Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

JHS Pack Rat -the mystery revealed!!

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    What is interesting is that amongst all the modes all the famous unicorn tears rats are represented just by mode 1 because an analysis suggested they are all the same including the expensive reissues.

I imagine some people will be fuming about that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not a big fan of the Rat, but I really enjoyed Josh's video about the new pedal. He knows how to do good YouTube. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @monquixote Id have to imagine literally none of them are surface mount though?

It'd be interesting to see if that manufacturing process produces a different sounding pedal (certainly we've been told for years that handwired sounds the best right?).

I also feel like what makes the older examples of pedals different is component drift over time (is that a thing?)...so things might become more irregular, less consistent and so on? Might be bollocks

tFB Trader
    JohnCordy said:

It'd be interesting to see if that manufacturing process produces a different sounding pedal (certainly we've been told for years that handwired sounds the best right?).

I also feel like what makes the older examples of pedals different is component drift over time (is that a thing?)...so things might become more irregular, less consistent and so on? Might be bollocks

I don't think any sensible person thinks surface mount pedals sound any different.

They are harder to repair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @monquixote surely the only reason that builders do it is because it is a cheaper and less labour intensive way to make a pedal en masse.

By that same token would it be fair to say you'd assume a Chinese built cheaper clone would sound the same?
    tFB Trader
    JohnCordy said:
    @monquixote surely the only reason that builders do it is because it is a cheaper and less labour intensive way to make a pedal en masse.

By that same token would it be fair to say you'd assume a Chinese built cheaper clone would sound the same?

If it uses the same components then it sounds the same.

Cheap Chinese clones are usually worse because they use crap bits.

Look at all the blind Klon comparisons. People generally can't tell the difference except for a slightly higher noise floor on the cheap ones.
    @monquixote I just think it flies in the face of a lot of the other things that the boutique pedal world sold us for quite a while if you know what I mean?

Just did a bit of reading and in the synth world the manufacturers say an smt design can end up smaller with shorter leads and therefore lower thermal noise etc?
    tFB Trader
    JohnCordy said:
    @monquixote I just think it flies in the face of a lot of the other things that the boutique pedal world sold us for quite a while if you know what I mean?

Just did a bit of reading and in the synth world the manufacturers say an smt design can end up smaller with shorter leads and therefore lower thermal noise etc?

It depends on who you talk to.

There are plenty of people who think putting a pedal in a brass case makes it sound better.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If it doesn’t have a Mooer Black Secret option, I’m not interested. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I'm in Camden guitar guitar part exing an amp.

It is indeed called a Packrat. 

Pics here. 

http://imgur.com/gallery/H1IAe3c

Looks like they've done a modded rat with the same a different name before. 

https://www.jhspedals.info/proco-rat-rat-pack

No mention of this one online.

Question is.... Do I buy it? I have no need for a Rat pedal. 

That was confusing!
    Not a big fan of the Rat, but I really enjoyed Josh's video about the new pedal. He knows how to do good YouTube. 

This. ^^ Thoroughly splendid. :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Had a couple of the demos on. The only one that really leapt out was the one based on the old Caroline pedal. So, least Rat like probably. 
    Josh's video is quite watchable and there is a link it's description to his written history of The Rat if you want more detail. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    JohnCordy said:

I don't think any sensible person thinks surface mount pedals sound any different.

Not strictly true.
    Only harder to repair if you don’t have the correct tools.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    JohnCordy said:

Not strictly true.

Yeah, I meant for a hobbyist to fiddle about with using a soldering iron.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    edited October 2021
    I watched his demo of it last night, a super informative video as always but didn't make me come away thinking "I need a RAT", much less seven types of RAT in one pedal...

Also, I'm not sure how comfortable I am giving JHS any money...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    edited October 2021
    I love Josh on YouTube, but I’ve had lots of rats (Woodcutter, Whiteface) etc, but sold them on every time. The Coxon fanboy in me really wanted to love a Rat…but the Thorpyfx stuff blows them away. Even my cheap Palmer solid metal sounded massive in comparison…And I don’t need 7 variations with what sound like EQ tweaks….
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Loobs said:
    I watched his demo of it last night, a super informative video as always but didn't make me come away thinking "I need a RAT"
    (That did a weird quote thing? Odd) 

What was I going to say? Oh yeah, no you need nine variations of a RAT!  Even Josh in the end was saying just buy a ProCo Lil RAT. 
    I just don't understand the market for pedals like the Pack Rat. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    JohnCordy said:

Not strictly true.

They are often able to be more quiet as well. So like... Better.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited October 2021
    Loobs said:
    I watched his demo of it last night, a super informative video as always but didn't make me come away thinking "I need a RAT", much less seven types of RAT in one pedal...

Also, I'm not sure how comfortable I am giving JHS any money...
    Yeah I'd rather go for the Wampler Ratsbane i think. As I understand it is Brian's take on the Rat rather than a direct copy, and the higher gain side sounds good and different. Also the graphics are cooler which is the most important thing.
  • I watched the intro vid - interesting and entertaining video and by the end of it I was almost convinced. When they show up
    used I’ll be interested. I liked the LA metal and Caroline modes but the others were all good too. 

I find I am enjoying JHS’ videos more the more I watch them. Especially when he’s got another builders pedals on.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    edited October 2021
    His videos are great, informative, well produced and well researched. And he can play well enough to demo all that gear. I find his sense of humour a little odd and his (apparent) religious affiliations somewhat dubious, but whatever. I can't see myself ever buying a JHS product.