Ebay Scam or something else ?

What's Hot
musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
edited October 2021 in Guitar
Just bought a guitar from an auction house only to find it has been listed on ebay for the past week or so by an independent  seller who has used the auction houses photos .  

Is this a scam or are they hoping to sell the guitar and the use the funds to bid at the auction  , they have good feedback and have several other items listed ( mostly books ) . 

I was looking to restore to sell on but now may struggle as they have "sold " it twice cheaply for less than I have paid   .  Anyone come across this before ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited October 2021
    Don’t quite understand your comment about struggling to recoup costs after you’ve done it up. You bought the guitar from the auction house for a price you wanted to pay that’s it. They can’t land you with any eBay costs or are trying to? 
    If you haven’t actually received the guitar then they either send it to you for the hammer price plus commission or renege on the deal and sell it to the punter on eBay. 

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
    edited October 2021
    Don’t quite understand your comment about struggling to recoup costs after you’ve done it up. You bought the guitar from the auction house for a price you wanted to pay that’s it. They can’t land you with any eBay costs or are trying to? 
    If you haven’t actually received the guitar then they either send it to you for the hammer price plus commission or renege on the deal and sell it to the punter on eBay. 

Sorry for the confusion , the  seller on ebay has downloaded the photos from the auction house page which they used on the ebay page . 

They "sold " it for 225 then again on best offer for around 500 over the last week or so . 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    Just bought a guitar from an auction house only to find it has been listed on ebay for the past week or so by an independent  seller who has used the auction houses photos.  
    Presumably, the auction house and the eBay lister are separate entities? 

It is not unknown for chancers to help themselves to photographs of items they neither possess nor have any right to sell.

Typically, a gullible buyer pays in full only for the goods to never arrive. By the time a dispute has been formally raised, the seller has disappeared, never to be heard from again … well, not under that identity.

The buyer may eventually get some recompense from eBay coffers but the community as a whole suffers.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility for an auction house to perpetrate a scam of this sort BUT not without undermining their reputation.
    Be seeing you.
  • Just bought a guitar from an auction house only to find it has been listed on ebay for the past week or so by an independent  seller who has used the auction houses photos.  
    Presumably, the auction house and the eBay lister are separate entities? 

It is not unknown for chancers to help themselves to photographs of items they neither possess nor have any right to sell.

Typically, a gullible buyer pays in full only for the goods to never arrive. By the time a dispute has been formally raised, the seller has disappeared, never to be heard from again … well, not under that identity.

The buyer may eventually get some recompense from eBay coffers but the community as a whole suffers.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility for an auction house to perpetrate a scam of this sort BUT not without undermining their reputation.
    Yes they are definitely two separate sellers   ,  the auction house is one of the biggest in the country and list around 1000+ lots a week while the ebay has around 150 feedback and sells mostly James bond / Spy books . 

Dont think if its a scam where they list and run off with the cash but maybe listing  /selling items without them being in their possession so no risk to them   .

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    Sounds as if the eBay seller has been hacked by a third party. 
    Be seeing you.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    I’d put money on it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245 said:
    I’d put money on it.
    Will contact ebay and the auction house tomorrow , also will send a message to the seller and ask if he still has the guitar for sale .
  • To be fair it does sound like an ebay scam where someone is either been hacked and false auction is up or the knowing selling items they don't have. 

I had a hack a few years ago where suddenly I was unable to get into my ebay account and when I did I found I was selling Microsoft software (I don't have any Microsoft software) and my PayPal had changed. Luckily nothing had been sold as it was around 20 minutes of being locked out but it does happen 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    It's common for Japanese sellers to advertise something they've seen elsewhere on the assumption they could buy the original item cheap and then sell it on.
    You'll often see the same item on offer multiple times simultaneously.
  • Don’t quite understand your comment about struggling to recoup costs after you’ve done it up. You bought the guitar from the auction house for a price you wanted to pay that’s it. They can’t land you with any eBay costs or are trying to? 

Sorry for the confusion , the  seller on ebay has downloaded the photos from the auction house page which they used on the ebay page . 

They "sold " it for 225 then again on best offer for around 500 over the last week or so . 

So as I understand it now the general consensus is, you’ve bought the guitar from the auction house, a cad and bounder has nicked the photos and is busy scamming people on eBay. From what you’ve said about the scammer the guitar in question is definitely worth £225 maybe £500 how much did you pay?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Don’t quite understand your comment about struggling to recoup costs after you’ve done it up. You bought the guitar from the auction house for a price you wanted to pay that’s it. They can’t land you with any eBay costs or are trying to? 

So as I understand it now the general consensus is, you’ve bought the guitar from the auction house, a cad and bounder has nicked the photos and is busy scamming people on eBay. From what you’ve said about the scammer the guitar in question is definitely worth £225 maybe £500 how much did you pay?
    After speaking to ebay they said it's not a hijacked account / sale so guessing its  case of selling the guitar on ebay and then bidding at the auction with the funds so hopefully making a profit with no outlay  . The despatch time on the listing was 7 days - 10 days unlike their other auctions  which are marked down as 48hrs giving them time to collect and post the guitar off .   
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    One thing I don't understand, you said you bought the guitar from the auction house, but this guy on eBay is selling it in the anticipation that he'll then buy it from the auction house...

Where is the guitar now, physically?  Have you got it, or is it still at the auction house?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Perhaps the ebay seller works for a courier. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Philly_Q said:
    One thing I don't understand, you said you bought the guitar from the auction house, but this guy on eBay is selling it in the anticipation that he'll then buy it from the auction house...

Where is the guitar now, physically?  Have you got it, or is it still at the auction house?
    If someone else bags it at the auction, then they simply pull the ebay listing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:

Its at the auction house at the moment  , I informed them what happened and they asked for the listing details so they can investigate - they confirmed they still have it and  I am going to collect it tomorrow  .

The ebay listings ended 10 days and 3 days ago -  I think  they were hoping to sell it for say £500 and then bid less at the auction and pocket the difference  as the estimate at the auction was 80 - 150 , it ended up selling for 420 + commission .

The first listing ended at 225 then they relisted it again at 500 , the auction house page shows the current bid price so may have been tracking it and changing the price accordingly. 

I emailed the seller but have had no response .  they currently have 3 other guitars for sale which are on different backgrounds clearly taken from another auction site ( still have the lot numbers on the body )  but are more of the budget end of the market .  

I dont want to mention the seller of the guitars just in case but have informed ebay . 

• PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    That seems like a ball ache to make a few quid
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Could it just be the seller has the same model of guitar, was too lazy to take their own photos and everything otherwise is above board? I’ve seen lots of things on eBay listed with photos from some catalogue or other. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom