Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

JHS Pack Rat -the mystery revealed!!

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• Bought a JAM Rattler last week.
      It has finally given me a full on rock tone with  my Strat. Stacks great too.
    surecthe PackRat is good, but the Rattler is stunning and quiet too.
    The latest Andertons blind test video sold it to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gadget said:
    ... I won't be paying £220 for one. Isn't a real one only about 90 quid, and most of the boutiquey ones seem to run around 180...

Interesting observation. It's a bit like...

Purchase Option (1): Genuine original Ferrari 355 - £90,000

Purchase Option (2): DIY imitation Ferrari-a-like 355 that has a switch to make it drive like a some other Ferraris too - £220,000
    More like:

Ford Mustang ~$10k
    Shelby GT Mustang ~$30k

Yes, they’re largely similar underneath, but one is supercharged and running on steroids, whereas the other is not.

(wildly inaccurate figures used for illustration only) 
    It's not really running on steroids though. It's more a car that's trying to be 7 other cars, that all drive and look almost identical, with small differences
    Why would you consider it only trying?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895

Because, defacto, it isn't really all those different pedals. It is a copy/clone/re-imagining, which we seem happy to pay more money for than an original which started the whole ball rolling?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 735
    edited November 2021
    Gadget said:

Because, defacto, it isn't really all those different pedals. It is a copy/clone/re-imagining, which we seem happy to pay more money for than an original which started the whole ball rolling?
    Fair enough, perfectly valid point of view. 

My opinion would be that a circuit is a circuit, and the JHS one along with a lot of the other clones/spinoffs are likely to be using good quality parts and faithful to the original spec, possibly  moreso than the Chinese made reissue which will have much lower tolerances etc.

And hence you're getting 7 slight variations of a particular pedal that are as near as anyone can tell just as good as the originals they're based on. 

You're absolutely right though, if you A/B an expensive clone with lots of options and end up using the 'stock' rat setting all the time, the original, widely available RAT 2 is probably the right call. 
  • Gadget said:

Fair enough, perfectly valid point of view. 

My opinion would be that a circuit is a circuit, and the JHS one along with a lot of the other clones/spinoffs are likely to be using good quality parts and faithful to the original spec, possibly  moreso than the Chinese made reissue which will have much lower tolerances etc.

And hence you're getting 7 slight variations of a particular pedal that are as near as anyone can tell just as good as the originals they're based on. 

You're absolutely right though, if you A/B an expensive clone with lots of options and end up using the 'stock' rat setting all the time, the original, widely available RAT 2 is probably the right call. 
    I think it would have been interesting to maybe have a rat with a green ringer or something like that as an option

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey