Good Songs Spoiled By Just One Line

What's Hot

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Cols said:
    munckee said:
    Wanking on the Moon.

Ooops, that's the Change a Letter of a Song Thread I should be on.

Wanking in Memphis. 
    Or the Page and Plant classic, Wanking Into Clarksdale.
    Wank By Pantera has an amazing solo though. 
    Wank this way ought to be added to the list
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    I think I posted this in another similar thread in the past, but a lot of AC/DC lyrics are really shit.

I like a lot of their music, but listening to some bloke go on about sex isn't something I particularly want to listen to.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like a bit of Brad Paisley but I'm never quite sure how much he has his tongue in his cheek. The lyric 
     There's a gun in my truck
    Oh thank God I'm still a guy
    From I'm Still a Guy seemed to cross a line. I watched a concert he did for the BBC and he introduced the song saying he knew people in the UK didn't like the line about guns - I still didn't know how serious he was being. Although the song as a whole if taken seriously would be misogynist and homophobic.   
    BP fan here too, I think in those 3rd/4th/5th albums he was playing up to what people want to here including the beliefs you mention. His more recent albums have stayed away from matters like that as I imagine he doesn't want to be called out for the above. I am not sure her plays them now either. 

There is definitely some tongue in cheek in most of his stuff though.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4773
    Philly_Q said:
    Boromedic said:
    Philly_Q said:
    There's a line in a song by The Darkness which not only spoiled the song, it actually put me off the band and I've barely listened to them since.  The song is English Country Garden and the line goes:

"My cock and Farmer Giles' prizewinning marrow"

I'm sure some will find that hilarious, I'm sure I overreacted, but I was already hugely disappointed with that second album and that line was so pathetic, so infantile... I'm still pissed off.
    That line is cringeworthy, but you're missing out on some good stuff on that album if you've avoided it since!
    No, I thought the whole album was a load of wank.  I truly loved the first album and the second was a crushing disappointment.  I don't think I'll ever forgive them...  Their later stuff may (or may not) be great, musically, but Justin's wacky persona no longer entertains me, he just irritates me too much for me to buy his records.
    Even stuff like, Is It Just Me? Or the title track or Knockers? They're decent tracks sort of comparable to their best. He can be marmite I agree, he just makes me laugh to be honest, stream Open Fire, Barbarian or Solid Gold on line and see what you think? 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I like a bit of Brad Paisley but I'm never quite sure how much he has his tongue in his cheek. The lyric 
     There's a gun in my truck
    Oh thank God I'm still a guy
    From I'm Still a Guy seemed to cross a line. I watched a concert he did for the BBC and he introduced the song saying he knew people in the UK didn't like the line about guns - I still didn't know how serious he was being. Although the song as a whole if taken seriously would be misogynist and homophobic.   
    BP fan here too, I think in those 3rd/4th/5th albums he was playing up to what people want to here including the beliefs you mention. His more recent albums have stayed away from matters like that as I imagine he doesn't want to be called out for the above. I am not sure her plays them now either. 

There is definitely some tongue in cheek in most of his stuff though.
    I know he did lyrics against racism and just some silly stuff  so I find it hard to know how to take him sometimes. I often say I'm someone not interested in lyrics but it is a musical style that is selling a lyric so you hear it even if you've just signed on for the twiddly guitar bits.    
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6987
    I’ll go for Sweet Lady by Queen.  Fairly poxy lyrics throughout, but “You call me sweet like I'm some kind of cheese” particularly stands out.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 123
    edited October 2021
    Around the World by Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Ning, nang, nong, nong, neng, neng, nong, nong, ning, nang"

That line was cringe worthy back then but my god it's just sounds offensive now.
  • You'd be hard pressed to see Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti.  Kilimanjaro rises above the Tsavo national park. The Serengeti is 250km away. 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    You'd be hard pressed to see Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti.  Kilimanjaro rises above the Tsavo national park. The Serengeti is 250km away. 

Kilimanjaro is often surrounded by clouds.  You might be hard pressed to see it from the Tsavo national park.

It's beautiful looking at a sunrise over the clouds at the summit though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22711
    Radio Ga Ga - although it's the whole chorus, not just one line.  I've always found it cringey.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 631
    I think the real point of this thread is to answer that universal question from throughout the eons of time:

Are we human? Or are we dancer?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darius said:
    I think the real point of this thread is to answer that universal question from throughout the eons of time:

Are we human? Or are we dancer?
    Or whether we've got a soul not but are not a soldier. 

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1323
    I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello.
    We all know that problematic line in question...

I'd also add Alanis Morrissette's You Oughta Know -
    "Would she go down on you in a theatre...?"
    Always seemed like it was trying a little too hard to shock...

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30873

Most of Jimmy Page's live solo's....but apparently several lines were involved.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22711
    CaseOfAce said:

Until now I hadn't been aware there was any controversy about the song and I haven't heard it for decades, but as soon as I read your comment the relevant line popped immediately into my head. 

Weird to think that used to be played by Tony Blackburn and Dave "The Hairy Cornflake" Lee Travis and no-one batted an eyelid.

I have not attempted to analyse the lyrics but presumably no offence or racial slur was intended.  It's just the use of the word itself which is problematic.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Philly_Q said:
    CaseOfAce said:

Until now I hadn't been aware there was any controversy about the song and I haven't heard it for decades, but as soon as I read your comment the relevant line popped immediately into my head. 

Weird to think that used to be played by Tony Blackburn and Dave "The Hairy Cornflake" Lee Travis and no-one batted an eyelid.

I have not attempted to analyse the lyrics but presumably no offence or racial slur was intended.  It's just the use of the word itself which is problematic.
    I've never really given it a lot of thought. In context I think it works although the N word on daytime radio probably not suitable for daytime radio as any offensive or obscene word wouldn't be suitable regardless of context (the BBC play an edited version these days apparently). I don't think Cannon and Ball got that far in the lyrics in their version... 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    Power of Love - Frankie

Great song. Christmassy without being about Christmas. Ruined by...

"I'll protect you from the Hooded Claw."

He was Penelope Pitstop's lawyer if you didn't know. Hardly a major badass. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 844
    I suppose it sounds better than Sylvester Sneakly though ... the Hooded Claw's real name.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    You'd be hard pressed to see Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti.  Kilimanjaro rises above the Tsavo national park. The Serengeti is 250km away. 
    So Kilimanjaro is just like Olympus - a long way from the Serengeti. :)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    Happy birthday to you chugs by beautifully until "dear ***** (insert name here) and then it become dull and conventional. Terrible disappointment. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom