corpsing is always funnier than anything you could write.

• yockyyocky Frets: 809
    The Armando Iannucci Show was excellent.

Such a difficult format to do well. Most of them are dross.